Windows 10: Drive letter problem

Discus and support Drive letter problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a problem with a drive letter. it is assigned but not recognized by the Windows explorer. It happens only for one letter (M in my case). When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JohnCz, Jul 30, 2020.

1. JohnCz Win User

Drive letter problem

I have a problem with a drive letter. it is assigned but not recognized by the Windows explorer. It happens only for one letter (M in my case). When I assign a different letter to the same drive, the explorer has no problem with recognizing it. If I assign this letter to another drive, it becomes invisible. The letter M is however recognized by the Disk Management.
    Why would one particular letter be oddly hidden by the explorer?

Thanks.

:)

JohnCz, Jul 30, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jul 30, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Problem with letter drives confusing Sony Vegas

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open Disk Management (press [Win] +[R], type "diskmgmt.msc", and press [Enter]).
    • In the lower pane, right-click on the partition that you want to change drive letter, and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
    • A dialog should come up, showing the partition's current drive letter. Even if it is correct, click [Change].
    • From the dropdown, select any new letter, and then [OK] your way back to Disk Management. And check if it helps.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arun B J, Jul 30, 2020
  4. Drive letter problem

2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

Hi Bill

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Did you go through these steps to assign the drive letters you prefer?

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

Andre for Directly, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

Drive letter problem

1. Drive letter problem - Similar Threads - Drive letter problem

2. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  3. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  4. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: I want to change the drive letters ... How do you do that? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/c20d65a1-bc5b-48e3-8183-51a96d3c09fd
  6. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: How do you add or change the flash drive letters? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/2bd3eb65-decb-4598-ade6-c73118a79b0a
  7. Problem with drive letters installing windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with drive letters installing windows: So I have an ssd that had a previous windows install and I created a windows installation usb stick windows 1903 Upon installation I deleted all partitions until I was left with unallocated and chose install. I got an error that windows couldnt proceed, so I googled the...
  8. portable drive letter changed - problems with iPhone

portable drive letter changed - problems with iPhone: Without notice, one of my portable disk drives I use for back up had its assigned letter changed. And, that letter disappeared. I changed it to another letter and the backup program (SyncBack) works fine. But why would a drive letter get changed? And why would letters in...
  9. Drive Letter

Drive Letter: I have automatic updates for windows 10. I have a separate drive normally connected to one of my windows devices. For many years this drive now identifies 100's of folders and many more files. When first installed it was allocated letter 'F' which since my latest update has...
  10. Drive Letters

Drive Letters: When I plug a USB stick in any USB port the laptop allocates the next available letter to this drive - "E" - this applies to any USB stick I normally use. EXCEPT for one particular USB stcik which always shows up as "G" even though "E" and "F" are available. What's...