Windows 10: Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer

Discus and support Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have one and only one letter assigned to a drive that is not recognized by the Windows Explorer. It is visible in the Disk Management console. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JohnCz, Jul 30, 2020.

1. JohnCz Win User

Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer

I have one and only one letter assigned to a drive that is not recognized by the Windows Explorer. It is visible in the Disk Management console.

When I change the letter Explorer displays this drive. When I assign this letter to another drive, it disappears from Explorer.

My conclusion is that not a drive is a culprit but rather some Windows settings. I was not able to find any logical answer that addresses this problem.

Thanks.

:)

JohnCz, Jul 30, 2020
  2. [JZ] Win User

Drive Letter Choice causes drives to become invisible or visible

I'm trying to change a drive letter in Disk Manager from any letter to the letter F. While the letter F is available, when I make the change the drive becomes invisible.

This has happened with two different physical internal hard drives with two different starting drive letters (G and Z respectively).

If I change the drive letters back, the drives will become visible again.

For background information, the computer used to have a physical hard drive labelled F that I am replacing. The BIOS properly recognizes the new drive, it is properly formatted, and with the drive letter G it is visible and files are accessible.

After removing the original drive F and rebooting and then changing the drive letter on the G drive to F, the drive immediately becomes invisible in windows file explorer but remains visible in Disk Manager. If I change the letter back to G, the drive will
    immediately become visible again.

I have a lot of programs which access data files on Drive F and I really want the new drive to use F for the drive letter.

Please suggest solutions to this problem. Thanks!

3. cobrasl Win User
    External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

followed steps..

the partition displayed as below...

Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer [​IMG]

as advised I selected "list".. and for a long time it was like this..

Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer [​IMG]

cobrasl, Jul 30, 2020
  4. Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer

D: drive not visible after installing Anniversary update on Windows 10.

Hi,

Unallocated drives are those whose names are not allocated when partitioned or installed. You will be able to view the drive in
    File explorer only if a drive letter or name is allocated. You will not be able to view the drive in
    File explorer if a drive name or letter is not allocated.

Since the drive is not visible in the File explorer window, assign a drive letter/name (if not assigned) manually from
    Disk management by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option from the context menu. Check if the drive is visible in the window.
    • If visible, right click on the Unallocated disk drive and select
      New Simple Volume option. Follow the onscreen instructions where in the process a window to assign a drive letter is available. Assign a drive letter.
    • After allocating a drive letter, right click on the drive and select
      Open
      . Check if you are able to open the drive in File Explorer.
    • Close the Disk management window, open File Explorer (Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard) and check if the changes are effective.

If the issue persists, run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if any of the hardware components is missing or corrupted.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type troubleshooter and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View all from left side panel of the screen.
    • Select Hardware and Devices, click on Advanced
      option and check Apply repairs automatically option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.
    • After troubleshooting is completed, check the status of the troubleshooter shown on the window.

Write to us with the status of D: drive not visible on the computer after Anniversary update in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer

1. Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Drive letter visible

2. Mapped Drives Not Visible in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapped Drives Not Visible in Windows Explorer: Hey All,we have multiple Windows 11 clients connected via an on-premise Microsoft Active Directory system.We have a group policy object for mapping 3 network drives that is working successfully. We have used this same object without changes for several years.The problem is...
  3. Mapped Drives Not Visible in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapped Drives Not Visible in Windows Explorer: Hey All,we have multiple Windows 11 clients connected via an on-premise Microsoft Active Directory system.We have a group policy object for mapping 3 network drives that is working successfully. We have used this same object without changes for several years.The problem is...
  4. file explorer letter before drive letter in search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer letter before drive letter in search: when i did a search in file manager it showed the file as "rc:******" why is there a letter before the drive and what does it mean f and r are the letters that are shown before the drive...
  5. Certain letters assigned to a disk drive are not visible in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Certain letters assigned to a disk drive are not visible in Windows Explorer: When I assign certain letters to a drive using disk manger, the drive is not visible to This PC. For example, the k: drive is not visible in This PC, but I can access it through the cli. Task manager also sees the drive.Then I reassign the k: drive to t: using disk manager,...
  6. Maintaining Drive Letters & Network Mappings in Windows Explorer

Maintaining Drive Letters & Network Mappings in Windows Explorer: I have a Surface Pro 7 & want to access the SDXC drive & map a network drive in Windows Explorer. I want the SDXC drive to have the letter E instead of the default, which is D, and I want the network drive to use the letter D. I know how to map a network drive, and I know how...
  7. Making a USB drive visible in Windows Explorer again.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Making a USB drive visible in Windows Explorer again.: I burned an ISO to a USB drive. How do I make the USB drive usable now? I tried formatting it with Partition Manager as a FAT 32. But Windows 10 still can't recognize it in Windows Explorer. I hear the noise when I insert the drive, but it doesn't come up in Explorer....
  8. Drive letter missing in Windows File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Drive letter missing in Windows File Explorer: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]On rare occasions, you may find that the Drive letter is missing from File Explorer following the installation of an Update . If you have experienced this issue, here’s a way to get past the problem. A drive letter represents [...] This post Drive letter...
  9. Win Explorer 'forgets' drive-letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win Explorer 'forgets' drive-letter: Windows Explorer will not show any (usb-flash/external HD-) drive with the letter H. The drive is recognized by Windows: it does show up in Disk Management. What I did, months ago, is delete (merge) a hard drive partition - drive letter assignment of this partition was H....
  10. Shared Drives no longer visible in Explorer

Shared Drives no longer visible in Explorer: Hi,I know that there have been similar posts with similar issues. I have read the more but they are not exactly the same and I have tried some of the solutions posted but they have not worked.I have a desktop computer and a surface pro. The problem is with the desktop...