Windows 10: Driver updates via Windows Update, more and more Extension Infs.

Discus and support Driver updates via Windows Update, more and more Extension Infs. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everybody, I noticed that e.g. for Intel UHD drivers which are updated via Windows Update, more and more extension drivers are added. Other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mfessler, Jun 21, 2020.

1. mfessler Win User

Driver updates via Windows Update, more and more Extension Infs.

Hello everybody,

I noticed that e.g. for Intel UHD drivers which are updated via Windows Update, more and more extension drivers are added. Other hardware (such as Realtek Audio) have also some extension drivers, but here they are at least replaced instead of accumulated.

Apart from the fact that driver updates that are so frequent cause me some discomfort (in the long run problems have to arise) is this accumulation of Extension Infs very ugly.

Generally, these extension drivers are somewhat unclear.
    For example, I have the experience that they are sometimes not updated outside of windows update (i.e. automatically or via the device manager) until the "main driver" is removed and reinstalled.
    If, on the other hand, I only update the "main driver", the old Extension Infs are simply adopted ... a nice mess.
    Especially if you should have deactivated driver updates via WU - via WU they will be updated properly or accumulated... like in the case of Intel.

Here is a list of the updates of the last 5 months - 3 extensions have now become 6!

Driver updates via Windows Update, more and more Extension Infs. [​IMG]

Can please someone explain the thing with this Extension Infs to me?
    And why are these piling up with the Intel UHD drivers?

Thanks and greetings,
    Martin

:)

mfessler, Jun 21, 2020
  2. btarunr Win User

NVIDIA Adds Windows 8 to GeForce Driver Update Stack

AMD may have been the first to be out with drivers for its Radeon GPUs that are optimized for Windows 8 (WDDM 1.2), but NVIDIA went a step ahead of "special-releases" for its GeForce drivers, and added Windows 8 to its update stack, meaning that Windows 8 will feature in the list of operating systems to pick from, to download drivers. NVIDIA will constantly update these drivers along with mainline releases for Windows 7/Vista and XP. The latest such driver is 296.17. This driver supports GeForce and Quadro GPUs, and according to NVIDIA, is a quick-update over 295.73 WHQL, with the addition of performance optimization for Blacklight: Retribution.

Driver updates via Windows Update, more and more Extension Infs. 152a_thm.jpg

Source: VR-Zone

btarunr, Jun 21, 2020
  3. XVI
    xvi Win User
    Driver update software

Windows Update should have a considerable amount of good drivers. They'll be listed under the "Optional Updates" section. That should give you rather good functionality right off the bat. If it's a branded PC, latest drivers will likely have to come from the manufacturer's website. For the most part, built-in drivers should be Good Enough™

I don't think I've run across an automagic driver installer that wasn't loaded with malware.

4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Driver updates via Windows Update, more and more Extension Infs. - Similar Threads - Driver updates via

2. Windows update overrides a more recent intel driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update overrides a more recent intel driver: Graphic intel driver 31.0.101.2125 dated 2023 june 15th solves screen flickering problem occuring after installing KB5023706However, Windows Update overrides this driver with an older version 26.20.100.7926 dated 2020 Feb 25Please fix windows update process to make sure...
  3. More Update woes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    More Update woes.: The latest windows 10 update wiped out several programs, removed the password or PIN option completely and so boots straight into windows 10. Will only open in Safe Mode and will not recognise anything to do with wifi. Most programs that are left have failed to open. Bios...
  4. More Update woes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    More Update woes.: The latest windows 10 update wiped out several programs, removed the password or PIN option completely and so boots straight into windows 10. Will only open in Safe Mode and will not recognise anything to do with wifi. Most programs that are left have failed to open. Bios...
  5. More Update woes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Can't Update and More

Can't Update and More: Hi, like a week or so I've started to notice strange behavior of my PC. In short, when I press Sleep the monitor shutdowns but everything else keeps working and then the monitor powers back up, the same goes for the Shut Down. From that day forth I had to force shut down of...
  7. Driver updates via WU Windows 10, more and more Extension Infs. Does anyone still know...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver updates via WU Windows 10, more and more Extension Infs. Does anyone still know...: Hello everybody, I noticed that e.g. for Intel UHD drivers which are updated via Windows Update, more and more extension drivers are added. Other hardware such as Realtek Audio have also some extension drivers, but here they are at least replaced instead of accumulated....
  8. MORE UPDATES MORE ERROR'S FOR ME

MORE UPDATES MORE ERROR'S FOR ME: HI IAM KOREON SMITH FROM INDONESIA First I have a big question and I happen to be a new laptop, because I went to design school, so I bought a laptop that has only 8GB of RAM with AMD Ryzen 5 that can handle some heavy design applications for a while before assembling...
  9. No more updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No more updates?: hi . it's about two or three weeks that i dont receive any updates for my windows 10 enterprise. is there a problem or it's normal? total 83 updates installed on my machine. and everytime i check updates it says your computer is up to date. is microsoft going to fix that...
  10. Windows update more information

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update more information: hey how can i tell what is the size of the update ? like in windows 7 or can i know the approximate time to finish and the downloading speed? thanks 19018