Windows 10: Drive Letters Moved

Discus and support Drive Letters Moved in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I didn't know where else to post this. All of a sudden I lost some usb 2.0 & all 3.0 ports and my C: drive is now F:. I tried to remove my usb hubs so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ken1943, Jun 30, 2016.

1. ken1943 Win User

Drive Letters Moved

I didn't know where else to post this. All of a sudden I lost some usb 2.0 & all 3.0 ports and my C: drive is now F:.
    I tried to remove my usb hubs so windows could re-detect them. No go. I deleted the partition on my ssd to reinstall and
    I still have a drive partition C:. I think one of my usb ports is using C: but have no way to prove it.
    So basicly I am asking where the usb drive letters are stored if not in the Windows partition ? The "bios" is UEFI if that matters and a Asus z-87 deluxe mobo. Would a bios reset be an option ? This machine has been running ok until now.

As you can tell I am confused and have built machines for my use before.

:)

ken1943, Jun 30, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

Accidentally saved my documents folder to the Hard drive (DDrive Letters Moved :) without a location

Or you can click and hold on the folder and drag it to the drive letter.

This should move the folder from User to the drive.

lacrumb, Jun 30, 2016
  3. max green Win User
    Windows 10 drive letter

You can manually rename each drive, click file manager, locate the drive, right-click and rename.

You can manually change the drive letters, right-click start, Disk Management.

Right-click each other drive (not c: drive) and Click change drive letters and path.

You might need to do it twice, once to move D: to another letter to free up D:, then allocate D: and so on.

max green, Jun 30, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Drive Letters Moved

One place to start is in Disk Management. On Win10 I right-click This PC in File Manager then click Manage.

Berton, Jun 30, 2016
  5. ken1943 Win User
    I deleted the partition to reinstall. Trying to do a clean install, Win 10 wants a gpt disk instead of mbr. It is a
    120gig ssd !

ken1943, Jun 30, 2016
  6. Whatphoeb Win User
    Conversion is possible from MBR to GPT, using a command line utility called gptgen or EaseUS Partition Master.

Whatphoeb, Jun 30, 2016
  7. ken1943 Win User
    I got it up and running. Got the iso on a usb stick and the damn thing installed without a burp. Restored an image.

This crap was really typical Windows stuff is all I can say.

ken1943, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Drive Letters Moved

1. Drive Letters Moved - Similar Threads - Drive Letters Moved

2. Dropping of Drive letter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dropping of Drive letter: I keep having a problem that my second drive labeled "Z" keeps disappearing and I have to go into Disk Management to relabel it and then I can work with it. Any ideas as to why this is happening and what I can do will be appreciated....
  3. Phantom Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Phantom Drive Letters: Ive read all the forum posts and tried using all the various diskpart methods but nothing works. I now have 6 phantom hard drives visible in File Explorer and I am out of drive letters to assign to new drives. They show up in File Explorer as Local Disks, assigned Drive...
  4. Losing the drive letter on drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Losing the drive letter on drive: I have a WD Elements 2TB drive and my computer will not hold the designated drive letter, I can give it the drive letter E but each time I close down and restart I have to give it the drive letter again. Any help would be appreciated Harry...
  5. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: I want to change the drive letters ... How do you do that? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/c20d65a1-bc5b-48e3-8183-51a96d3c09fd
  6. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: How do you add or change the flash drive letters? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/2bd3eb65-decb-4598-ade6-c73118a79b0a
  7. drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters

drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters: Hi, I have a portable hard drive that when I plug in it is always allocated a drive letter of "M". I have programmed SYNC Toy to back up my PC to the M Drive. However now it is been allocated a drive letter of P. When I go to "This PC", I can see the drive letter M is showing...
  8. drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters: Hi, I have a portable hard drive that when I plug in it is always allocated a drive letter of "M". I have programmed SYNC Toy to back up my PC to the M Drive. However now it is been allocated a drive letter of P. When I go to "This PC", I can see the drive letter M is showing...
  9. Drive Letter

Drive Letter: I have automatic updates for windows 10. I have a separate drive normally connected to one of my windows devices. For many years this drive now identifies 100's of folders and many more files. When first installed it was allocated letter 'F' which since my latest update has...
  10. Drive Letters

Drive Letters: When I plug a USB stick in any USB port the laptop allocates the next available letter to this drive - "E" - this applies to any USB stick I normally use. EXCEPT for one particular USB stcik which always shows up as "G" even though "E" and "F" are available. What's...