Windows 10: drive wiping and format

Discus and support drive wiping and format in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Western Digital 500 Mb hard drive that came off an old computer. How do I go about wiping all data on the drive and re-formatting it? The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by oldwalker1, Dec 28, 2019.

1. drive wiping and format

I have a Western Digital 500 Mb hard drive that came off an old computer. How do I go about wiping all data on the drive and re-formatting it? The computer I have is an E machines EL1358G-51W, and it only has one drive bay.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

oldwalker1, Dec 28, 2019
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 28, 2019
  3. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 28, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

drive wiping and format

Formatting USB stick/usb hdd issues

Drive has probably failed. Try this.

Run admin command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

select disk n (n is number of usb drive)

clean (wipes drive - do not select wrong drive!)

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

exit

If any step fails, drive has almost certainly failed.

cereberus, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

drive wiping and format

1. drive wiping and format - Similar Threads - drive wiping format

2. C: Drive Formatting.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C: Drive Formatting.: I have had Windows 10 for a while but now ive installed on another Drive called D drive on to my new SSD D: drive and it's been running fine on D drive for months and I want to format all of the c drive to use for new storage item whatever they me. Will that be ok to go...
  3. Wiping Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wiping Hard Drive: Hello! I just downloaded a bootable windows onto an usb stick and I from there booted up the computer from the USB stick and formatted all the disks inside the laptop. Then exitted the program. Now when I boot up the computer it just says "No operating System Installed" My...
  4. Wiping Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Wiping Hard Drive: Hello! I just downloaded a bootable windows onto an usb stick and I from there booted up the computer from the USB stick and formatted all the disks inside the laptop. Then exitted the program. Now when I boot up the computer it just says "No operating System Installed" My...
  5. format drive

format drive: hi, I've upgraded from win7 premium to win10. I need to do back up recovery drive. Must I format 16gb usb drive to NTSF format instead of fat32? and how much space is required for allocation? win 10 has already denied processing recovery drive backup. so concerned...
  6. wipe hard drive

wipe hard drive: I wipe a hard drive with DOD wipe I am trying to reimage drive with window 10 I am getting error do you know if the wipe is affecting the imaging process? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/wipe-hard-drive/2bd86868-d974-4260-b360-637d0cb5e3d2
  7. Stellar Drive Wipe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stellar Drive Wipe: Simply Formating or deleting the data from hard drive doesn’t delete the data permanently. There are situations where you need to completely wipe the data from your hard drive to keep them private. These situations include: "When you resell your computer" "When you donate...
  8. Had to Wipe the drive clean

in Windows 10 Support
    Had to Wipe the drive clean: I had an interesting experience. We had a power failure so Windows 10 did not shut down properly. No big deal, right? It's happened to us all. Just restart as always, and it will correct itself. Nope. It would not restart, it kept saying errors. I had to wipe out...
  9. Boot drive wiping problem.

Boot drive wiping problem.: Hey guys. Today I used the Windows 10 tool thing to use my 128GB USB stick as a boot drive for a clean install. All done with that now. Now I've formatted the USB stick and it says the USB stick has 31.9GB of space, and is called ESD-USB. How do I fix this? Thanks....
  10. Fresh Win10 install onto a wiped wiped hard drive

Fresh Win10 install onto a wiped wiped hard drive: My friend has an AIO desktop computer that came with Win 8 and updated to 8.1 and finally Windows 10. She had many problems with Windows 10 and her daughter wiped the hard drive clean and the computer has been sitting there doing nothing since Dec 2016 I suspect she can...