Windows 10: drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters

Discus and support drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have a portable hard drive that when I plug in it is always allocated a drive letter of "M". I have programmed SYNC Toy to back up my PC to the M... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Agh55, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Agh55 Win User

drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters

Hi, I have a portable hard drive that when I plug in it is always allocated a drive letter of "M". I have programmed SYNC Toy to back up my PC to the M Drive. However now it is been allocated a drive letter of P. When I go to "This PC", I can see the drive letter M is showing and is free. When I go to Disk management, right click the Portable hard drive to change the drive letter, M is not showing. How can I free this up to reallocate the drive letter M.

:)

Agh55, Oct 6, 2018

2. Drive Letters not available

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If the letter E is not available it may be because it’s being used by any other drives. we can see from the screenshot which you have provided that the E: drive is used by DVD/CD-ROM.

If you want to assign E to Another drive you may have to assign DVD drive to any other letter which will free up the Alphabet E.

Please follow the steps to change the drive letter:

1.Right click on the start button and select Disk management.

2.Right click on the drive which you want to rename and select change drive letter and paths.

3.select the drive from the list and press apply and ok.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further. Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Oct 6, 2018
  3. Drive Letters not available

Oha I did miss that every was assigned to a DVD drive. Thanks for pointing that out I am sure I can resolve it now.

As usability feedback I'd like to add why I did miss it: I was assuming that all drives and letters are shown in the top right list.

again many thanks drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters :)

OliverGraiff, Oct 6, 2018
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 6, 2018
Thema:

1. drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters - Similar Threads - drive letter missing

2. Dislk drive letter not available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dislk drive letter not available: I have just upgraded to WIN 11 on my desktop PC. Previously, I had used Disk Management to change an external drive to "H". Now, even if I move this drive to different usb portals, it is renamed "G". So I again used Disk Management to try change it back only to find that "H"...
  3. Dislk drive letter not available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dislk drive letter not available: I have just upgraded to WIN 11 on my desktop PC. Previously, I had used Disk Management to change an external drive to "H". Now, even if I move this drive to different usb portals, it is renamed "G". So I again used Disk Management to try change it back only to find that "H"...
  4. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: I want to change the drive letters ... How do you do that? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/c20d65a1-bc5b-48e3-8183-51a96d3c09fd
  5. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: How do you add or change the flash drive letters? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/2bd3eb65-decb-4598-ade6-c73118a79b0a
  6. Windows 10 - drive letters not available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - drive letters not available: Hi, I have the following odd situation... Introduction: I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on one of my PC's. I used the iso of v1709 (Windows 10 Fall 2017) because that was the latest iso I had available on CD. In the mean time the PC upgraded to v1803 (Windows 10...
  7. drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters: Hi, I have a portable hard drive that when I plug in it is always allocated a drive letter of "M". I have programmed SYNC Toy to back up my PC to the M Drive. However now it is been allocated a drive letter of P. When I go to "This PC", I can see the drive letter M is showing...
  8. Drive Letter

Drive Letter: I have automatic updates for windows 10. I have a separate drive normally connected to one of my windows devices. For many years this drive now identifies 100's of folders and many more files. When first installed it was allocated letter 'F' which since my latest update has...
  9. Drive letter missing.

Drive letter missing.: So just installed 10 - clean install over windows 7. I have 2 internal harddrives - one was designated as Drive G. But for some reason 10 removed G and so in computer mgmt I ended up redesignsting it as Drive Z. Any way to get the letter “G” back ? 112781
  10. Drive Letters

Drive Letters: When I plug a USB stick in any USB port the laptop allocates the next available letter to this drive - "E" - this applies to any USB stick I normally use. EXCEPT for one particular USB stcik which always shows up as "G" even though "E" and "F" are available. What's...