Windows 10: Drives incorrectly recognised as removable; fix via registry made one

Discus and support Drives incorrectly recognised as removable; fix via registry made one in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have multiple internal HDDs recognised by Windows as portable/removable drives. I tried using the linked instructions to get Windows to recognise... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by THX1138, Apr 15, 2019.

1. THX1138 Win User

Drives incorrectly recognised as removable; fix via registry made one

I have multiple internal HDDs recognised by Windows as portable/removable drives. I tried using the linked instructions to get Windows to recognise them as internal/non-removable and failed. I used the following commands:

reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d 0
    reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d 1
    reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d 2
    reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d 3

Since I had four drives on those busses. I restarted my PC and it seems to have done nothing to address the problem and has knocked one drive off-line (an m.2 SSD which is connected to my motherboard via a PCIE adapter).

If I open the registry and go to the relevant section, I see that there is just one entry containing 3, with the previous three additions being overwritten; a kind of pointless "solution" to my problem. If I delete TreatAsInternalPort, will that be likely to restore my missing SSD? Thanks.

Drives incorrectly recognised as removable; fix via registry made one [​IMG]

:)

THX1138, Apr 15, 2019

2. registry fix

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

I would like to know some information.

• What registry fix are you trying to run?

• What is the exact issue that you are facing?

• Have you taken a backup of all your data?
    I would suggest you to take a backup of all your data before doing any changes in the registry keys. If you do any incorrect changes to the registry you won’t be able to boot the computer.

Disclaimer: This section, method, or task contains steps that tells you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
    carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in
    the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

Please let us know the information in brief. We will be glad to assist you further.

Mayank Gupta10, Apr 15, 2019
  3. Registry editing

Hello,

This issue may have occurred after one of the following situations:

• You upgrade the Windows operating system.
    • You install or uninstall CD or DVD recording programs.
    • You uninstall Microsoft Digital Image.

Given that, we suggest performing the methods in this article:
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs
    The resolutions that are listed in that article may help solve some instances but not all instances of this problem.

Important:This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    article.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Apr 15, 2019
  4. Drives incorrectly recognised as removable; fix via registry made one

Optical drive is missing from computer, repairing registry does not work

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

As you have stated that your Optical Drive is missing from system and device manager.

I would like to ask few question regarding your issue:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• Have you installed all pending windows update on your computer (Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve
      how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.)

• Is your optical drive is internally or externally connected?
    Please follow the few Troubleshooting steps:

Method 1: Hardware Troubleshoot

• Uninstall the Driver if it showing in device manager.

• Restart the computer

• Windows will install the Generic driver for the Optical drive

• If not then, Download the Driver of Optical drive from the manufacture websites
    If the issue doesn’t resolved follow Method 2

Method 2: CD/DVD Fix it Troubleshooter and it also applies for windows 10

Please follow the KB article or Link to run a FIX it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the
    article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base

Please Reply us if the issue doesn’t resolved

Morris Subba, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

Drives incorrectly recognised as removable; fix via registry made one

1. Drives incorrectly recognised as removable; fix via registry made one - Similar Threads - Drives incorrectly recognised

2. Unable to access removable drives or registry editor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access removable drives or registry editor: Hello, I am currently unable to open or make changes to removable drives on my Dell Latitude 5520, and receive the message "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."I have checked for potential...
  3. Unable to access removable drives or registry editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access removable drives or registry editor: Hello, I am currently unable to open or make changes to removable drives on my Dell Latitude 5520, and receive the message "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."I have checked for potential...
  4. photos locked via One Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    photos locked via One Drive: This has been asked, I didn't understand the answers as I could not find the One Drive Icon to click. ALL my phots are locked apparently by One Drive--how that happened, beats me. And, within an hour or so of adding a photo, it too is locked. NOT happy as I have hundreds of...
  5. photos locked via One Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    photos locked via One Drive: This has been asked, I didn't understand the answers as I could not find the One Drive Icon to click. ALL my phots are locked apparently by One Drive--how that happened, beats me. And, within an hour or so of adding a photo, it too is locked. NOT happy as I have hundreds of...
  6. Registry fix to remove Locations Tab

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry fix to remove Locations Tab: I want to block access the locations tab on my special folders. Is there a way of doing this apart than downloading a reg file, e.g. some sort of specific typed registry edit? Many thanks. 173623
  7. windows not recognising Removable Inenso Hard Drive 1TB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows not recognising Removable Inenso Hard Drive 1TB: trying to save backup to separate disk drive 1TB : windows does not recognise removable Intenso Hard Drive 1tb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-not-recognising-removable-inenso-hard/742bd9db-6d7b-4769-857d-c27612904144
  8. Incorrectly recognised name of SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Incorrectly recognised name of SSD: Hello, I recently bought a crucial MX500 1TB SSD to replace my MX500 250GB SSD. I have the 250GB SSD connected to my laptop through a SATA III to USB adapter. I am currently using the 1TB SSD. However, Windows seems to get its name messed up. It is able to recognise...
  9. Drives incorrectly recognised as removable; fix via registry made one

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Drives incorrectly recognised as removable; fix via registry made one: I have multiple internal HDDs recognised by Windows as portable/removable drives. I tried using the linked instructions to get Windows to recognise them as internal/non-removable and failed. I used the following commands: reg.exe add...
  10. Only one of two optical drives recognised by W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Only one of two optical drives recognised by W10: HI, still checking out changes but most obvious is loss one of my drives. can anybody advise how to locate? 13296