Windows 10: Drive randomly disconnected, severe lag follows

Discus and support Drive randomly disconnected, severe lag follows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have had this issue in the past which occurred when I had plugged in an external drive. The exact same one that gave me problems a while back.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PapiOphidian, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Drive randomly disconnected, severe lag follows

I have had this issue in the past which occurred when I had plugged in an external drive. The exact same one that gave me problems a while back. Anyways, I would be doing my regular things which includes playing games and multi-tasking then I receive a notification from Intel RST that a drive has been disconnected which I did not disconnect myself. Soon after, my PC begins to stutter very badly. I checked Explorer and the drive that has been causing issues was not in the list. After a restart, the stutter issue was mitigated temporarily and the drive appeared in the list again. A little while after and the same thing occurred. Throughout both instances, the same things have occurred. Just to see what may have been the culprit, I checked task manager and nothing was spiking/using abnormal amounts of resources. I checked Windows Defender to see when a scan was last performed and it was around the time a drive got disconnected but I have the drive excluded in defender so I don't believe Defender is causing issues but anything is possible.

Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

PapiOphidian, Apr 6, 2019
  2. 3870x2 Win User

Raid-0 Randomly Disconnects

Asus maximus iii with PII 945
    Raid-0 configuration with 2x seagates

The hard drives will randomly disconnect and reconnect. This is a huge problem when playing a game and it suddenly errors out because the hard drive will disconnect, then immediately reconnect.

I am going out to get some better SATA cables (these are questionable).

Any ideas why this would happen?

3870x2, Apr 6, 2019
  3. Toothless Win User
    OS drive disconnecting while in use

Okay so my SSD (listed in specs) keeps disconnecting itself while my desktop is in use. What happens is I'll be sitting there and suddenly progams stop working and crashing. Then Task Managerwwon't come up, followed by more programs and background services and then a BSOD.

When it reboots the SSD isn't listed until I disconnect the power and boot it. Works for a bit, then drops again.

Halp plz. I'm missing out on WCG crunching.

Toothless, Apr 6, 2019
  4. Aquinus Win User

Drive randomly disconnected, severe lag follows

Raid-0 Randomly Disconnects

Lack of TLER could do it. If the drive is trying to recover from an I/O error, if it takes too long the RAID controller will bump the drive out of the RAID. If you have the option to disable Patrol Read, do it. It always causes the non-TLER drives to randomly get kicked out of my RAID-5, then I have to wait for the entire damn thing to rebuild. If this has happened a lot, it is possible that data on your RAID-0 could be corrupted at this point. I would start doing some tests to make sure it's not the drives themselves.

How does SMART look?

Aquinus, Apr 6, 2019
Thema:

Drive randomly disconnected, severe lag follows

1. Drive randomly disconnected, severe lag follows - Similar Threads - Drive randomly disconnected

2. Severe lag in w11 system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Severe lag in w11 system: windows 11's fps dropped to slideshow-like fps. referring to task manager, desktop window manager gpu usage swiping 4 fingers up and down on touchpad to show task view continuously normal scenario no lag vs lagging: max <56% vs >80%the fps dropped until its like a slideshow....
  3. Severe lag in w11 system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Severe lag in w11 system: windows 11's fps dropped to slideshow-like fps. referring to task manager, desktop window manager gpu usage swiping 4 fingers up and down on touchpad to show task view continuously normal scenario no lag vs lagging: max <56% vs >80%the fps dropped until its like a slideshow....
  4. External displays randomly disconnect following cold boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External displays randomly disconnect following cold boot: We have this problem where external displays randomly disconnect. They usually disconnect for good and may not detect. In all cases these displays are off a dock, but I've seen it happen with different models of docks. Some docks use USB-C Thunderbolt 3, one is a recent...
  5. keep getting usb disconnect sound followed by spike in lag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    keep getting usb disconnect sound followed by spike in lag: so a few days ago i started to get a bug where i will get the USB disconnect and reconnect sound play randomly and hag a lag spike in game or in a program I have no idea what started it or what is doing it, i used USB log viewer and nothing comes up and being counted or...
  6. External hard drive disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive disconnecting randomly: I resently bought a seagate expansion plus 4t external hard drive with the intention to download games on it and play them from there. The problem is that if I leave it going to download a game it will after a while disconnect and then reconnect leaving me with a disc write...
  7. Windows 10 Severe and Random Process Lag - Troubleshooting

Windows 10 Severe and Random Process Lag - Troubleshooting: Hi guys, My windows10 machine is having random and severe lag spikes that make it near unusable at times. This happens 1-5 times daily, it will occur randomly with no set actions leading up to the problem. Description: - Every single windows process will slow down to a...
  8. Random Lag

Random Lag: 2 days ago, my computer just started running like 10x slower than before. Games run horrible, things open very slowly, bringing up taskbar is stuttery. this has never happened to me before and I have always been able to run games fast until now. Need help. Specs: GTX 1070...
  9. Microsoft All-in-one media keyboard lag and or disconnect at random

Microsoft All-in-one media keyboard lag and or disconnect at random: I have recently bought this wireless keyboard to go along with my new HTPC I've built. I've got all the drivers loaded and I have no outstanding issues with my wired keyboard and mouse. However this wireless keyboard/trackpad combo seems to start lagging or it will simply...
  10. Hard Drive randomly disconnecting

Hard Drive randomly disconnecting: Hey guys! It has been problem after problem with this PC and Windows 10. Now at the moment, I have had issues with my external hard drives randomly disconnecting. A few days back, both were randomly disconnecting then reconnecting while not in use. When replugging the USB,...