Windows 10: Drive letters A: & B:

Discus and support Drive letters A: & B: in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is there any caveat in assigning drive letter "A:" or "B:" to a DVD drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MichaelDoncaster, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Drive letters A: & B:

Is there any caveat in assigning drive letter "A:" or "B:" to a DVD drive?

:)

MichaelDoncaster, Mar 17, 2021

2. Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    I would like to inform you that the issue might have occurred due to some changes made to your computer.

I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows + X keys and click on Disk Management.
    • Right click on the external drive and click on Change Drive letter and paths.
    • Click on Change the button.
    • Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.
    • Click Ok to save changes.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Mar 17, 2021
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Mar 17, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Drive letters A: & B:

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

Drive letters A: & B:

1. Drive letters A: & B: - Similar Threads - Drive letters

2. USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...: Recently I realised I can no longer use USB storage devices on my Windows 11 pc.On investigating, I realised that the USB storage devices are appearing in "Disk Management", but they don't have a drive letter assigned.When I try to assign one using "Change Drive Letter and...
  3. USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...: Recently I realised I can no longer use USB storage devices on my Windows 11 pc.On investigating, I realised that the USB storage devices are appearing in "Disk Management", but they don't have a drive letter assigned.When I try to assign one using "Change Drive Letter and...
  4. BSOD after removing drive letter of my second windows install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after removing drive letter of my second windows install.: Hi, I have 2 SSDs. one with a windows 11 22h2 and manjaro linux installed and the second drive has windows 11 23h2. i wanted to make it so that these two don't communicate with each other, so I followed this post,...
  5. BSOD after removing drive letter of my second windows install.

BSOD after removing drive letter of my second windows install.: Hi, I have 2 SSDs. one with a windows 11 22h2 and manjaro linux installed and the second drive has windows 11 23h2. i wanted to make it so that these two don't communicate with each other, so I followed this post,...
  6. Drive letter assignments in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letter assignments in Windows 11: Is there any way to freeze drive letter assignments for network mapped drives? I just setup a W11 machine and everytime I reboot, my card readers take over the F and G spots knocking me off the network. Is the only option to make the network drives higher/lower in the...
  7. Drive letter assignments in Windows 11

Drive letter assignments in Windows 11: Is there any way to freeze drive letter assignments for network mapped drives? I just setup a W11 machine and everytime I reboot, my card readers take over the F and G spots knocking me off the network. Is the only option to make the network drives higher/lower in the...
  8. SATA RAID Drives lost drive letters after BIOS update for X670 AORUS Elite AX flash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA RAID Drives lost drive letters after BIOS update for X670 AORUS Elite AX flash: Hello, I updated my BIOS using the Gigabyte Control Center Tool in Windows 11. My SATA RAID 0 configuration was drives E and F, 2 2TB SATA SSDs, now Windows seems them in Computer Management but does not have the previous drive letters assigned to them.Processor AMD Ryzen 7...
  9. SATA RAID Drives lost drive letters after BIOS update for X670 AORUS Elite AX flash

SATA RAID Drives lost drive letters after BIOS update for X670 AORUS Elite AX flash: Hello, I updated my BIOS using the Gigabyte Control Center Tool in Windows 11. My SATA RAID 0 configuration was drives E and F, 2 2TB SATA SSDs, now Windows seems them in Computer Management but does not have the previous drive letters assigned to them.Processor AMD Ryzen 7...
  10. Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blue question mark on new SSD drive and can not find "Assign Drive Letter" option: This nooby decided to swap one secondary SSD drive with a new one in my laptop. But i got a blue questionmark. I started doing some Googling and released it was something to do with windows not able to to assgin a drive letter to the drive.I have check the connection which...