Windows 10: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Discus and support DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; so i had another bsod and the error code was driver power state failure so like I'm going to send the file link and check to see what's causing this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Travis Noack, Jan 15, 2023.

1. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

so i had another bsod and the error code was driver power state failure so like I'm going to send the file link and check to see what's causing this error

:)

Travis Noack, Jan 15, 2023
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows 10 BSOD - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are receiving Blue Screen error with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE on your computer. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• When exactly do you receive the Blue Screen error?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

I have tried to access the link for dump files shared by you. However, I was unable to access the link. I would suggest you to upload the files in OneDrive and share the link.

The DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error occurs when the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. You may want to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the Remarks section of the
    article Bug Check 0x9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    and see if that helps.

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

You may also want to refer the steps mentioned in the article Troubleshoot
    blue screen errors

We await your response.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 15, 2023
  3. Knots23 Win User
    BSOD when running on battery - driver_power_state_failure

***Merged***

Hello,

Since a few months my laptop - MSI GS60 2PE running Windows 10 Home - started giving BSOD's with the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE after a seemingly random time when running on the battery. As I'm using it every day for work,
    I depend on the machine and managed by just plugging it in.

While that works, I know it should be possible to make it work on the battery...

I've recently "reset this pc" using the build in option in Windows 10, after which I installed all "latest" drivers from the MSI site. I also re-installed all programs required to do my job and play some games.

Yesterday, Windows wanted to install the Fall Creators Update: I did. Booting the laptop while unplugged now gave me another BSOD, though with a different message: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR. This seems to point to the Intel HD 4600 or Nvidia
    GTX 870M.

To sum up some other issues I was starting out with...

Syptoms

• When unplugged, a BSOD occurs after a seemingly random time. (driver_power_state_failure)
      • After updating to the fall creators version, it also throws video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error; feels like a coin flip which one it will show.
    • Bluetooth was failing after a couple of minutes, regardless whether I used it or not and whether the laptop was plugged in or not.
    • Shutting down Windows would sometimes just heat up the CPU, make the fan go haywire and do nothing but turning the screen off.

I've tried / did:

• All drivers are up to date. This was verified by using DriverView and manually going over all of the non-Microsoft drivers.
      • This step fixed symptom 2 described above. Next to the latest version there was some patch (or 3 major versions ago) that couldn't be removed by conventional means. The build in troubleshooter actually removed it and bluetooth is now working
        as it should.
      • The HD4600 drivers were removed from the device management and I installed the latest according to the Intel site.
      • DDU was used in safe mode to remove the Nvidia driver and the latest one was installed.
    • BlueScreenViewer shows the minidumps and lots of drivers.
      • The one created when the driver_power_state_failure occurred is useless, as nothing is marked but the ntoskrnl.
      • The one created when the video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error occurred shows ntoskrnl, watchdog and dxgkrnl.
    • A clean boot (disabling all non-Microsoft services and disabling all startup programs) still results in the BSOD.
    • Booting the laptop while plugged in, letting it run for a couple of minutes so everything is started and then unplugging it also seems to work.
      • Yesterday, I unplugged it and could work with it for about 2.5 hours before it called out for power: I doubt the battery is the issue.
      • I was asked to run a battery check (powercfg -energy -output ...) but that doesn't seem to show any issues. (design capacity '55031' Last full
        charge '38556'. The laptop is over three years old.)
    • Starting in safe mode with networking will not result in a BSOD. (At least not within the hour I left it on.)
    • Unchecking 'turn on fast startup' - as suggested in so many posts - in the power settings only causes issues.
      • When unchecked, windows won't shut down properly.
      • When checked, it does shut down normally. This seems to be the
        fix for symptom 3.
    • Running various Windows troubleshooters didn't do much. Only the 'Windows Update' said it had some fixes regarding the database and 'fixed' it.
    • The bios is up to date. (Version E16H2IMS.112)

Any help would be welcome.

Cheers!

PS: yes this post looks a lot like my
    previous post
    , but that was marked answered because a moderator thinks all checks suggested can be performed within three days, next to a daily routine.

Knots23, Jan 15, 2023
  4. radonkers Win User

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

recurring Driver_power_state_failure with Windows 10

Latest update #2: bad news! Driver_power_state_failure error occurred again yesterday, so the latest nVidia driver update does not appear to have been the solution. So I shifted my focus to ZigZags suggestion to update the NW1900.sys driver, but I cannot
    find an update anywhere online. My PC display driver is provided by NextWindow, but I think they are no longer in business. I have version 1.4.0.0, which was released in 2012-5-17. Any suggestions.

radonkers, Jan 15, 2023
Thema:

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

1. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - Similar Threads - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

2. Dell 7620 Win 11 randomly rebooting with driver_power_state_failure 9f

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell 7620 Win 11 randomly rebooting with driver_power_state_failure 9f: Hi, my machine was purchased directly from Dell 1 year ago and was working fine up until about a month ago and now keeps randomly rebooting. I don't play any games or run anything high power - it will reboot even if I just have a web browser open and I'm not actively doing...
  3. Dell 7620 Win 11 randomly rebooting with driver_power_state_failure 9f

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell 7620 Win 11 randomly rebooting with driver_power_state_failure 9f: Hi, my machine was purchased directly from Dell 1 year ago and was working fine up until about a month ago and now keeps randomly rebooting. I don't play any games or run anything high power - it will reboot even if I just have a web browser open and I'm not actively doing...
  4. Blue Screen Crash with Error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen Crash with Error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: I started receiving a Blue Screen crash with the error code DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.Minidump:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ApfrrgARnuefnlOv-HzsgfPrE3irJxAQ/view?usp=sharing...
  5. Blue Screen Crash with Error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Blue Screen Crash with Error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: I started receiving a Blue Screen crash with the error code DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.Minidump:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ApfrrgARnuefnlOv-HzsgfPrE3irJxAQ/view?usp=sharing...
  6. Driver_POWER_STATE_FAILURE occures when restarting or shutting down computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver_POWER_STATE_FAILURE occures when restarting or shutting down computer: I began encountering this error after updating certain drivers. I attempted to uninstall or rollback the drivers, but my computer was operating sluggishly at the time. Consequently, I opted to reset my computer, which resulted in smoother performance. However, despite this...
  7. Driver_POWER_STATE_FAILURE occures when restarting or shutting down computer

Driver_POWER_STATE_FAILURE occures when restarting or shutting down computer: I began encountering this error after updating certain drivers. I attempted to uninstall or rollback the drivers, but my computer was operating sluggishly at the time. Consequently, I opted to reset my computer, which resulted in smoother performance. However, despite this...
  8. BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: My Dell Latitude 3410 crashed while the lid is closed and the fans started to get loud and when the lid is opened, it displayed a BSOD and shows the stop code: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. How to resolve this problem?...
  9. BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: My Dell Latitude 3410 crashed while the lid is closed and the fans started to get loud and when the lid is opened, it displayed a BSOD and shows the stop code: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. How to resolve this problem?...
  10. BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE