Windows 10: drive wiping and format

Discus and support drive wiping and format in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Western Digital 500 Mb hard drive that came off an old computer. How do I go about wiping all data on the drive and re-formatting it? The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by oldwalker1, Dec 28, 2019.

1. drive wiping and format

I have a Western Digital 500 Mb hard drive that came off an old computer. How do I go about wiping all data on the drive and re-formatting it? The computer I have is an E machines EL1358G-51W, and it only has one drive bay.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

oldwalker1, Dec 28, 2019
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 28, 2019
  3. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 28, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

drive wiping and format

Formatting USB stick/usb hdd issues

Drive has probably failed. Try this.

Run admin command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

select disk n (n is number of usb drive)

clean (wipes drive - do not select wrong drive!)

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

exit

If any step fails, drive has almost certainly failed.

cereberus, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

drive wiping and format

1. drive wiping and format - Similar Threads - drive wiping format

2. SSD won’t format, wipe, anything

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD won’t format, wipe, anything: Rust on steam was consistently crashing. i updated all drivers and problem still occurred. after opening steam it shows an invalid platform error. then randomly the D: file will just disappear. chkdsk came back completely clean before it disappeared. not it says disk is raw...
  3. SSD won’t format, wipe, anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD won’t format, wipe, anything: Rust on steam was consistently crashing. i updated all drivers and problem still occurred. after opening steam it shows an invalid platform error. then randomly the D: file will just disappear. chkdsk came back completely clean before it disappeared. not it says disk is raw...
  4. SSD won’t format, wipe, anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I format my PC without wiping my D drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I format my PC without wiping my D drive?: Hello,My PC has been running really slow recently and I want to format it, but I have a lot of data on my D drive that I don't want deleted and I'd like to know if using the Windows reset setting wipes all drives or just the C drive.Thanks....
  6. Can I format my PC without wiping my D drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I format my PC without wiping my D drive?: Hello,My PC has been running really slow recently and I want to format it, but I have a lot of data on my D drive that I don't want deleted and I'd like to know if using the Windows reset setting wipes all drives or just the C drive.Thanks....
  7. Can I format my PC without wiping my D drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Hard drive wipe

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive wipe: Hi,I need to wipe a external hard drive to reuse in another system. I thought about using ccleaner but I know it is unsafe. Just so you know I don't want to format it.Thanks...
  9. Wiping hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wiping hard drives: I am selling a pc it has 3 drives installed, i factory reset the pc and chose to delete all files, will this delete the files from all 3 drives or just the drive with the OS on?...
  10. Wiping Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Wiping Hard Drive: Hello! I just downloaded a bootable windows onto an usb stick and I from there booted up the computer from the USB stick and formatted all the disks inside the laptop. Then exitted the program. Now when I boot up the computer it just says "No operating System Installed" My...