Windows 10: DriverStore Help - Can't delete duplicate drivers

Discus and support DriverStore Help - Can't delete duplicate drivers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I noticed in DriverStoreExplorer that I have somehow ended up with two identical drivers...prosetextension is what it's called. Obviously by Intel.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mccnavy, Jun 27, 2019.

1. mccnavy Win User

DriverStore Help - Can't delete duplicate drivers

I noticed in DriverStoreExplorer that I have somehow ended up with two identical drivers...prosetextension is what it's called. Obviously by Intel. They are the same version as well. I tried to delete them, or at least one, and both are unable to be deleted as both are allegedly in use. I thought that it was either my Wireless adapter or lBuetooth adapter but after deleting them I still couldn't delete the duplicate driverstore folders. Eventually, using Unlocker I was able to delete the folders but there were a lot of entries in the registry associated with each that could not be deleted, and DriverStoreExplorer now showed them as "Unknown" and still undeletable. I ended up doing a system restore and got everything back to what it was. Is there a program that will tell me what is using them...and their associated oemXX.inf files?

:)

mccnavy, Jun 27, 2019
  2. JNygrenMN Win User

How to eliminate duplicate files in DriverStore on Windows 10 wasting gigabytes of space?

I had a second look at DriverStore Explorer, and found it wasn't as complicated as it sounded. When I backup (clone) my system, I try to clean up as much unnecessary stuff as possible, to keep the size of the backup to a minimum. The 7.5 GB DriverStore bothered
    me a lot. I downloaded and used RAPR (DriverStore Explorer), and now my DriverStore is 950 MB. Thank you for suggesting my new favorite utility!

My 3 year old laptop was listed as compatible with version 1511, but not with 1607. I can no longer disable my touchpad, and haven't found a driver that fixes that. The 'no bypassing Pretty Picture (lock screen)', no NumLock on startup, no control over updates,
    and wi-fi communication that randomly goes silent a couple of times a day, have left me less-than-thrilled with Windows 10. I have wasted hundreds of hours trying to fix Win10 issues, a few of them successfully (SD card reader, and a few others), but the rest
    apparently unsolvable. Microsoft has no right to force this broken OS on us without providing resolutions to the problems it causes.

Again, thank you for the help with the huge DriverStore issue.

JNygrenMN, Jun 27, 2019
  3. ddelo Win User
    Latest Realtek HD Audio Driver Version

You need to delete the Realtek drivers from the driverstore.

To do that follow these steps:

1. To take a list of all drivers and find the driver you want to change. From the list make a note of the oemxx.inf filenames of the installed Realtek drivers. You might have two drivers: The current driver and the one you can rollback to. They both exist in the driverstore.
    From an elevated command prompt run the command:
    Code:
    Code:
    pnputil /enum-drivers
    2. Backup the installed Realtek drivers, where XX=the driver numbers of the Realtek drivers from step 1.
    First, create a folder for each of the installed Realtek drivers, (if you have more than one, the current and the one to rollback to) found in step 1.
    Run the command for each of the drivers in the driverstore. (run it once or twice, depending on the number of drivers you currently have)
    Code:
    Code:
    pnputil /export-driver oemXX.inf <Realtek Backup folder>
    example: If the current driver is oem12.inf and the backup folder you created is in your desktop the folder RTLBackup1, the command should be:
    pnputil /export-driver oem12.inf %userprofile\Desktop\RTLBackup1

3. Remove the drivers, where XX=the driver numbers of the Realtek drivers from step 1 (run it once or twice depending on the number of drivers you currently have)
    Code:
    Code:
    pnputil /delete-driver oemXX.inf /force
    4. Go to Device Manager, find the Realtek Audio device and install the driver you want, by selecting Update driver and selecting to get the driver from your PC, in the folder where you have unpacked the cab file from Microsoft Update Catalog.

5. When done, and everything is according to what you want, you can delete the driver backup folders you created in step 2

EDIT: Alternatively as @DooGie suggested you can use DriverStore Explorer [RAPR], a free third party application to do the same thing, in a GUI.

ddelo, Jun 27, 2019
  4. erocker Win User

ATI Driver install problems

It's all laid out here: How To: Reinstall Video Drivers (Quick Guide)

It could be a problem with the monitors OSD chip.

erocker, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

1. DriverStore Help - Can't delete duplicate drivers - Similar Threads - DriverStore Help Can't

2. Driverstore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driverstore: I saw driverstore is the second big files in system 32 in spacesniffer. This driverstore folder is 3.9gb. I want to find ways how to delete old files inside driverstore. I want to see the list using dism command for driverstore in command prompt but access denied. And i saw...
  3. Driverstore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Driverstore: I saw driverstore is the second big files in system 32 in spacesniffer. This driverstore folder is 3.9gb. I want to find ways how to delete old files inside driverstore. I want to see the list using dism command for driverstore in command prompt but access denied. And i saw...
  4. deleted a file from driverstore/filerepository and know my drivers wont update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleted a file from driverstore/filerepository and know my drivers wont update: i deleted a file from driverstore/filerepository and know i cant update my drivers and other issuesPlease Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-a-file-from-driverstorefilerepository-and/1fd2bb32-c69f-4f11-88aa-1d8c3e6efc82
  5. deleted a file from driverstore/filerepository and know my drivers wont update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleted a file from driverstore/filerepository and know my drivers wont update: i deleted a file from driverstore/filerepository and know i cant update my drivers and other issuesPlease Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-a-file-from-driverstorefilerepository-and/1fd2bb32-c69f-4f11-88aa-1d8c3e6efc82
  6. deleted a file from driverstore/filerepository and know my drivers wont update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Need Help On Deleting Duplicate Drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need Help On Deleting Duplicate Drivers: So idk how to delete duplicate drivers. I have a old hard drive im gonna plug into my computer and it has some chipset drivers and graphics card drivers that are either not compatible with my new cpu or duplicates of my same graphics card drivers. The old hard drive has some...
  8. Can't delete duplicate system folers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete duplicate system folers: I was trying to delete these folders which are cramping my navigation pane but can't because these are classified as "System Folders". I'm wondering if there is any workaround on this. [ATTACH]...
  9. DriverStore - Folder and sub-folders deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DriverStore - Folder and sub-folders deleted: I'm working on a machine, Dell Vostro 230 running V1803. All attempts to update to a more current version fail with error relating to bad path. I also noticed I cannot update any driver even if I download drivers direct from Dell. So I investigated and the DriverStore...
  10. Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Delete Windows.old because of leftover DriverStore folders: After waiting for some indication of what to do with my existing Windows 10.0.240 installation I decided to bite the bullet and just download the Media Creation Tool. I then allowed it to "upgrade" my existing Windows 10 install, a process that went smoothly until I tried to...