Windows 10: Drive letter for D, E, Y and Z are incorrect and I can't change them.

Discus and support Drive letter for D, E, Y and Z are incorrect and I can't change them. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This all started with 10 needing more space than Microsoft stated. I cloned the original drive and adjusted the space accordingly. I had problems but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CheckMarc, Feb 26, 2017.

1. CheckMarc Win User

Drive letter for D, E, Y and Z are incorrect and I can't change them.

This all started with 10 needing more space than Microsoft stated. I cloned the original drive and adjusted the space accordingly. I had problems but finally got it to boot to but my drive letters for; D (Program Files), E (Documents), Y (Temp) and Z (BackUps) are moved around to; F (Program Files), G (Documents), D (Temp) and E (BackUps). I can access Control Panel but I can't access any Command Prompts, Regedit or Device Manager even though C:\ is the Windows drive. I get a message that "Windows cannot find C:\Windows\System32\diskmgmt.msc when I try to access Disk Management. I tried right clicking and opening properties and locating it manually and I get the same message. I've tried changing the drive letters from the Command Prompt using 10's install disk and Advanced under repairs. I've tried using Falcon Four UBCD and accessing the Registry from it. Neither one works.

:)

CheckMarc, Feb 26, 2017

2. Drive letter for D, E, Y and Z are incorrect and I can't change them.

Your drive letters seem to be all wrong. Fixing them might be possible but will require a lot of patience, considerable skills while working at the Command Prompt and also a bootable Windows Repair flash disk. Do you have all of these?

When launching File Explorer, on which drive(s) do you see the folder "\Windows"?

Frederik Long, Feb 26, 2017
  3. CheckMarc Win User

This all started with 10 needing more space than Microsoft stated. I cloned the original drive and adjusted the space accordingly. I had problems but finally got it to boot to but my drive letters for; D (Program Files), E (Documents), Y (Temp) and Z (BackUps)
    are moved around to; F (Program Files), G (Documents), D (Temp) and E (BackUps). I can access Control Panel but I can't access any Command Prompts, Regedit or Device Manager even though C:\ is the Windows drive. I get a message that "Windows cannot find C:\Windows\System32\diskmgmt.msc
    when I try to access Disk Management. I tried right clicking and opening properties and locating it manually and I get the same message. I've tried changing the drive letters from the Command Prompt using 10's install disk and Advanced under repairs. I've
    tried using Falcon Four UBCD and accessing the Registry from it. Neither one works.

CheckMarc, Feb 26, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

You cannot change the Windows OS drive letter once it has been assigned by Windows during the install or clone. You would have to reinstall Windows cleanly to solve the problem. Try a clean install of Windows to a new drive, then attach the old drive as a secondary and assign the drive letters you like.
    Once you can browse the C: drive and access Disk Management, Or you can use a 3rd party app like Minitool Partition Wizard , you can change the drive letter for all the other drives easily.

spunk, Feb 28, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Just wondering.. what's the significance of F:\Program Files? I hope you haven't used a registry editor to change the ProgramFilesDir key(s) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

That would make life hard- it's not supported.

Similarly what's Temp - provided what's in that is entirely material under your control and not OS temp files, that's fine.

dalchina, Mar 1, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Also note that for the last few versions of Windows drive letter Z: has been used for the first Mapped Network drive then works back up the alphabet for additional such drives. I have Z: and Y: assigned for my 2 NAS drives. If never mapping such drives the letters can be used for other drives and I've noticed on a few computers that Z: was a partition used by the OEMs when installing.

Berton, Mar 1, 2017
  7. CheckMarc Win User
    I ended up copying the backup back afteI deleted the mapped drives. Everything seems to be working fine.

CheckMarc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Drive letter for D, E, Y and Z are incorrect and I can't change them. - Similar Threads - Drive letter are

2. Windows will not boot with d and/or e drive plugged in but if I unplug them from the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows will not boot with d and/or e drive plugged in but if I unplug them from the...: Windows will not boot with d and/or e drive plugged in but if I unplug them from the motherboard then plug them back in when windows gets to the login screen then they will work fine. I am using atlas 10 22h2 which is a modified version of windows that can minimise cpu/ram...
  3. Windows will not boot with d and/or e drive plugged in but if I unplug them from the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows will not boot with d and/or e drive plugged in but if I unplug them from the...: Windows will not boot with d and/or e drive plugged in but if I unplug them from the motherboard then plug them back in when windows gets to the login screen then they will work fine. I am using atlas 10 22h2 which is a modified version of windows that can minimise cpu/ram...
  4. Drive letter changed from D: to E:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letter changed from D: to E:: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  5. Drive letter changed from D: to E:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive letter changed from D: to E:: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  6. Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  7. Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  8. How to change SYSTEM drive letter from C to any other letter (A or Z)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change SYSTEM drive letter from C to any other letter (A or Z): Hello! I have a dark desire and some OCD related spasms to make some changes on how Windows10 is arranging the drive letters in explorer.exe, i would really appreciate any guide, advice or joke :) on this. Short story I want to change the default system partition letter...
  9. D and E drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D and E drives: Hi all, can anyone enlighten me as to why my D or E drives don't work, I want to copy some tracks onto my OC then burn them to another disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/d-and-e-drives/6cf8b911-ce0d-4e4e-a023-019f7c54a140
  10. How to change E Drive to D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change E Drive to D: On my Windows 10 Surface I have attached two extra separate hard drives via USB cables. For the last 12 months one was D: the other G:. Now they show up as E: and G: I have lots of links to files on my D: drive. How do I rename this E: back to D:?...