Windows 10: Drives letters getting swapped

Discus and support Drives letters getting swapped in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I've noticed on during my last restoring of my system and reloading of W10 Pro, that after I reattach the 2nd, third drive and the DVD, they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by glennc, Feb 24, 2017.

1. glennc Win User

Drives letters getting swapped

Hello,
    I've noticed on during my last restoring of my system and reloading of W10 Pro, that after I reattach the 2nd, third drive and the DVD, they got swapped in the system. Could it be the bios on an old Gigabyte motherboard or the OS. I guess I can use disk manager to reassign them but it causes headaches with restoring in Paragon may have been a part of my last crisis.
    Opinions and any suggestions requested
    Thanks

:)

glennc, Feb 24, 2017
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

External Drive Letter G is Not Available

Hi Jerry,

Looks like you are encountering an issue with managing the driver letters for your drives. To troubleshoot this concern, can you confirm if you have tried plugging in other external drives and see if the drive letter that you want is assigned to that drive.
    You can then swap the drive letter for the two drives to get your previous backup settings.

If the suggestion above didn't work, feel free to post back so we can further troubleshoot.

Ferdz Amp, Feb 24, 2017
  3. Partition problems setting active and losing drive letter

Hello Lukas Drives letters getting swapped :)

Does your D drive (Disk 1) lose its letter? I would try swapping the SATA cables and ports between it and the optical drive and see if the issue persists.

You could also try assigning a different drive letter to your optical drive and then reassign a letter to your storage drive as this may be a case of signature collisions.

Captain_WD, Feb 24, 2017
  4. kipper Win User

Happening because of the on-board SATA ports that you are using directs how and when the system sees the drives......

You might try marking the end of the SATA cable that plugs into the drives with some type of annotation to remember to plug them back into the desired drive........I have them marked with a number system to ensure I plug them back where I had them so I wont have to manually go and change them in disc management or a partitioning software......

kipper, Feb 24, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    I'm wondering if W10's disk management can re-assign desired drive letters and make the desired drive letter designations stick.

RolandJS, Feb 24, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Plugging Internal drives into the same SATA ports on the motherboard is important but I see the problem happening more often with External USB drives not getting into the same USB port when plugging back in. I use Disk Management to verify and/or reassign drive letters. I have 2 Custom computers with GigaByte boards.

Berton, Feb 24, 2017
  7. glennc Win User
    Hello Kipper,
    What a good idea. Will do that and thank you!
    Best

glennc, Feb 24, 2017
  8. kipper Win User

You are welcome glennc........

kipper, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Drives letters getting swapped - Similar Threads - Drives letters getting

2. How to swap letters between disk drives Primary and secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to swap letters between disk drives Primary and secondary drive?: Hello. I need some help with my windows and drives. In total I have now 3 drives. C:, B:, and E:. The B: drive is the one I installed today. It is an M.2 4TB SSD. After I installed it, I created a GPT partition which worked fine. I then used AOMEI Backupper, to copy all the...
  3. How to swap letters between disk drives Primary and secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to swap letters between disk drives Primary and secondary drive?: Hello. I need some help with my windows and drives. In total I have now 3 drives. C:, B:, and E:. The B: drive is the one I installed today. It is an M.2 4TB SSD. After I installed it, I created a GPT partition which worked fine. I then used AOMEI Backupper, to copy all the...
  4. How to swap letters between disk drives Primary and secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Internal Storage Devices swap drive letters

Internal Storage Devices swap drive letters: The machine has a M.2 PCLe NVMe SSD (the system drive), an internal HDD storage drive, and an internal optical drive The SATA controller was set as RAID at the factory. I never enabled RAID on the system by any means to create RAID volumes. The BIOS lets me change the SATA...
  6. Drive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update: Hey, my drive letter swapped after automatic update in Windows 10. Because of that, i can't boot into windows safe mode too. Everytime I turn on my laptop, it's always tries to troubleshoot and do startup repair but it didn't work. I've tried to change back the drive letter...
  7. Swapping hard drives.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  8. Must Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives

Must Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives: I use a USB docking device and swap drives frequently. Every time I swap I must go into Disk Manager and rerereassign the same drive letter. Surely this isn't normal. How do I stop this behavior? 110555
  9. Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten: I have two SATA hot-swap drives that I alternate between each day for backups. When using Windows 7 I was able to assign the disks to g: and then after the initial assignment, windows would remember this and assign it to g: on each subsequent use. But with Windows 10 it...
  10. Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters: I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning? My new computer (an ASUS) currently has Windows 8.1. I intend to upgrade to Windows 10 before I do anything more. I will move the old Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows swapped driver letters