Windows 10: Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10

Discus and support Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, After I upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 1909, my C drive became F, and the hidden recovery partition became the new C. As a result the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IavorMilev, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10

Hello,

After I upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 1909, my C drive became F, and the hidden recovery partition became the new C. As a result the PC cannot boot goes to BSOD with stop code 7b, so I was forced to restore the system image that I created before the upgrade.

I have three disk in this PC:

1. 240GB SSD with two partitions - 100MB recovery no drive letter and the rest is the OS partition C:

2. 320GB HDD with previous Windows XP installation, which is inactive and not used but is connected and accessible D:

3. 500GB HDD - empty E:

Could someone direct me how to resolve the problem?

:)

IavorMilev, Jan 22, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 22, 2020
  3. Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Jan 22, 2020
  4. Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10

Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    I would like to inform you that the issue might have occurred due to some changes made to your computer.

I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows + X keys and click on Disk Management.
    • Right click on the external drive and click on Change Drive letter and paths.
    • Click on Change the button.
    • Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.
    • Click Ok to save changes.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jan 22, 2020
Thema:

Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10

1. Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Drive letters mismatch

2. Mismatched drive labels in windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mismatched drive labels in windows.: hi,I have two drives:Samsung 980 PRO 2TB - Where Windows 11 is installedSamsung 980 PRO 1TB - There is nothing on this drive, not even partition table.Everywhere in Windows 11 those disks are mislabeled.Ex. Task manager shows label 'NVMe Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB' but all...
  3. Mismatched drive labels in windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mismatched drive labels in windows.: hi,I have two drives:Samsung 980 PRO 2TB - Where Windows 11 is installedSamsung 980 PRO 1TB - There is nothing on this drive, not even partition table.Everywhere in Windows 11 those disks are mislabeled.Ex. Task manager shows label 'NVMe Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB' but all...
  4. Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter: Windows just refuses to assign a drive letter to my external Nvme m2 pcie drive . It can see the drive but incorrectly reports the size as 2TB when it is actually 1Tb then when opening the menus everything is greyed out. I opened the drive in a number of partition programs...
  5. After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared: Upgraded Windows 10 from 1809 to 1903. After upgrade, my Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB drive (S:) could not be found by File Manager. Disk Manager says "Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized" so can't even assign a drive letter to it. Not a new drive, been using this SSD since 2015 and...
  6. After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared: Upgraded Windows 10 from 1809 to 1903. After upgrade, my Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB drive (S:) could not be found by File Manager. Disk Manager says "Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized" so can't even assign a drive letter to it. Not a new drive, been using this SSD since 2015 and...
  7. Windows 10 - drive letters not available

Windows 10 - drive letters not available: Hi, I have the following odd situation... Introduction: I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on one of my PC's. I used the iso of v1709 (Windows 10 Fall 2017) because that was the latest iso I had available on CD. In the mean time the PC upgraded to v1803 (Windows 10...
  8. Unable to assign drive letters after Win10 Upgrade

Unable to assign drive letters after Win10 Upgrade: Hey everyone, This seems like a cool place with a lot of people that might be able to help me out. I tried the Windows 10 upgrade when it first came out and immediately went back to 8.1 when I couldn't get a single one of my internal SATA hard drives to mount.. I have...
  9. Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10: How to: Remove Drive Letter in Windows 10 How to Remove a Drive Letter in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 will automatically assign an available drive letter to any connected internal and external storage devices. Windows progresses through the alphabet from A to Z...
  10. Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10: How to: Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10 How to Show Drive Letters Before or After Drive Name in Windows 10 [img] Information A drive letter is a single alphabetic character A through Z that has been assigned to a physical drive or drive partition...