Windows 10: Driver support for old DVD ROM drive on Dell XPS 410 now running Win10

Discus and support Driver support for old DVD ROM drive on Dell XPS 410 now running Win10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got an old Dell that has been upgraded many times over through the years both hardware and software and it still runs great. Today, i upgraded the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by scott784, May 12, 2019.

1. scott784 Win User

Driver support for old DVD ROM drive on Dell XPS 410 now running Win10

I've got an old Dell that has been upgraded many times over through the years both hardware and software and it still runs great. Today, i upgraded the PC from WIn 7 to Win10. My device Manager is clean with the exception of my DVD ROM drive - which I rarely use anymore. But I would still prefer it to work.

It's a Philips DVD ROM 6316. I need a device driver for this DVD ROM drive that is compatible with Win10. It was working fine in Win7 just before I did a clean install today to Win10. Does anyone know my best resource for finding a compatible driver for this DVD ROM?

This piece of hardware is one of the original pieces on the computer that has never been swapped out. So it dates back to 2006. I've searched online, but unsure where to go; and I don't want to download junk or malware from a untrusted website.

Thanks for any help on this.

:)

scott784, May 12, 2019
  2. RMS_123 Win User

DVD R/W drive only reads data and music CDs and not DVDs

I tried steps 1 through 5 listed in this article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-program

The DVD R/W drive is in a Dell XPS 8300 PC and this morning I ran Dell Support Assist.

The built in drive self test passed as well as the CD Rom test. Could not complete the DVD tests because it doesn't recognize that I inserted a DVD.

RMS_123, May 12, 2019
  3. cd dvd rom drive error 0x800706BE

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. I will do my best to fix the issue.

To assist you better I would like to know, what is the make and model of the computer?

Meanwhile, let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below methods.

Method 1.

I would suggest you to run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on Hardware and sound under Troubleshoot computer problems.

• Click on Hardware and devices under Devices.

• Click on Advanced on the Hardware and devices dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    If the issue still persist, try the below method.

Method 2.

I recommend you to un-install/re-install the DVD device driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager.

• Click on DVD/ CD-ROM drives to expand, right click on the
      device and click on Uninstall.

• Once you are done un-installing the driver restart the computer, it will automatically install the generic device driver.
    If the issue still persist, try updating DVD/ CD-ROM drives
    and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager.

• Click on DVD/ CD-ROM drives to expand, right click on the
      device and click on Update.
    If the above method did not help to fix the issue, try the below method.

Method 3.

If the issue still persist, I suggest you to go to the DVD/ CD-ROM drives manufacturer website and download the latest updated
    DVD/ CD-ROM drives driver and install the same. If the available driver is not for Windows 10 you try install the driver in compatibility mode.

• Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

• Select Compatibility tab.

• Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

• Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
    Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, May 12, 2019
  4. Driver support for old DVD ROM drive on Dell XPS 410 now running Win10

Windows DVD Player installed in Windows 10 but not recognizing DVD to play

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

The DVD Player app only supports the following:

a. DVDs from a file backup is not supported, the app currently only plays DVD movies on optical discs.

b. The App will only play DVD's not Blu-ray discs.

If you satisfy both the categories, I would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Update DVD/CD-ROM drives from Device Manager.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives.

• Double-click on the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Update.
    If this does not work you might have to Uninstall and then reinstall your drivers in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives.

• Double-click on the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Uninstall.

• Reinstall your audio driver from Manufacturer's Website in Compatibility mode.

• Restart your system
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, May 12, 2019
Thema:

Driver support for old DVD ROM drive on Dell XPS 410 now running Win10

1. Driver support for old DVD ROM drive on Dell XPS 410 now running Win10 - Similar Threads - Driver support old

2. CD-Rom / DVD Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD-Rom / DVD Driver: Hey! So the last time my cdrom / dvd driver was updated was 06/21/2006. I have upgraded from windows 7 on a lenovo AIO ThinkCentre so updating it through lenovo's site is worthless, since they don't update from 7 to 10. How do I update it? Device manager is basically...
  3. Can my dell xps 410 run windows 10 its all stock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can my dell xps 410 run windows 10 its all stock: Dell xps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-my-dell-xps-410-run-windows-10-its-all-stock/447d78c3-4a2c-4fe2-82ab-7c3479d65d20
  4. Can my dell xps 410 run windows 10 its all stock

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can my dell xps 410 run windows 10 its all stock: Dell xps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-my-dell-xps-410-run-windows-10-its-all-stock/447d78c3-4a2c-4fe2-82ab-7c3479d65d20
  5. DVD Rom drive

DVD Rom drive: I need an external DVD Rom drive to play some older games. I have looked at several lists and the consumer comments but none of them specifically say anything about gaming. Am I making this to difficult? I have seen them say things like "DVD Rom compatible". I bought...
  6. DVD rom drive

DVD rom drive: Why is it at times my dvd rom disappears? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rom-drive/5323de53-2ce5-4c57-90d5-c899544812a9
  7. Driver support for old DVD ROM drive on Dell XPS 410 now running Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Driver support for old DVD ROM drive on Dell XPS 410 now running Win10: I've got an old Dell that has been upgraded many times over through the years both hardware and software and it still runs great. Today, i upgraded the PC from WIn 7 to Win10. My device Manager is clean with the exception of my DVD ROM drive - which I rarely use anymore. But...
  8. DVD/CD ROM DRIVER

DVD/CD ROM DRIVER: How do I update my driver to read karaoke CDG's? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-rom-driver/0a739b2f-5f69-4c52-80a2-67b08130a7f0
  9. DVD-ROM not working on win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DVD-ROM not working on win10: Hello, I upgraded for free from Win7 to Win10 when it was offered (was it in 2015 ? I forgot). Since then I have a problem with my DVD-ROM player. The issue wasn't really important before now as I rarely needed to use the player, and I had another (and very inconvenient)...
  10. How to install Win10 on Dell XPS 410 without BSOD using BIOS 'Raid On'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install Win10 on Dell XPS 410 without BSOD using BIOS 'Raid On': I've have an 8 year old Dell XPS 410 that has had a number of upgrades, to include a new video card and solid state drive. It is currently running great with Win7 but I am probably going to take MS up on their offer for a free upgrade and go with Win10. I've already...