Windows 10: Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive

Discus and support Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! So recently I bought a device that I can plug the hard drive of my old laptop to a usb converter so that I can get all my files from it. I then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by radl17, Jun 1, 2019.

1. radl17 Win User

Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive

Hello! So recently I bought a device that I can plug the hard drive of my old laptop to a usb converter so that I can get all my files from it. I then decided to shut off my new laptop with the hard drive still plugged in, and once I turned it on it booted up with my old hard drive rather than my new one. Essentially I kept doing this thing where I shut off my laptop to be able to access and bootup from my old hard drive as there were some apps that I was able to use there.

Then one day I shut off my laptop then unplugged the usb with my hard drive and when I turned my laptop back on, none of the drivers were properly loaded. The Intel display settings weren't working and now when I open up device manager my nvidia graphics card doesn't even show up. My headphone jack also doesn't work and the brightness doesn't even change. Please help me (

This also happens when I try to update my nvidia driver

:)

radl17, Jun 1, 2019
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jun 1, 2019
  3. Computer freezes and Explorer doen't respond when I plug an external Hard drive

Hello jobkakule,

The issue is possibly caused by corrupted data or bad sectors on your external hard drive or could be a sign of a failing hard drive.

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    1. Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    2. Click OK.
    • Have you tried plugging your external hard drive to a different USB port? Also, check if you can access the drive by plugging it to a different computer.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I'd suggest to repair the bad sectors on your external hard drive. Kindly refer to the steps below:

(Let's just assume that the drive letter for your external hard drive is E. If not, please do change it to the correct drive letter)

1. Plug in your external hard drive. Click on Start, search for
    Command Prompt, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.

2. Type in the following command below and press Enter after each command:

Chkdsk /f E:

Chkdsk /r E:

3. Reboot your computer after the scan is completed.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Jun 1, 2019
  4. Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive

Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home - Global Support - FR

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Jun 1, 2019
Thema:

Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive

1. Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive - Similar Threads - Drivers aren't loading

2. wifi stops when i plug an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wifi stops when i plug an external hard drive: My wifi crashes whenever my external hard drive is plugged in through a usb 3.0 port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-stops-when-i-plug-an-external-hard-drive/a7aedc9b-4dce-48cd-aab4-8e61b86c789e
  3. wifi stops when i plug an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wifi stops when i plug an external hard drive: My wifi crashes whenever my external hard drive is plugged in through a usb 3.0 port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-stops-when-i-plug-an-external-hard-drive/a7aedc9b-4dce-48cd-aab4-8e61b86c789e
  4. wifi stops when i plug an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems: I've been having problems with my disk being 100% randomly and i've tried all the fixes from changing virtual memory, stopping services like sysmain and windows search and installing new drivers none of them have fixed the problem so im thinking about changing hard drive i...
  6. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems: I've been having problems with my disk being 100% randomly and i've tried all the fixes from changing virtual memory, stopping services like sysmain and windows search and installing new drivers none of them have fixed the problem so im thinking about changing hard drive i...
  7. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. External Hard Drive Crashing Windows 10 when plugged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External Hard Drive Crashing Windows 10 when plugged: Hello,Suddenly my pc crashes immediately after I plug any external drives on any USB ports.At the second I plug an external HDD my pc shutdown. i tried different ones to make sure the issue was not coming from the HDD itselfIf I boot the pc with the HDD already plugged, it...
  9. External Hard drive drivers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Hard drive drivers: Since the windows 10 update my external hard drive no longer works...it says I need the driver...how do I get a driver for it so I can see my files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-drivers/1936ebce-1725-4ab5-b9a0-d1af860aa8b0
  10. Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive: Hello! So recently I bought a device that I can plug the hard drive of my old laptop to a usb converter so that I can get all my files from it. I then decided to shut off my new laptop with the hard drive still plugged in, and once I turned it on it booted up with my old hard...