Windows 10: Driver Issues lead to a slew of other issues

Discus and support Driver Issues lead to a slew of other issues in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I am in more need of assistance. My computer audio wasn't working and it told me I needed to update my drivers. No problemo. I go to restart my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/albelaa, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Driver Issues lead to a slew of other issues

So I am in more need of assistance.

My computer audio wasn't working and it told me I needed to update my drivers. No problemo.

I go to restart my computer and I cannot open the start menu, I figure it just a little slow so I ctrl+alt+delete log out and restart.

Then my laptop turns back on, audio is still not working, start menu still not working, and I can't use the search bar either. I am trying to see if I can look for other driver updates but I don't know how without accessing the search bar.

Any ideas??

Edit: I have tried to restart windows explorer through the task manager and it did nothing

submitted by /u/albelaa
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/albelaa, Jan 25, 2021
  2. ilyakol Win User

KB3173428 - Slew of issues after update

I will preface this with the fact that I worked in Desktop Support for 10 years and now do server side support for a living. However, I haven't really been 'in the loop' with the various tricks to circumvent a lot of MS' stupid ways of doing things in Windows 8+.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro on a beast of a machine.

The other day, I noticed the following issues:

• Creating a new folder ANYWHERE on the system (doesn't matter what drive) results in me only being able to call it "New Folder". If I want to rename it, the only way I can do so is to use CMD. I am unable to change the name any other way (including doing it through the properties window). Renaming the folder the standard click way or the properties window way results in the following:

Driver Issues lead to a slew of other issues [​IMG]

• I am unable to set default programs (like browser). I hit the + sign next to Web Browser, pick Chrome and then nothing happens.
    • I have blank entries under "This PC" when I open explorer:

• The only Windows 10 update I have that was installed the last few days was KB3173428 and KB3172985. I managed to remove KB3172985 but am unable to remove KB3173428 as it's a 'required update' (tried to remove it via the following CMD command: wusa /uninstall /kb:3173428). Any way to remove this? The issue is still present with only that one. I did get like 20 Office 2013 updates but I'm assuming those can be ignored for the sake of fixing these issues.
    • Before I started digging into which updates were the culprits, I did a system restore to the 12th which fixed all of my issues...but of course the updates got installed again. Now, when I go to system restore, I only have the option to undo the restore or to go back to before the restore (which I'm assuming is when the updates were installed so I'd still have the issue). Anyway to get that old restore point back?

ilyakol, Jan 25, 2021
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Jerry8A, Jan 25, 2021
  4. Driver Issues lead to a slew of other issues

Display driver issues

Hi Bob,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I highly appreciate your efforts and time.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • What and all steps have you tried so far?
    It could be due to incorrect settings or missing/corrupt drivers or missing updates.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Restart the computer a few times and check for Windows Updates.

In the Search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

Then try to update the display drivers.

How to update drivers: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/how-to-update-drivers

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 25, 2021
Thema:

Driver Issues lead to a slew of other issues

1. Driver Issues lead to a slew of other issues - Similar Threads - Driver Issues lead

2. Wifi driver missing and other issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi driver missing and other issues: My wifi driver isn’t appearing in my device manager and isn’t in hidden devices, my Bluetooth driver says nothing is connected when I checked and everything seems good, and my computer won’t read usb devices except my mouse dongleI am so confused and I need help! Thanks...
  3. Wifi driver missing and other issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi driver missing and other issues: My wifi driver isn’t appearing in my device manager and isn’t in hidden devices, my Bluetooth driver says nothing is connected when I checked and everything seems good, and my computer won’t read usb devices except my mouse dongleI am so confused and I need help! Thanks...
  4. windows update lead to ram issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update lead to ram issues.: I have a ryzen 3600 with 16gb ram that can go up to 3600 but i run it at 3200. yesterday i updated an optional windows update. ever since that i have been getting blue screens and freezes. usually when a game is running ... i have game boost disable for my memory. the problem...
  5. windows update lead to ram issues.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows update lead to ram issues.: I have a ryzen 3600 with 16gb ram that can go up to 3600 but i run it at 3200. yesterday i updated an optional windows update. ever since that i have been getting blue screens and freezes. usually when a game is running ... i have game boost disable for my memory. the problem...
  6. windows update lead to ram issues.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. updates lead to resolving host issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    updates lead to resolving host issue: My wife's PC, Ver 18363 Update 1909, is usually used to browse via Chrome, but not always. On the last 3 occasions we've done update (automatic) the result has been vastly slow operation with "resolving host" message. I've gone through all the recommended processes (that is...
  8. One Drive Issue Leading to Lost Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive Issue Leading to Lost Files: Hello. I'm a writer, and I thought my files were stored locally on my computer. I had the folder synced with One drive as an additional backup. I recently ran out of space on OneDrive and decided to disable the sync because the red icons were an eyesore. I disabled...
  9. driver issues leading to BSOD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    driver issues leading to BSOD: Hello. For the past couple of weeks I've been dealing with on and off BSODs on my laptop. Initially, I thought I had fixed it by updating the drivers on my computer, but that still did not fix the issue. Today, I reset my computer, but I'm still experiencing the BSOD...
  10. KB3173428 - Slew of issues after update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB3173428 - Slew of issues after update: I will preface this with the fact that I worked in Desktop Support for 10 years and now do server side support for a living. However, I haven't really been 'in the loop' with the various tricks to circumvent a lot of MS' stupid ways of doing things in Windows 8+. I'm...