Windows 10: Dual boot BIOS settings changed by windows update

Discus and support Dual boot BIOS settings changed by windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a very annoying situation: I am runnig my laptop (Acer Aspire E 15) as a dual boot with Ubuntu (Linux) and Windows 10. To do this I had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HarroSmit, Sep 26, 2018.

1. HarroSmit Win User

Dual boot BIOS settings changed by windows update

I have a very annoying situation: I am runnig my laptop (Acer Aspire E 15) as a dual boot with Ubuntu (Linux) and Windows 10. To do this I had to change the BIOS settings:

1. Enable the BIOS bootmenu "F12"

2. Adress a safe boot option (in my case the Ubuntu partition) and give it a name.

So far so good. Everyting worked. Until I installed a major Update from Windows Update... Suddenly Laptop didn't respond to the F12 button anymore during boot, but went straight away to booting Windows.

Back to my (password protected!!) BIOS. I was flabbergasted to see that the Update of WIndows changed my BIOS settings back to the original settings!!

Of course I immediatly changed the settings back to my preferred settings and everything works fine again.

But... How the f*** is it possible that Windows Update changes my BIOS settings? How can I prevent this annoying behaviour of Windows? Microsoft seems to act as if their OS is the only one there is. But every now and then I really need Linux!

:)

HarroSmit, Sep 26, 2018

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 26, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Sep 26, 2018
  4. Dual boot BIOS settings changed by windows update

Instructions to change board?

Boot off of the windows CD, repair your XP partition (hopefully you won't have to reinstall windows), install drivers, and you're good to go. You'll see dual channel mode in the BIOS splash screen results from POST. It'll be pretty obvious *Stick Out Tongue Dual boot BIOS settings changed by windows update :p. Here's a list of general tweaks for the 939Dual-SATA2.
    Step one- Set time, date
    Step two- In CPU settings, disable cool n quiet, set memory clock to DDR400, play with memory timings (CAS-TRAS-TRP-TRCD), which are listed in the bios in the order CAS, TRCD, TRAS, and TRP. EDIT- new BIOS's mess around with this order, can't be too sure on it, but yeah at least you know what the RAM timings stand for *Big Grin Dual boot BIOS settings changed by windows update :D.
    Leave MA timing at 2T unless you think your system can handle 1T
    Step three- in Chipset settings, enable onboard LAN, disable onboard Audio, disable AGP fast write, set primary graphics adapter, and set CPU-NB and NB-SB link speed to 1000mhz.
    Step four- in IDE, disable controllers you aren't using. On all drives detected, enable SMART if you can and set PIO/DMA as high as they will go.
    Step five- Enable legacy USB support
    Step six- Set password if you're worried about anyone screwing around with your BIOS settings
    Step seven- Configure your boot sequence. I reccomend hard drive first, optical drive second, and floppy drive third.
    Step eight- Save changes, boot into XP, and enjoy your computer.

zekrahminator, Sep 26, 2018
Thema:

Dual boot BIOS settings changed by windows update

1. Dual boot BIOS settings changed by windows update - Similar Threads - Dual boot BIOS

2. About Boot bios setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    About Boot bios setting: Hello I had a problem with my bios setting… First it was showing reboot and select proper boot device then i changed my boot priorities…but it didn't work…so i changed it to default setting…but this time I accidentally changed my ‘launch video opRom policy' to do not...
  3. About Boot bios setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About Boot bios setting: Hello I had a problem with my bios setting… First it was showing reboot and select proper boot device then i changed my boot priorities…but it didn't work…so i changed it to default setting…but this time I accidentally changed my ‘launch video opRom policy' to do not...
  4. About Boot bios setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will BIOS update mess up my windows dual boot with linux?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will BIOS update mess up my windows dual boot with linux?: I have a lenovo idepad3 BIOS 5 update and instruction number 5 is "Please load default in BIOS setup menu before executing this program." I'm worried that this might mess up my dual boot. What should i do?...
  6. Windows 10 update changed my boot drive in the bios

Windows 10 update changed my boot drive in the bios: Last night 11/11/2020 I selected update and shut down for windows update KB4586781. When I came out this morning, my computer was still on, and was asking me to install Windows 8 and it was a continuous loop. I had to go into the bios and reselect the proper boot drive. My...
  7. Windows 10 dual boot recovery bricking BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 dual boot recovery bricking BIOS: I have Windows 10 dual booted with Ubuntu on an SSD, but I recently wanted more storage space so I cloned the partitions onto another disk with Clonezilla. After installing the new disk, Ubuntu works fine but when I try to boot Windows it blue screens with an error "Boot...
  8. Dual boot settings needed

Dual boot settings needed: I can not find this one and would appreciate a lot same of your help. I have two OSs, Windows 10 x32 (needed for some software) or OS1 and Windows x64 or OS2 on separate hard drives. What is the problem? If I boot and load Windows 10 x32 and make shutdown, after I start...
  9. BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings?: I have a laptop with BitLocker enabled with TPM with PIN protection. If an attacker steals my laptop, would they be able to access my sensitive files from the Internal hard drive if I do not set a BIOS Password to prevent the attacker from changing the BIOS settings? 139592
  10. Setting up dual boot with Windows 10

Setting up dual boot with Windows 10: I have a new SSD with 500gb with Windows 7 installed on it. I have an old SSD with 128GB, empty. I want to move the content of the bigger SSD to the smaller one (there's enough space) while maintaining the installation of Windows 7, and install an additional operating...