Windows 10: Drive names missing from file explorer and other errors

Discus and support Drive names missing from file explorer and other errors in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have multiple errors with my computer right now, and nothing that I have tried has helped me. First of all, all of the names of my drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ElliotM-D, Feb 22, 2021.

1. ElliotM-D Win User

Drive names missing from file explorer and other errors

Hello, I have multiple errors with my computer right now, and nothing that I have tried has helped me.

First of all, all of the names of my drives have suddenly disappeared from the file explorer. This happened recently and I have tried to figure out what is wrong, but to no avail. I checked on the disk management tool, and they are listed there perfectly. Also, I can enter the folders no problem, but for some reason just the names are missing. I have also attempted to rename them, and I can, but no matter what I do, they still don't show up. I don't know if this is part of it, but also, when I want to run something as admin, all it would say is "Run as" without the administrator part, works fine though

Shortly after this I realised that both my speakers and microphone stopped working, I checked and for some reason they suddenly aren't recognised as being plugged in by the computer Works perfectly on my laptop, so it's not the speaker or mic's fault

I tried using the sfc /scannow but it gets to 9% completion and then fails, giving me the error: "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation".

I have also tried the Dism checkhealth command, but I get the error 4448, telling me that the error occurred while trying to access the temporary folder.

Lastly. I tried the chkdsk /r command, but in the end it did nothing to help me.

Can anybody help?

:)

ElliotM-D, Feb 22, 2021

2. Windows Phone Drive Missing in File Explorer

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

Please share the details.

• Are you able to see the device in file explorer?

• What is the status when you click on the phone icon in file explorer?

• Do you receive any error code or error message on the screen?

I suggest you to run Hardware Troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search box at the
      Taskbar.

• Select Troubleshooting under Settings from the search results.

• Now click on View All option present on top left corner.

• Click on Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
      and follow the onscreen steps.

Keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Aswin_Anand, Feb 22, 2021
  3. mpeill Win User
    CD drive missing from File Explorer

Ok, tried that, but it didn't solve the problem. The command above was executed successfully, but still no CD drive on reboot, see drives list below from explorer:

Drive names missing from file explorer and other errors [​IMG]

mpeill, Feb 22, 2021
  4. mpeill Win User

CD drive missing from File Explorer

I'm trying to burn an audio CD yet the application doesn't recognise any CD drive. Checking further, the CD drive is not listed in File Explorer until a CD media is inserted that holds valid data. The drive disappears when the media is ejected.
    Under view options, the box is unticked for "hide empty drives".
    Under device manager the drive shows as present and working normally.
    I have tried switching autoplay on and off with no effect (suggested as a fix elsewhere).
    Any ideas?

mpeill, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

1. Drive names missing from file explorer and other errors - Similar Threads - Drive names missing

2. Windows 11 File Explorer-other drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer-other drives: In Windows 10 I was able to move files from the hard drive to a USB drive. No copy. Move.In Windows 11 I cannot do this anymore and it is KEY to my documents.Are you going to fix it?...
  3. Onedrive missing from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive missing from File Explorer: My problem is when I open up File Explorer onedrive is missing. How do I get to show up? I'm running the most current home version on my HP laptop. I have tried to find a solution, but nothing applies. Help would be appreciated. Please note that in the Category list there...
  4. Missing files from OneDrive in file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing files from OneDrive in file explorer: In my Personal one drive that's in file explorer I have a folder that's now empty. I think I can remember moving the folder out and then I put it back in but now it's empty so no idea what's going on. I do know that recycle bin is empty submitted by /u/TheRedDevils12...
  5. File Explorer - File Folder Names Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer - File Folder Names Missing: Hello, I have run across this over and over again after some recent update with windows 10 - not sure what the heck is going on - but it's becoming increasingly annoying that every 5 out of 10 times i restart my computer I run across this. The file names in the File...
  6. DVD drive missing from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive missing from File Explorer: After downloading an App, my D: DVD drive showed the app in the drive when I keyed on it. There was NO media in the drive. I pressed the eject button and the drive D: disappeared from the drive list. Device Manager shows the drive present and operating correctly with no error...
  7. Tabs missing from Drive properties in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tabs missing from Drive properties in File Explorer: in this pc my driver haven't the capacity details and in peroperties aren't the former tabs.i attach the picture. please help me fix this [ATTACH] ***Original title: deappearing driver peroperties***...
  8. CD drive missing from File Explorer

CD drive missing from File Explorer: I'm trying to burn an audio CD yet the application doesn't recognise any CD drive. Checking further, the CD drive is not listed in File Explorer until a CD media is inserted that holds valid data. The drive disappears when the media is ejected. Under view options, the box is...
  9. Drives missing from File Explorer's Navigation Pane

Drives missing from File Explorer's Navigation Pane: Hello, As shown below there are 2 drives missing from the Navigation Pane (vertical bar on the left of the File Explorer). How do I show them up there? Thanks in advance. [img] 31049
  10. File Explorer Missing Disk Space Readout From Drives With Long Names

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Missing Disk Space Readout From Drives With Long Names: So, basically.. I know exactly what is happening here, but I don't know how to fix it. This was something changed in an earlier update that I've been putting up with for a few months now. I tend to use longer names for my drives to keep things organized and looking nice....