Windows 10: Driver updates via Windows update - your experiences?

Discus and support Driver updates via Windows update - your experiences? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everybody, what is your experience with driver updates via windows updates? My question mainly concerns devices from family and friends -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Martin Fessler, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Driver updates via Windows update - your experiences?

Hello everybody,

what is your experience with driver updates via windows updates?
    My question mainly concerns devices from family and friends - devices that you install once and only then see again when there are problems.
    Already the idea "driver updates"... from Win 3.1 until now I only updated drivers if there were problems.
    But well, thanks to the now short life cycle, nothing is as it was. :-

As someone who actually goes by the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!", I am horrified to get new drivers every few weeks.

I just see the following advantages:

- It is easier for the user to install new hardware.
    - Feature updates may not be installed with old drivers or cause problems.

At least the first one is fixable by allowing driver updates via the device-manager.

What is your experience with it?

Thanks and greetings,
    Martin

:)

Martin Fessler, Apr 4, 2020
  2. btarunr Win User

NVIDIA Adds Windows 8 to GeForce Driver Update Stack

AMD may have been the first to be out with drivers for its Radeon GPUs that are optimized for Windows 8 (WDDM 1.2), but NVIDIA went a step ahead of "special-releases" for its GeForce drivers, and added Windows 8 to its update stack, meaning that Windows 8 will feature in the list of operating systems to pick from, to download drivers. NVIDIA will constantly update these drivers along with mainline releases for Windows 7/Vista and XP. The latest such driver is 296.17. This driver supports GeForce and Quadro GPUs, and according to NVIDIA, is a quick-update over 295.73 WHQL, with the addition of performance optimization for Blacklight: Retribution.

Driver updates via Windows update - your experiences? 152a_thm.jpg

Source: VR-Zone

btarunr, Apr 4, 2020
  3. XVI
    xvi Win User
    Driver update software

Windows Update should have a considerable amount of good drivers. They'll be listed under the "Optional Updates" section. That should give you rather good functionality right off the bat. If it's a branded PC, latest drivers will likely have to come from the manufacturer's website. For the most part, built-in drivers should be Good Enough™

I don't think I've run across an automagic driver installer that wasn't loaded with malware.

4. AsRock Win User

Driver updates via Windows update - your experiences?

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

Driver updates via Windows update - your experiences?

1. Driver updates via Windows update - your experiences? - Similar Threads - Driver updates via

2. Microsoft ends printer driver installations and updates via Windows Update

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft ends printer driver installations and updates via Windows Update: Windows users who connect a printer to a PC may notice one of two things: the printer is detected automatically and usable right away, or it is not. It is then necessary in the latter case to go hunting for drivers for that printer to install them manually on the system....
  3. amd drivers wrong update via windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    amd drivers wrong update via windows update: Hi, I've tried to udate my laptop with the latest AMD drivers for my GPU version 27.20.12031.1000 but windows update keep installing the 26.20.11030.2003 version. So the software Adrenalin still crash and returns the error "driver version is different from the software....
  4. What is the Optional Intel Driver Update via Windows Update?

What is the Optional Intel Driver Update via Windows Update?: INTEL - System - 10/3/2016 12:00:00 AM - 10.1.1.38 ((Already Installed though, as i always installed any optional driver update or optional update that comes along, and machine is backed up with Macirum reflect images, so i was like ok, and installed it)) It drives me nuts...
  5. Update to 2004 experience.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update to 2004 experience.: Thank you all for the valuable information you provide. Yesterday I did some routine drive cleanup and created a new backup image. Ironically I received my first notice for the 2004 update today. Like others I have been tempted to get the 2004 iso ad "try it out" but instead...
  6. Windows 10 driver updates experience will finally get better

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 driver updates experience will finally get better: Windows 10 has been hitting problems with some driver updates pushed via Windows Update and Microsoft said that they’re working on new policies to improve the quality of driver updates, address crashes and compatibility issues. Last year, driver updates from chipmakers and...
  7. View Poll Results: Driver updates via Windows update - your experiences?

View Poll Results: Driver updates via Windows update - your experiences?: Hello everybody, what is your experience with driver updates via windows updates? My question mainly concerns devices from family and friends - devices that you install once and only then see again when there are problems. Already the idea "driver updates"... from Win 3.1...
  8. Windows forcing old driver via update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows forcing old driver via update: Windows is forcing me to download old driver even if newer driver is installed. I have windows 10 home therefore cannot use registry editor. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-forcing-old-driver-via-update/923467f1-7acf-421e-aa4a-5216d54ab952
  9. Updating Display Drivers (best gaming experience)

Updating Display Drivers (best gaming experience): So I'm not actually a gamer, but this doesn't count that much for the theme of the thread. I play from time to time the Witcher series, but for W10 I still have the display drivers got by Update Center from October 2015. I got a NVidia 840M display card. The most recent...
  10. Geforce Experiance updates.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Geforce Experiance updates.: I frequently get invitations from Nvidia's Geforce Experience to download the latest drivers, today they are at 373.06. The never start downloading. In my case, using a low end card to run my AOC Q2770P and not needing the latest drivers for gaming means that I don't mind...