Windows 10: Drive/partition disappears

Discus and support Drive/partition disappears in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Sorry if this has been covered... I searched and found "similar" issues but couldnt find an exact solution so here I am. Setup - 2tb sata drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by deucegraphics, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Drive/partition disappears

Sorry if this has been covered... I searched and found "similar" issues but couldnt find an exact solution so here I am.

Setup -
    2tb sata drive partitioned into C:\ (750gb) (for os / basic applications) F:\ (remainder of space 1.25tb~ for main apps\file storage)

Upon initial boot both drives are visible and accessible --- after a random time 5-10 mins rarely longer the F:\ drive or partition if you will disapears and Windows shows a ? icon in its place for shortcuts.

I intially thought I had a drive failing but again this is the same physical drive and where the C:\ partition is working just fine I have ruled that out.

Disk Manager shows BOTH partitions when F appears in File explorer but only shows the 1 partition once F drops off... which is strange to me, why doesnt it show "unusable space" or "unpartioned"etc

I can reboot and the drive comes back but again only for a short time.

Any ideas?

:)

deucegraphics, Aug 9, 2017
  2. SarahKong Win User

Hard Drive partitions are disappeared

If it keeps disappearing it is probably a hardware failure.

But if you want to be sure you could do a repair upgrade which will clean up your windows image.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

SarahKong, Aug 9, 2017
  3. Hard Drive partitions are disappeared

Actually I have recovered the partition using the link you provided in your comment .. but I all of sudden I lost them again .. so I am wondering if it is an indicator that the hard drive is already failing and should be replaced ??

KhalidMekdad, Aug 9, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Drive/partition disappears

Hi, does the same happen in Safe Mode?

Also please download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.
    - that doesn't show your drive is ok.

dalchina, Aug 9, 2017
Thema:

Drive/partition disappears

1. Drive/partition disappears - Similar Threads - Drive partition disappears

2. Partition drive letter disappears!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition drive letter disappears!: I have a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. I created a partition and assigned it the drive letter Z. Sometimes after rebooting, or after waking up the drive letter simply disappears, the partition name is there but not the letter. The partition is fine, I have to reassign...
  3. Partition drive letter disappears!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition drive letter disappears!: I have a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. I created a partition and assigned it the drive letter Z. Sometimes after rebooting, or after waking up the drive letter simply disappears, the partition name is there but not the letter. The partition is fine, I have to reassign...
  4. Drive Letter for Partition Keeps Disappearing on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Letter for Partition Keeps Disappearing on Windows 11: I have a new laptop with Windows 11pro installed no upgrade but clean installation. I have added a partition and assigned it the drive letter Z and name Doc. Sometimes after startup Doc will display but Z will be gone. I have to go into disk management and assign Z to Doc in...
  5. Hard drive partition has disappeared.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive partition has disappeared.: Hi everyone,All my partitions are gone except for the C drive; they are not shown in the disk management as well. The crazy part is that they come back sometimes in the day and I can use the data and software that are installed in those drives! they keep coming back and going...
  6. Hard drive partition has disappeared.

Hard drive partition has disappeared.: Hi everyone,All my partitions are gone except for the C drive; they are not shown in the disk management as well. The crazy part is that they come back sometimes in the day and I can use the data and software that are installed in those drives! they keep coming back and going...
  7. Drive Letter for Partition Keeps Disappearing on Windows 11

Drive Letter for Partition Keeps Disappearing on Windows 11: I have a new laptop with Windows 11 installed no upgrade but clean installation. I have added a partition and assigned it the drive letter Z. Sometimes after rebooting, sometimes after waking up from hibernation mode, sometimes even whilst in use, the drive letter simply...
  8. F: Drive Partition Disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    F: Drive Partition Disappeared: Hey all,Yesterday, I was trying to allocate more RAM to a Minecraft Optifine installation. I don't think I did it correctly, as the program crashed whenever I tried to open it, and the allocated RAM returned to its default value of 2GB every time this occurred. This whole...
  9. F: Drive Partition Disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    F: Drive Partition Disappeared: Hey all,Yesterday, I was trying to allocate more RAM to a Minecraft Optifine installation. I don't think I did it correctly, as the program crashed whenever I tried to open it, and the allocated RAM returned to its default value of 2GB every time this occurred. This whole...
  10. Internal hard drive partition keeps disappearing (z-drive)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal hard drive partition keeps disappearing (z-drive): Hi, I have previously reported this issue & thought it was solved: - Int. HD partition Keeps Disappearing (Z Drive) others are OK However it continues! Anyone got any suggestions 179987