Windows 10: Dual boot 2x Win10 on 2 HDs?

Discus and support Dual boot 2x Win10 on 2 HDs? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a pretty hardcore laptop from work, which i am also allowed to use for private use, so I have installed an ekstra SSD disk in the laptop and i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by J4ze, Aug 9, 2016.

1. J4ze Win User

Dual boot 2x Win10 on 2 HDs?

I have a pretty hardcore laptop from work, which i am also allowed to use for private use, so I have installed an ekstra SSD disk in the laptop and i was wondering if it was possible to install win 10 on that one and then get an option when i boot the pc, which disk/os i want to start up?
    Right now i have my company image of win 10 on the std harddrive and the other one is just empty, but visable (so it works).
    How will i go by doing this? Its important that nothing is happening to my company drive/os. I know it is protected by bit-logger, will this make things complicated?

Thanks in advance
    /Jack

:)

J4ze, Aug 9, 2016

2. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Back in the day I updated to Win10 by adding another SSD into my machine and created a dual boot when I "upgraded" from Win7. The other day my Win10 installation when belly up and I had to do a reinstall which has wiped out my dual boot. How do I tell Win10
    that my D:\ is my Win7 installation and crate a dual boot?

BryanDeVries, Aug 9, 2016
  3. win10 home auto powers on by it's self

So this did fix the booting into win10 first issue, i can now boot into win10 or win7 from the BCD boot menu and the win10 boot menu doesn't interfere or cause a dual boot to get back into win7.

JohnBelbeck, Aug 9, 2016
  4. J4ze Win User

Sorry to bump this thread.

I have now installed windows 10 on both my harddrives (SSD), both are inserted in the PC.
    When i start up, the windows on my primary harddisk is loaded, but i dont get a bootmanager or an option to boot from the other drive.
    When i am logged in to windows (on primary HD) i can see my other HD with the windows installation.

How do i get to choose which OS to boot up on?
    /

5. lx07 Win User
    Type bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the volume containing the other Windows installation.

If it isn't clear post a picture of disk management.

You can then change the descriptions to "Work" and "Home" for example using bcdedit command if you want but it isn't required.

6. J4ze Win User
    Thank you so much - see i knew it wasnt so hard, and i managed to use BCDedit to modify the description as well Dual boot 2x Win10 on 2 HDs? :)
    THANKS!

7. lx07 Win User
    You are welcome. Should have bumped it sooner *Wink

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual boot 2x Win10 on 2 HDs? - Similar Threads - Dual boot Win10

2. Win10 update fails with Win10/Win10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 update fails with Win10/Win10 dual boot: Hi,I have an HP Omen 17 laptop with a UEFI dual boot setup- Win10 Enterprise and Win10 Ent LTSC.The Win10 Enterprise is version 1909, and every attempt to update it to 21h0, 21h1 or 21H2 has failed. Error code 0x80242016.I've tried just about every trick in the book to fix...
  3. UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing

UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing: Dear all, I ll be the first to admit that I have created this mess, but now got so far stuck that I can't find a way out anymore. Any help is very welcome! What I did: 1. I started with 2 perfectly running win 10 pro installations on 2 different drives ("Work" drive and...
  4. UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing: Dear all, I ll be the first to admit that I have created this mess, but now got so far stuck that I can't find a way out anymore. Any help is very welcome! What I did: 1. I started with 2 perfectly running win 10 pro installations on 2 different drives ("Work" drive and...
  5. Problems dual booting 2x Win10 & even 1x Win7 1x Win10

Problems dual booting 2x Win10 & even 1x Win7 1x Win10: I'm no pro by the way guys so go easy :) So for 10 years or so i have had 2 Windows 7 installs on a dual boot / multi boot and before that the same with XP. To save time we'll not get in to the whys and why nots. I appreciate it's not the usual dual boot setup, you usually...
  6. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  7. Win10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 dual boot: Hey there I want some help with my dual boot.i have windows 10 and windows xp installed in my laptop and I want to see the boot choice menu before windows 10 load.Now windows 10 is loading first and give me the choice of Os,for that reason if I choose windows xp my laptop...
  8. Dual Boot question #2

Dual Boot question #2: Hello, I have a dual boot laptop (Legacy BIOS), with W 10 Pro x64 (clean installation from Media Creation Tool dvd) and W7 x64 The disk management layout is the following: (from left to right): Basic MBR Hard Disk 0 1) Recovery OEM Sony partition 15 GB primary (hidden...
  9. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010