Windows 10: Dual boot 8 and 10, will both be licensed?

Discus and support Dual boot 8 and 10, will both be licensed? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed W10 onto my daughters laptop, but rolled back to W8. Is it possible, now that there is a license for each, to partition and do a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JGM, Dec 4, 2017.

1. JGM
    JGM Win User

Dual boot 8 and 10, will both be licensed?

I installed W10 onto my daughters laptop, but rolled back to W8. Is it possible, now that there is a license for each, to partition and do a clean install of 10 creating a dual boot? and will both be licensed?
    Thank you.

:)

2. John582n Win User

Two corrupt versions of win 10

I don't know how you recover, but that issue can happen in a dual boot situation if you have Fast startup enabled. You should disable Fast startup in both Windows 8 and 10.

John582n, Dec 4, 2017
  3. KCA10 Win User
    KCA10, Dec 4, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Technically it will work but be aware you are strictly in violation of the EULA.

cereberus, Dec 4, 2017
  5. JGM
    JGM Win User
    So I would need to purchase a license? What is EULA by the way?
    Thank you for your reply, appreciated.

6. End-User License Agreement (EULA)

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 4, 2017
  7. End-User License Agreement (EULA)

When you installed Windows and activated they, you and Microsoft made a agreement how things should be done with installing and using Windows.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 4, 2017
  8. JGM
    JGM Win User

Thank you for your help, I'll stick with just W8 if that's the case.

9. AddRAM Win User
    Why ? when W10 is so much better *Smile

AddRAM, Dec 5, 2017
  10. Steve C Win User
    It should work. If you want to stay 'legal' you could buy a really cheap Windows 7 key and upgrade that for free to Windows 10. I did that 3 weeks ago and the free upgrade worked fine.

Steve C, Dec 5, 2017
  11. Barman58 Win User
    Due the basic law of supply and demand, a legitimate key for windows 7, (Very Rare), is currently anything up to three or more times the price of a legitimate key for windows 10 so you would be safer paying for a windows 10 rather than risk using one of the mostly counterfeit keys on sale on Ebay, Amazon Etc - you may find a discounted Win 7 (EOL), at one of the small local PC stores, but most of there places are becoming aware of the value of something that is rare.

Also you risk Microsoft retrospectively blacklisting all keys upgraded since the official end of the free upgrade period ( unlikely but a legal possibility )

Barman58, Dec 5, 2017
  12. JGM
    JGM Win User
    I know it is, but my daughter's not so sure, that's why I wanted to dual boot so she could get used to it.

13. f14tomcat Win User

I'm not sure about this, maybe Nigel knows (highly likely!). If your daughter just needs a little "play" time with Win 10 to see how it feels to her, can you install (dual or VM) and just not activate it? It should just expire, can't remember time period. Only a thought, kinda kicking the tires and a test spin before committing.

f14tomcat, Dec 5, 2017
  14. JGM
    JGM Win User
    It's a thought, have to just hope she'll get used to it before free offer expires. Thank you.

15. Barman58 Win User
    All Modern versions of windows have included at least a 30 day trial, with the ability to extend this 3 times which gives a theoretical maximum of 120 days which should be enough for a comprehensive trial.

With younger users I've often found that finding an App that only works with the New OS, (specifically an App in this case as they do not work on Windows 7 ) that appeals to them they then start to like the New windows more quickly, one of the available games or something like Paint 3D but actual age specific *Wink

Barman58, Dec 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Dual boot 8 and 10, will both be licensed? - Similar Threads - Dual boot both

2. How to dual boot Windows 10 on both different hard drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to dual boot Windows 10 on both different hard drives?: I have a PC with 2 different hard drives: 1 - 1 TB HDD ; 1 - 250 GB SSD. Last time, I installed Windows 10 on both hard drives in the same way (through USB installation). After some time, the HDD keeps crashing and can't boot windows. It happened to me like 3 times already....
  3. Windows 10 on dual-boot license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 on dual-boot license: I have a custom-built computer with a full copy of Windows 10 Pro. It's not an OEM license. I installed Linux in a partition and now I dual-boot. Most of the time, I prefer to run Linux. Can I use my Windows 10 license in a virtual machine while I'm running Linux?...
  4. Windows 8/10 dual boot problems with booting to the secondary system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 8/10 dual boot problems with booting to the secondary system: Hi, I installed Windows 10 beside of existing Windows 8.1 installation as secondary OS to second physical drive. When booting to Win 8, everything works fine but when booting Windows 10, I get the error screen shown below. The weir on it is that everything is at it's place...
  5. Dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 both 64 bit

Dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 both 64 bit: Though this question has been put up many times earlier but one thing is not clear. I have independently installed Win 7 and Win 10 on separate hard disks. When I installed Win 7, the Win 10 hard disk was not attached. In the same way when I installed Win 10, the Win 7 hard...
  6. Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10?

Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10?: Hi I'm getting there, I've downloaded the .ISO file, I've made 2 images of my C:\ drive (using 2 different backup programs) and I've created a 100 GB partition on my second hard drive labeled Windows 10. Now I'm going to create the install DVD. I'm hoping that...
  7. Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8

Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8: A little early but this is what I am looking at. [img] I plan to just remove Win 7 (C) and install Win 9 Preview in its place as (C) At present Win 8 is on a Logical drive (W) but have thought about deleting Win 7 and converting Win 8 (W) to a primary partition and...
  8. Are there Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot license restrictions?

Are there Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot license restrictions?: When Windows 10 comes out, I'll upgrade my 7 Pro license to 10. I really want a dual boot environment. I know how to build a 7 / 10 dual boot machine. Question is about licensing. Can I legally use my current Win 7 license along with the free upgrade license Windows 10...
  9. Questions about dual booting Windows 8 and 9?

Questions about dual booting Windows 8 and 9?: Hi I'm planning to create a new 120 Gigabyte partition on the internal hard drive that doesn't have Windows 8 on it and then installing Windows 9 in it. I've done this several times in the past, with XP and 7, then 7 and 8, but not since the change to the UEFI bios....
  10. Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8: How to: Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 [img] Information Windows 10 is here. This tutorial will show you step by step on how to dual-boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8....