Windows 10: Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label

Discus and support Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an external USB drive with the volume label "HDD-2." But when I connect it, Explorer shows the name as "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive." [img] If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by perkinw, May 25, 2019.

1. perkinw Win User

Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label

I have an external USB drive with the volume label "HDD-2." But when I connect it, Explorer shows the name as "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive."

Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label [​IMG]

If I attempt to rename it in Explorer (right click -> Rename), the name reverts to "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive" as soon as I hit enter.

What's going on?

:)

perkinw, May 25, 2019

2. Can't assign volume names in File Explorer

PARTHA SARATHI DEY, May 25, 2019
  3. Can't assign volume names in File Explorer

This reply by Karthicka_R was NOT helpful. It didn't cause the label to show up in File Explorer.

It is just one more way of assigning volume labels, and along with the other ways I've illustrated above, it doesn't address the root problem that volume labels don't appear in File Explorer for this external drive.

Besides, the fix suggested by Karthicka_R involves using the Diskpart command, and the only way I can see to use it to assign a name to a volume is to format the volume. Then I lose all the data on the volume. Thus, this seems to me to be a cavalier response
    to my problem.

prestonpdx, May 25, 2019
  4. Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label

Can't assign volume names in File Explorer

Thanks for your ongoing interest in fixing this, Robert. I tried method 2 in the link you supplied. This Notepad method seemed to be the safest of the three methods.

The Administrator level gives a little more information. Rather than just the drive letter (MDrive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label :) listed in File Explorer, it says that it is a USB drive (USB Drive (MDrive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label :)). But it still doesn't list the volume label. For an external hard drive, the listing
    is the same at administrator level as in File Explorer: Local Disk L: (but no volume label).

prestonpdx, May 25, 2019
Thema:

Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label

1. Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label - Similar Threads - Drive name shown

2. [HELP] Win10 Explorer doesn't show Drive Names/Custom Labels but they are there

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] Win10 Explorer doesn't show Drive Names/Custom Labels but they are there: [ATTACH] Hey Reddit, i just have this weird bug where windows is hiding the drive names and just shows "local disk" to every volume. But actually they have names and diskpart is showing them. BTW also TotalCommander shows them) I read and tried a lot of things already. 1....
  3. The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: I am getting this error while installing a driver for a microcontroller programmer. I have tried many methods like changing drive, renaming the setup or folder but nothing works for me. I tried installing the same driver on another computer having Win10 , there it works fine....
  4. The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: [ATTACH]I am getting this error while installing a driver for a microcontroller programmer. I have tried many methods like changing the drive, renaming the setup or folder but nothing works for me. I tried installing the same driver on another computer having Win10, there it...
  5. One volume shown in multiple hard drives.

One volume shown in multiple hard drives.: I have one drive which is showing itself in multiple hard drives and one volume is split into different parts. The F: partition is shown in multiple hard drives and all are shown in multiple parts in same drive also.[ATTACH]...
  6. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: Whenever I boot my computer a pop up appears saying 'The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect'. This is the error shown: [ATTACH]...
  7. Drives shown twice in Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drives shown twice in Explorer: [ATTACH] Please see the above picture. All the Drives are shown twice? How can I solve this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drives-shown-twice-in-explorer/c04f2593-d327-438b-afc4-7606fbdf7dd0
  8. Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label: I have an external USB drive with the volume label "HDD-2." But when I connect it, Explorer shows the name as "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive." [img] If I attempt to rename it in Explorer (right click -> Rename), the name reverts to "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive" as soon as I hit...
  9. Can I safely change OS volume's label name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I safely change OS volume's label name?: Hi! I'm not sure about if I change OS volume partition label name, there will or won't occur issues with windows system files. But I know the risk when changing OS drive letter(Default C:) can have issue with software apps that was selected directory when installation....
  10. Change Drive Label Name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Drive Label Name in Windows 10: How to: Change Drive Label Name in Windows 10 How to Rename Drive Label in Windows 10 A drive name or drive label is a unique name of up to 32 (NTFS) or 11 (FAT) characters assigned to a drive, disc, or other media connected to the computer. Every drive and storage...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change volume label on usb drive with windows