Windows 10: Dual Boot. Best Workflow with Win10 and Ubuntu on one SSD? Reinstall, partitioning and...

Discus and support Dual Boot. Best Workflow with Win10 and Ubuntu on one SSD? Reinstall, partitioning and... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello,i used a couple of month now Win10 Home and Ubuntu 20.04 with dual boot on one ssd partitioned 250gb each. Every Time i started my Notebook Grub... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x_BlackHoleSun_x, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Dual Boot. Best Workflow with Win10 and Ubuntu on one SSD? Reinstall, partitioning and...

Hello,i used a couple of month now Win10 Home and Ubuntu 20.04 with dual boot on one ssd partitioned 250gb each. Every Time i started my Notebook Grub Manager asked me what OS to start. Despite some Win10 Clock Issues - i had to sync the Win10 time on every startup - it worked well. Now i had to reinstall a clean Win10 Version on my Notebook and delete the old one. So i took my bootable Win10 Install USB-Stick and started my notebook. In the Win Install window i formatted my old Win10 partition and it appears that it worked. Afterwards i wanted to install win10 on the exact same partition

:)

x_BlackHoleSun_x, Aug 21, 2021

2. Setup dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Win10

I've installed Kubuntu on my SSD. I can live boot the USB and see it installed there. However, No matter what I've tried I have not been able to boot the program from my SSD. There is a EFI partition. There is a ubuntu selection available in the boot menu.
    Selecting it has no effect. The efibootmgr has ubuntu listed as first (I would change this latter to 2nd) but nothing seems to matter. Won't boot ubuntu. I am convinced this is a Microsoft issue, not a linux shortfall. Prove me wrong!

MichaelCrovella, Aug 21, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Help with dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu

This is your whole problem. What you should have done is to put GRUB in sdb1 and Windows Manager in sda1 so that Windows Boot Manager is in control.
    So what suggested above will not make any difference. GRUB is still in control of booting process.
    To fix your problem. You will need to:
    1. Move GRUB from sdb to sdb1
      |grub2 - how to move grub boot from one partition to another in linux - Ask Ubuntu
    2. Rebuild The Windows Boot Manager ie. create a brand new BCD to boot Windows 10.
    3. Once done with steps 1 and 2 above. Windows will not know UBUNTU exists and vice versa.
      Depend on the priority set in the BIOS, it will boot directly into that OS.
      However, you can boot either one from Boot Menu (Using whatever key that your Laptop assigned to: F2, F10....)
      Since I hate Dual Boot and seldom boot into Linux, I will stop here.
      Now, go to step 4 to create dual boot.
    4. Use Easy BCD to create an entry for dual boot with UBUNTU. Once done, you should get a nice GUI dual Boot Menu
      and it will boot directly into either Windows or UBUNTU.

Here's the detailed explanation: How can I move windows 10 boot files to another drive to allow linux

topgundcp, Aug 21, 2021
  4. knp12345 Win User

Dual Boot. Best Workflow with Win10 and Ubuntu on one SSD? Reinstall, partitioning and...

Dual Partition 'Lost' - win10 and Ubuntu 16.04

I had a dual boot on my DELL Latitude E550 (or something similar), running Ubuntu 16.04 as default and win10 as secondary. Upon bootup I could choose which partition to load.

I prefer Linux. But there are a couple applications that are built for windows and work better on there. Hence why I still use win10.

About a half year ago I ran into startup issues, computer crashed, and when it started up again I couldn't access my Ubuntu partition. Win10 did not re-install.

Any ideas how I can recover that partition? I haven't even tried enterin BIOS yet and playing around with bootup options. I'll do that ASAP.

Thanks!

knp12345, Aug 21, 2021
Thema:

Dual Boot. Best Workflow with Win10 and Ubuntu on one SSD? Reinstall, partitioning and...

1. Dual Boot. Best Workflow with Win10 and Ubuntu on one SSD? Reinstall, partitioning and... - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Best

2. Dual Boot Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  3. Dual boot Ubuntu

Dual boot Ubuntu: I tried 'Ubuntu' for a while. Later got the drive deleted. [ATTACH] But the Ubuntu Boot Manager is there in the BIOS ? How can I remove that? Dr Abdul Rasheed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-ubuntu/8d273b76-c1f2-4f23-9ba6-28a4c96b9141
  4. merging partitions after dual boot ubuntu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    merging partitions after dual boot ubuntu: after dual booting win and linıx icant merge two partittions and after this disclaimer it gives this error [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/merging-partitions-after-dual-boot-ubuntu/fd74f858-cb1f-418e-8ad3-b865fa8a4f22
  5. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  6. Setup dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Win10

Setup dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Win10: I've installed Kubuntu on my SSD. I can live boot the USB and see it installed there. However, No matter what I've tried I have not been able to boot the program from my SSD. There is a EFI partition. There is a ubuntu selection available in the boot menu. Selecting it has no...
  7. Dual Partition 'Lost' - win10 and Ubuntu 16.04

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dual Partition 'Lost' - win10 and Ubuntu 16.04: I had a dual boot on my DELL Latitude E550 (or something similar), running Ubuntu 16.04 as default and win10 as secondary. Upon bootup I could choose which partition to load. I prefer Linux. But there are a couple applications that are built for windows and work better on...
  8. What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?

What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?: This is my first time here so if I need to elaborate on anything or provide more information I'll be happy to. I'm trying to set up a dual boot environment on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I've done this one other systems in the past enough to where it had become pretty...
  9. Ubuntu Dual Boot

Ubuntu Dual Boot: I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows...
  10. Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.

Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.: I was running Win7 and Ubuntu. Win7 suddenly refused to boot, so I deleted the partition with plans to uninstall. Win7 didn't like the drive anymore (couldn't create or find system partition). I tried various attempts with diskpart to repair the bootsector and MBR, to no...