Windows 10: drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI

Discus and support drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm basically having a similar issue where I'm trying install a clean W10 onto my previous SSD and Win10 does see the drives and starts loading but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nash04, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Nash04 Win User

drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI

I'm basically having a similar issue where I'm trying install a clean W10 onto my previous SSD and Win10 does see the drives and starts loading but stops whiting a few seconds stating that my drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI. Perform Diskpart and clean the drive then created a primary partition and it's listed as so but RAW and not NTFS or FAT32? What could be causing this issue. Now Win7 was previously installed onto that drive but should be gone since I perform a CLEAN on it, correct? Thanks

:)

Nash04, Jan 26, 2019

2. Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk

Hello,

I've read alot online about all of the scenarios for bitlocker and using Windows 10 with TPM 2.0. I've read things that said bitlocker encryption is not possible if it's a Win 10 box with TPM 2.0 bios in Legacy mode. It must be UEFI/EFI to work. Is this
    correct? Also in addition to this, I also read that you want UEFI + GPT formatted disk. Will encryption with bitlocker still work if you have say ... Win 10 UEFI + MBR formatted disk???? Or do have to have both UEFI + GPT disk format for bitlocker drive encryption??

I am hoping to clear this up.

Thank you!

Prezidentj33, Jan 26, 2019
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk

Below is a document from Microsoft on the requirements.

you don't need UEFI if you have a TCG compliant BIOS.

So legacy mode yes you do need UEFI.

Doesn't say anything about MBR vs GPT but I am running bitlocker and it is GPT and have used GPT for all my drives with Bitlocker.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/securi...

Hope this clarify things.

SarahKong, Jan 26, 2019
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Windows won't install on GPT formatted drive.

I had an HP laptop that had what I called hybrid UEFI. It had limited support for UEFI booting in that it would only boot the HP support tools as UEFI. The hard drive had to remain MBR partitioned, though, and the OS had to boot in legacy BIOS mode. I do not know if that applies to your ASUS laptop or not.

What are you attempting to install Windows 10 from? In order to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode onto a GPT partitioned drive, the Windows 10 installation media must be booting in UEFI mode as well. This is how to prepare a USB flash drive for booting. Note to format the partition on the flash drive as FAT32 to make it compatible with both legacy BIOS and UEFI:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

For step 12 of the above procedure you will mount the downloaded Windows 10 ISO file and just copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

The flash drive created above will be bootable with both legacy BIOS and UEFI. To make the flash drive bootable ONLY in UEFI mode, skip step 10 of the procedure which marks the USB flash drive partition as active. You can toggle the active flag with diskpart (and third party partition apps). Active flag on - bootable by legacy BIOS or UEFI. No active flag - bootable by UEFI only.

1. Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. Type: diskpart
    3. At the DISKPART prompt, type: list disk (This command will list all the disks that you have)
    4. In the next prompt, type: select disk # ( # means the number of the disk which contain the wrong active partition )
    5. At the DISKPART prompt, type: list partition
    6. Use the command: select partition # (# means the number of the partition that you want to mark as active or not active)
    7. Inactive the active partition with command: inactive
    7a. To mark the partition as active, use the command: active

So, I would create the USB flash drive using the procedure above listed in the link to the Microsoft Technet, but skip step 10 - do not mark the partition as active. Then try to boot the computer from the USB flash drive. If your BIOS is not UEFI, then you will either get an error - no boot device, or you will get just a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of a black screen. In that case, mark the USB flash drive partition as Active and format your SSD with MBR partitioning.

NavyLCDR, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

1. drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI - Similar Threads - drive needs formatted

2. Bios swap legacy to uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios swap legacy to uefi: Motherboard/cpu upgraded ready for win 11. How to reinstall win 10 digital license to use new uefi bios. No facility for doing this. only gives option for retail licence install of win 10.trying to get system ready for win 11 but this is an obstacle to installation...
  3. Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem: I have a DELL Optilex 990 so when I go to my bios I go to Boot Sequence then I switch to UEFI and the Boot Sequence is empty. When I boot up my Device it says no bootable devices found. How do I fix this. Please tell me the file path to Windows Boot Manager because I still...
  4. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  5. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  6. Secure Boot State Unsupported with UEFI Bios and GPT Disk Formation.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Secure Boot State Unsupported with UEFI Bios and GPT Disk Formation.: Hello everyone. I am currently running Windows 10 Insider Build and have gotten the option to update to Windows 11 Insider Build but my PC is coming up with the error "This PC Can't Run Windows 11. This PC Must support Secure Boot.". This is very confusing because my PC is...
  7. Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc: I can’t access a GPT drive handed to me with important files as my motherboard is legacy, is there a workaround? submitted by /u/Bombzopple [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/etn4er/need_help_accessing_gpt_drive_on_legacy_bios_pc/
  8. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  9. Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk: Hello, I've read alot online about all of the scenarios for bitlocker and using Windows 10 with TPM 2.0. I've read things that said bitlocker encryption is not possible if it's a Win 10 box with TPM 2.0 bios in Legacy mode. It must be UEFI/EFI to work. Is this correct?...
  10. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tpm 2.0 must be in gpt mode ?

2. flash stick must be formatted only for UEFI/GPT

3. USB needs to be GPT and not MBR