Windows 10: Drive Spaces Not Finding Moved Drives When New Drive Added

Discus and support Drive Spaces Not Finding Moved Drives When New Drive Added in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Storage Spaces pool with a single parity space created. I was adding a new drive. I'll call the drives OLD and NEW. I did he following steps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HD883, Apr 21, 2020.

1. HD883 Win User

Drive Spaces Not Finding Moved Drives When New Drive Added

I have a Storage Spaces pool with a single parity space created. I was adding a new drive. I'll call the drives OLD and NEW. I did he following steps over time:

1. plug the NEW drive into an external drive dock

2. add the NEW drive to the storage

3. verified that NEW and OLD drive were in the pool

3. shut down PC

3. move the NEW drive to the internal bay

4. move the OLD drive to the external drive dock

5. turn on PC

Result: NEW drive shows up in storage spaces, but OLD drive is marked as missing from the storage space. Disk Management shows the OLD drive as a volume that is part of a storage space even though storage spaces doesn't see it.

To troubleshoot, I did the following:

1. turn off PC

2. unplug power from NEW drive

3. turn on PC

Result: OLD drive shows up in the storage spaces, but NEW drive is missing as it is not powered on.

I can go back and forth connecting and disconnecting the power to the NEW drive and always receive the same result: the OLD drive in an external dock is recognized by drive spaces only when the NEW drive is not connected internally. If I put the NEW drive back in the external dock and the OLD drive back in the internal bay, both work correctly.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be going on and how to fix it?

:)

HD883, Apr 21, 2020
  2. Zaki_j Win User

C drive full, how to move some to D drive

Hi Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that your computer is running out of space and you would like to move the data from C drive to D Drive.

• When you say “How can I move some GB's from C to external D drive?“ do you want to free space on the c drive or do you want to extent the C partition?

If you want to free up space on C drive, I suggest to follow the below given suggestions.

Personal files such as videos, music, photos, and documents can take up a lot of space on your device. To see which files are using the most space:

1. Select File Explorer from the taskbar and find the files you want to move.
    2. Under This PC in the menu on the left, select a folder to see what files are saved in it. The
      Videos, Music, Pictures, and
      Downloads
      folders usually contain the largest files that you’ve saved to your device.
    3. To see the size of the files in a folder, select
      View
      > Details. Right-click in the open space and then select
      Sort by > Size to show the largest files at the top of the list.
    4. If there are files you no longer need on your device, you can either delete them or move them to an external storage device like a USB drive or an SD card.

Note: If you delete any files, remember to empty the Recycle Bin to completely remove them from your device and free up space.

To move photos, music, videos, or other files that you want to keep but don't use very often, consider saving them to an external storage device like a USB drive or an SD card. You'll still be able to use them when the drive is connected, but they won't take
    up space on your PC.

1. Connect an external storage device like a USB drive or SD card to your PC.
    2. Select File Explorer from the taskbar and go to the folder that contains the files you want to move.
    3. Select the files, select the Home tab, and then select
      Move to > Choose location.
    4. Select the external storage device you connected in the location list, and then select
      Move.

In Windows 10 you can also move the installed Windows Store apps to any other drive in order to free up space. You can also change the path of the default installation directory, for new apps.

If you would like to move the installed apps to another drive, try the below given suggestions.

Press Windows key + I to bring up the Settings menu and click Apps. You should be on the
    Apps & features page of the left-hand navigation.

Click on the app entry that you would like to move to a different drive to see
    Move and Uninstall
    options. Click Move button and then select a drive of your choice to move the app.

Note: When you click on a traditional desktop program or an app that came preinstalled with Windows 10, Windows 10 offers only Uninstall option and you can’t move desktop applications
    using this method.

For more information on how to free up space on your computer I suggest you refer to the suggestion from the given article

Free up drive space in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Apr 21, 2020
  3. Lost space of Pen Drive

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• Have you tried connecting to a different computer?
    I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

First back up all the data from your USB drive to another location.

I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

Let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to refresh the drive letter and then try to rescan the drives that are connect to the computer and check.

To refresh drive letter:

• Open Computer Management (Local).
    • In the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), click
      Storage, and then click Disk Management.
    • Click Action, and then click Refresh.
    • Once you have refreshed connect the new zip drive and to update hardware information, click Rescan Disks instead.
    Step 2: For unallocated space on USB drive

• Press the Windows key, and type Diskpart.

• Click the result to open the DiskPart command prompt window.

• In the command prompt window, type list disk and hit Enter.

• The removable USB drive or hard disk will be shown under
      Disk 1.

• Type in the following commands and hit Enter.
    select disk 1

Clean

create partition primary

• The first command selects your removable USB drive.

• The Clean command deletes all the current partitions present on the USB drive.

• The Create primary partition creates a fresh partition and allocates all the unallocated space on this fresh partition.

• Type Exit to close the command prompt window.

• Unplug your USB drive and plug it back again.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Apr 21, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Not enough space on Recovery (DDrive Spaces Not Finding Moved Drives When New Drive Added :) drive.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the following:

1. What is the make and model number of your Computer?

Please note that recovery "D" is a partition on the hard drive which contains the image of the Operating system. You can use it to restore the computer back to factory settings. You should not attempt to store files in it.
    If you have any data saved on the D drive, I would suggest you to move it to an external drive and to free up some space, you can follow the steps provided in the article:
    Free up drive space in Windows 10.

If you are using a HP computer, then you can refer to this article:
    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - What is the Recovery (DDrive Spaces Not Finding Moved Drives When New Drive Added :) Hard Drive?

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Apr 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Drive Spaces Not Finding Moved Drives When New Drive Added - Similar Threads - Drive Spaces Finding

2. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...: I have a Simple no resiliency storage space with 2 HDD 2 x 14TB. I want to add a 3rd drive to increase pool space, but I'm a little confused about how that will work.The storage space currently has 2 columns one for each physical disk and I know that cannot be changed without...
  3. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...: I have a Simple no resiliency storage space with 2 HDD 2 x 14TB. I want to add a 3rd drive to increase pool space, but I'm a little confused about how that will work.The storage space currently has 2 columns one for each physical disk and I know that cannot be changed without...
  4. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Move C drive to new drive

Move C drive to new drive: Morning guys.So I have installed a new m.2 SSD into my motherboard. I have a SSD as my main boot drive and a HDD as my Data drive. Is there a way to move my C drive to my m.2 SSD and changing it to C drive without having to reinstall windows 10?...
  6. Adding\Replacing Drives In Storage Spaces

Adding\Replacing Drives In Storage Spaces: Hello, We recently purchased a new server which we will be using to support several of our SQL databases. The server contains 4 NVMe drives that will be used for the database files. The server is running Windows Sever 2019. We would like to use Storage Spaces to “manage”...
  7. Using "Storage spaces", added new drive and it's like it vanished?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using "Storage spaces", added new drive and it's like it vanished?: Today I got a new 2TB hard drive. I'm using it with the intention of backing up my storage (video games) drive (D:). I install the drive into my computer. I boot up to add this new drive to my already existing storage pool. Click on "Add drives", choose the new drive that was...
  8. Moving C drive to a new drive

Moving C drive to a new drive: Hello My main C drive is starting to pack up. Is it possible to transfer my complete C drive to a new hard drive and keep my windows and all of my programs? Thank you for the help. I use windows 10 64bit....
  9. Move free space from D drive to C Drive

Move free space from D drive to C Drive: Hi, I am receiving messages saying my storage is full. Disk manager shows no free space on C drive, but 913GB free on D drive, how can I reallocate free space from D to C? Thanks...
  10. Storage Spaces issues adding drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces issues adding drive: I have a 4x 2TB drive storage pool setup with storage spaces under parity mostly used for movies/tv shows. I decided to buy 2 more 4TB drives and add them, but I only have space for 1 more at the moment (only 6 SATA connectors on my MB). After adding it (and appearing...