Windows 10: Drive Scanning Process Taking Many Many Many Hours

Discus and support Drive Scanning Process Taking Many Many Many Hours in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! Recently, the wireless keyboard that was connected to my computer (A Dell Studio XPS 435t with Windows 10 Home) via USB stopped working. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by joenichols017, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Drive Scanning Process Taking Many Many Many Hours

Hello! Recently, the wireless keyboard that was connected to my computer (A Dell Studio XPS 435t with Windows 10 Home) via USB stopped working. I tried replacing the batteries, but it still didn't work. To fix this, I connected an old wired keyboard to the computer, which worked fine. That same day, attempting to log into my user account caused the screen to freeze and return to the clock screen that shows before logging into Windows 10. After a restart, I was able to log into my account. Once logged in, two notifications popped up, advising me that, upon the next restart, the system would do a check for drive errors. I assumed that this was related to either the keyboard malfunction, the trouble with logging in, or both, and I went ahead and restarted my machine. This was at approximately 1:00am on Sunday, February 10th. As expected, the screen came up saying that it was scanning and repairing drive C:, and that it was 0% complete. I stayed seated near the computer for about an hour before going to bed with the process still at 0% completion. I checked the computer again about 11.5 hours after initiating the restart, and it had reached 1%. That evening, I left home to return to college, leaving the computer to its own devices and instructing everyone else in my home to not mess with it until it completes the process. I was informed minutes ago that, about 37.5 hours after the initial restart, the process is still at 1% completion.

My questions here are these: 1. Is the computer going to attempt to scan and repair any external drives I have hooked up as well (I have a 1TB external drive connected)? If so, is there any way of preventing this? 2. Is it more likely that the process is continuing as normal, and that it is just taking a very long time (the drive had approximately 450GB of stuff on it), or is it more likely that something has gone wrong to make it get stuck at 1% for over 24 hours? 3. Is it possible/safe to cancel this process while it is ongoing? 3. Is it safe to try to turn off the computer during this process and attempt to restart without scanning the drive (using safe mode, etc.)?

I would very much like to be able to use my computer again without waiting what could possibly be weeks or months for this process to finish, especially if it has just gotten stuck and isn't actually doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

:)

joenichols017, Feb 11, 2019

2. Quick scan takes hours to complete

It is not uncommon for some security scans to take many hours while others finish quickly.

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware
    scan depends on a variety of factors.

• The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both...see

How an Anti-virus Program Works
    • Options to scan for rootkits, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
    • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
    • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
    • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
    • A computer's hard drive size.
    • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
    • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
    • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
    • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
    • Other running processes and programs in the background.
    • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
    • Interference from malware.
    • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
    • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
    • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).

To speed up a scan,
    temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools
    you are using, close all open programs,
    do not use the computer during the scan and perform a Quick Scan instead of a Full one. You can also speed up a scan by using file exclusions...What
    Files Should You Exclude?

quietman7 - MVP, Feb 11, 2019
  3. JoeJY Win User
    Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

I have Defender Windows 10. I tried using custom scan to select and scan external drives. The screen listing the drives comes up, but the "OK" button remains grayed out so unable to scan any of the drives listed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Drive Scanning Process Taking Many Many Many Hours

I'm running a full scan and it's taking over 30 hours to complete.

It is not uncommon for some security scans to take many hours while others finish quickly.

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware
    scan depends on a variety of factors.

• The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both...see

How an Anti-virus Program Works
    • Options to scan for rootkits, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
    • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
    • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
    • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
    • A computer's hard drive size.
    • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
    • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
    • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
    • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
    • Other running processes and programs in the background.
    • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
    • Interference from malware.
    • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
    • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
    • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).

In most cases when performing routine security checks, only a Quick Scan is needed since it checks the areas of your computer most likely to contain malware...the most prevalent and common places where malware typically hides. A
    Full Scan is much more comprehensive and can take a long time since it checks the entire hard drive (all folders/files) which can number in the thousands. The length of time for performing this type of scan varies because it is so comprehensive
    and therefore can take several hours. As such, a Full scan is generally recommended only for heavily infected systems...showing obvious indications (signs
    of infection
    and
    malware symptoms
    ) that something is wrong.

quietman7 - MVP, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

Drive Scanning Process Taking Many Many Many Hours

1. Drive Scanning Process Taking Many Many Many Hours - Similar Threads - Drive Scanning Process

2. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    taking many hours to boot: hiwin10 is taking many hours to boot , it takes nearly an hour or so at each stage. yesterday it was slightl5 faster .its been for about 5 hours showing blank desktop, blue loading circle and a partly populated task bar 'clock/date and ms brower search windowyesterday it ran...
  3. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taking many hours to boot: hiwin10 is taking many hours to boot , it takes nearly an hour or so at each stage. yesterday it was slightl5 faster .its been for about 5 hours showing blank desktop, blue loading circle and a partly populated task bar 'clock/date and ms brower search windowyesterday it ran...
  4. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Many, many BSODs in the past 24 hours.

Many, many BSODs in the past 24 hours.: System specs:System Model: a520m ds3hEdition Windows 10 HomeVersion 21H2Installed on ‎10/‎03/‎2023OS build 19044.2846Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0Hi, I keep getting BSODs Windows Memory Diagnostic said there were hardware faults the first time I...
  6. Many, many BSODs in the past 24 hours.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Many, many BSODs in the past 24 hours.: System specs:System Model: a520m ds3hEdition Windows 10 HomeVersion 21H2Installed on ‎10/‎03/‎2023OS build 19044.2846Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0Hi, I keep getting BSODs Windows Memory Manager said there were hardware faults the first time I ran...
  7. Many, many BSODs in the past 24 hours.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Many, many BSODs in the past 24 hours.: System specs:System Model: a520m ds3hEdition Windows 10 HomeVersion 21H2Installed on ‎10/‎03/‎2023OS build 19044.2846Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0Hi, I keep getting BSODs Windows Memory Manager said there were hardware faults the first time I ran...
  8. Many windows processes not working

Many windows processes not working: Hi,I started my computer as usual, but eventually noticed that i couldn't open the task manager. Neither a shortcut, or going through Ctrl+Alt+Del, or using Windows+r and typing taskmgr worked. After a few minutes, I'd get an error message saying windows wasn't able to find...
  9. Many many many blue screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Many many many blue screen: First, i'm srory for my bad english because I'm french ;) So that's happening more and more since thursday and it's usually when I play a Windows Store game. And it make that too on the other games... It close many apps too, when i'm playing, t's closing and i have to reload...
  10. Too many background processes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Too many background processes: So, I've had this laptop for almost a year, an hp omen, and recently it's been running slowly whenever I play games or even when I use a navigator. I've checked the task manager and it's come to my realization that every time I boot up my computer different processes start...