Windows 10: Drive Letter for CD keeps changing

Discus and support Drive Letter for CD keeps changing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello --- I just noticed that eadh time I restart my laptop, drive letter for the CD reverts back to E: --- I then reset it to my prefered letter V:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fpefpe, Apr 28, 2020.

1. fpefpe Win User

Drive Letter for CD keeps changing

Hello --- I just noticed that eadh time I restart my laptop, drive letter for the CD reverts back to E: --- I then reset it to my prefered letter V: -- This seems to happen each time I restart my computer -- is there a way I can make this change permanent?

:)

fpefpe, Apr 28, 2020

2. Cannot change drive letter

Hello,

I request you to try the steps below:

• Press "Windows" + "R" on the keyboard.
    • Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter key.
    • Now right click on the drive and select Change drive letter or path.
    • Select the drive and click on Change.
    • Now select the drive letter and click on OK.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Apr 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    I would like to inform you that the issue might have occurred due to some changes made to your computer.

I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows + X keys and click on Disk Management.
    • Right click on the external drive and click on Change Drive letter and paths.
    • Click on Change the button.
    • Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.
    • Click Ok to save changes.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Apr 28, 2020
  4. LemP Win User

Optical drive letters keep swapping

Open Disk Management (click Start, type diskmgmt.msc in the Search box, and press Enter).

1. In the lower pane, right-click on your optical drive and select "Change drive letter and paths"
    2. Assign Y: to the first optical drive
    3. Repeat step 1 for the second optical drive and assign Z:

Thema:

1. Drive Letter for CD keeps changing - Similar Threads - Drive Letter keeps

2. SOLVED: CAN'T CHANGE DISK LETTER FOR CD/DVD DRIVES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SOLVED: CAN'T CHANGE DISK LETTER FOR CD/DVD DRIVES: Hi, This is more like an instructions post rather than a question. I've seen a lot of people having problems with this and i face one myself.On short, most people have a "virtual" CD drive in their pc because of Xbox. Even if you dont have a CD ROM in you pc, if you have...
  3. SOLVED: CAN'T CHANGE DISK LETTER FOR CD/DVD DRIVES

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SOLVED: CAN'T CHANGE DISK LETTER FOR CD/DVD DRIVES: Hi, This is more like an instructions post rather than a question. I've seen a lot of people having problems with this and i face one myself.On short, most people have a "virtual" CD drive in their pc because of Xbox. Even if you dont have a CD ROM in you pc, if you have...
  4. SOLVED: CAN'T CHANGE DISK LETTER FOR CD/DVD DRIVES

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I change the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive?: I need to reassign the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive to avoid conflict with preassigned external drives that are used by various programs , backup procedures etc.It doesn't seem to show up in device manager, storage volumes etc...
  6. How do I change the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive?: I need to reassign the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive to avoid conflict with preassigned external drives that are used by various programs , backup procedures etc.It doesn't seem to show up in device manager, storage volumes etc...
  7. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  8. How to Change Letter of CD Burner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Change Letter of CD Burner: HiI got the blue screen of death and had to reset my windows 10 laptop. When it reset in had jumbled that letters of all my drives.I went to disc management and my CD burner is not in the list. I need to change as all my links are no longer workingQuestion how can I get...
  9. How to change CD Drive's letter?

How to change CD Drive's letter?: I have both dvd and cd Drives shown on my computer on my laptop, i need to change the CD letter but, only DVD is shown in different programs. [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  10. Drive letters/numbers keep changing

Drive letters/numbers keep changing: I'm running Win 10 Pro. I have two hard drives in my PC, both are exactly the same - I use Acronis TrueImage to regularly clone one drive to another as a backup. I've done this for a long time on my old PC running Win 7 64-Bit but have recently bought another PC (spec'd by...