Windows 10: Dual boot 10 and 7 - 10 tried to upgrade 7

Discus and support Dual boot 10 and 7 - 10 tried to upgrade 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I think thats what happened. I booted into win10, the update (or is it it upgrade) assistant said there was an update to install. It then downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by michaelst, Jul 26, 2016.

1. michaelst Win User

Dual boot 10 and 7 - 10 tried to upgrade 7

I think thats what happened. I booted into win10, the update (or is it it upgrade) assistant said there was an update to install. It then downloaded something for about 45 minutes... rebooted... and gave me the big black screen, with the clock on it. When I reset and came back to the boot screen, there was another listing call Windows 10 start, in addition to my WIndows 7 and windows 10 selections.

I have the OS's on different SSD's. Did the windows 10 see the windows 7 disk and try to upgrade it to windows 10?

:)

michaelst, Jul 26, 2016

2. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Jul 26, 2016
  3. Dual boot system consisting of Windows 7 & Windows 10

Is it possible / permissible to alter an existing dual boot system of 2 windows 7 O.S. to upgrade one of the windows 7 to Windows 10 and leave the other Windows 7 as is? The result would be a dual boot system of Windows 7 & 10.

Billy Boy81, Jul 26, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Are you on build 10240 of Windows 10? (run winver to find out). If you are build 10240, then what you were seeing is the upgrade to the past November update which is build 10586. Your Windows 7 will not upgrade to Windows 10 when you are booted into Windows 10. Your Windows 7 will upgrade to Windows 10 only when you are booted into Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Jul 26, 2016
  5. michaelst Win User
    It would be nice if Microsoft would describe the process of 'updating' to a new version. Also, it would be nice if it would have retained all my security settings, which it didn't. It was practically like starting over, but with my software already loaded.

Thanks for your help, navyLCDR

michaelst, Jul 27, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep, that pretty much describes the upgrade from 10240 to 10586.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual boot 10 and 7 - 10 tried to upgrade 7 - Similar Threads - Dual boot tried

2. Upgrade to 10 from 7 on dual boot drive containing 7 and XP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to 10 from 7 on dual boot drive containing 7 and XP: I have Win7 and XP on a single SSD nicely set up for dual booting. Works perfectly. Can anyone say what will happen if I upgrade 7 to 10 using the Windows upgrade site method, downloading the update .exe file and firing away? Can anyone predict what will happen? Thanks, Jack...
  3. Trying to dual boot Windows 7

Trying to dual boot Windows 7: I'm trying to dual boot Windows 7 on my Windows 10 machine. I have the partition all set up on my drive and in the bios I have Secure Boot disabled and Legacy enabled,it has UEFI. When I boot with the Windows disk in the machine using the machines CD player it will not boot...
  4. Trying to dual boot Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trying to dual boot Windows 7: I'm trying to dual boot Windows 7 on my Windows 10 machine. I have the partition all set up on my drive and in the bios I have Secure Boot disabled and Legacy enabled,it has UEFI. When I boot with the Windows disk in the machine using the machines CD player it will not boot...
  5. Dual booting with Windows 7 and upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual booting with Windows 7 and upgrading to Windows 10: I have a laptop running Windows 10 Home edition and also have a spare Windows 7 Pro with a valid MSDN key. I read that you cannot upgrade Windows 7 registered with MSDN key but on another computer that had it running I went ahead with the upgrade and it worked. Activation...
  6. Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot

Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot: Below is a listing of my rig's internals. This was my umty-8th build 6years ago, with the Crucial M4 SSD and the Program drive and the Backup drive. The 1TB game drive was added about two years ago. Note: This rig has been nothing but fast and trouble free. Also, I build...
  7. dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question

dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question: i'm building a new windows 10 desktop to replace current windows 7 desktop but since all my software is only guaranteed to run on 7 i plan to build the new desktop as a dual boot ( 10 + 7 ) first and then eventually ( in a year or two ) convert to 10 only. i haven't...
  8. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  9. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  10. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...