Windows 10: Driver update failure via Device Manager in Safe Mode -

Discus and support Driver update failure via Device Manager in Safe Mode - in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Confronting with a series of Windows 10 driver update issues recently. The most recent one is as follows: Managing to update the graphics drivers 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SYCC1, Aug 19, 2020.

1. SYCC1 Win User

Driver update failure via Device Manager in Safe Mode -

Confronting with a series of Windows 10 driver update issues recently. The most recent one is as follows:

Managing to update the graphics drivers 2 graphic interfaces: an AMD Radeon R5 M335 and an Intel HD Graphics 520 - integrated of my PC via Device Manager with the following steps: all operations were donein safe mode with Internet access enabled

1. Uninstalled previous drivers via Control Panel - Programs and Features. After this step, graphic interfaces were shown as "unknown devices" with yellow exclamation marks in hardware list.
    2. Right-click the "unknown device" referring to the AMD Radeon interface and choose "update driver", and go to "search automatically for updated driver software", after a short process of install drivers Windows goes to the following result:
    Driver update failure via Device Manager in Safe Mode - 6f892d9c-eb79-4aab-bf73-2f7e89f969a5?upload=true.png

3. Same result via "browse my computer for driver software" and then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". The "AMD Radeon R5 M335" would appear in the display adaptor driver list, but with a warning sign "This driver is not digitally signed." Disabling driver signature verification by enabling test-mode command "bcdedit /set testsigning on" makes no difference.

4. Checked the setupapi.dev file under c:\windows\inf, looked for all the files with error messages "cannot find the file" as they are expected to be copied over to c:\windows\inf, but none of the files could be found anywhere on local hard drive.

Ran full-scan for virus windows defender, scan for system files "SFC /scannow" command, scan for hard disk chkdsk command and memory diagnostics with windows tool and memtest86, no issue found.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

SYCC1

:)

SYCC1, Aug 19, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

explorer.exe will not run other than in safe mode

MS suggests:
    Once your PC is in Safe Mode, reinstall your display adapter driver.

• Type device manager into the search box on the taskbar, and then select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display adapter.
    • Right-click the display adapter and select Uninstall > OK.
    • Restart your PC.

dalchina, Aug 19, 2020
  3. Cannot update driver in Safe Mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

Did you try to update your driver in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking?

If you tried to update your driver in Safe Mode, the driver will not updated through Windows Updates or Intel device updater as you will not be connected to the internet in this mode.

I would suggest that you follow the method below and check if you are able to successfully update your graphic driver.

Uninstalling and Downloading driver.

• Right click on theStart Menu and select
      Device Manager.
    • Open Device Manager, double click to expand Display Adapter.
    • Right-click the device, and click Uninstall.
    • Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click
      OK
      to remove the driver.
    • After the uninstallation is complete, reboot your computer.
    • After you have successfully uninstalled the driver, visit the computer manufacturer’s website, download the Windows 10 driver for your computer and check.

Note: You can perform this method from your normal desktop mode.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 19, 2020
  4. Driver update failure via Device Manager in Safe Mode -

Cannot update driver in Safe Mode

Hello Vanessa,

Yes, I did all of the directions like you said. I went in Safe Mode and Uninstalled the driver (including the driver software) after I did then I rebooted where I was not in safe mode and updated. It then told me that Windows could not complete the update
    at that time. I don't recall the error code, or if there was even one. If I try to update using Intel's Update Software it tells me there is a update available for my driver, but when I install it it tells me that it is not compatible with my computer. I have
    even tried going on my computer manufacturers website and there is no display drivers available there. I am at a loss here. Is my display driver now unsupported?

Thank you!

rollerscoas, Aug 19, 2020
Thema:

Driver update failure via Device Manager in Safe Mode -

1. Driver update failure via Device Manager in Safe Mode - - Similar Threads - Driver update failure

2. Unable to open device manager in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open device manager in safe mode: Hi, So I've been getting a blue error message on my windows 11 laptop, every once in a while. I followed the microsoft troubleshoot options, and I'm able to try out all options except trying to rollback any devices that might be affecting my device. I need to do this on safe...
  3. Unable to open device manager in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open device manager in safe mode: Hi, So I've been getting a blue error message on my windows 11 laptop, every once in a while. I followed the microsoft troubleshoot options, and I'm able to try out all options except trying to rollback any devices that might be affecting my device. I need to do this on safe...
  4. Win10 Rollback failure in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Rollback failure in safe mode: Hi,Given a PC to fix, running Win10 Home. Rollback failure using Windows Media Creation disk.All troubleshoot options failed.On repair there is a Win10 Rollback, as well as Win10 option to select from. Tried both - no joy.Followed other examples from similar issues to no...
  5. Win10 Rollback failure in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Rollback failure in safe mode: Hi,Given a PC to fix, running Win10 Home. Rollback failure using Windows Media Creation disk.All troubleshoot options failed.On repair there is a Win10 Rollback, as well as Win10 option to select from. Tried both - no joy.Followed other examples from similar issues to no...
  6. Device Manager failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Device Manager failure: When I try to start Device Manager either from Control Panel or otherwise, it shows the blank Device Manager window for a second and then disappears. I have run scanhealth and restorehealth from the DOS window which did nothing, but reported corruption it scanhealth that...
  7. windows driver update can't be installed via device manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows driver update can't be installed via device manager: I have downloaded my Asus laptop driver files from Asus website and tried to install latest version of some drivers in device manager but it can't find my new update files anywhere in my computer also it can't find any update for drivers by searching online how can I solve...
  8. Can't Update Drivers with Yellow Warning Signs in Device Manager (in Safe Mode)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Update Drivers with Yellow Warning Signs in Device Manager (in Safe Mode): I recently got a new computer and decided to add my hard drive from my previous computer to this new one. While it works fine most of the time, there are a few occurrences where the computer completely crashes, and I end up getting a WHEA UNCONTROLLABLE ERROR error. First...
  9. Updating drivers in safe mode

Updating drivers in safe mode: Hello, I've been appealing to the Microsoft Community to ask you to believe that if I can update my Safe Mode drivers. I mention that I went into the safe mode in computer mode last night in the device manager section and I have some yellow drivers. How can I fix it to make...
  10. update drivers in device manager

update drivers in device manager: I need to update drivers, audio, keyboard, and more. Is it best to do this from device manager or elsewhere or not at all. 104015