Windows 10: Dual boot can I rename my drives?

Discus and support Dual boot can I rename my drives? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a dual boot set up windows 10/7 win, 7 is installed on a separate internal drive call virtual on my d drive can I rename it to win 7 without any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rangsmith, Jan 24, 2021.

1. rangsmith Win User

Dual boot can I rename my drives?

I have a dual boot set up windows 10/7 win, 7 is installed on a separate internal drive call virtual on my d drive can I rename it to win 7 without any boot up problems.
    Regards.

:)

rangsmith, Jan 24, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Jan 24, 2021
  3. Dual Booting

Please follow the steps in the tutorial for how to post the screenshot. I cannot even see Disk 0, 1 and 2 on the drive map, and the columns were not spread so i can see the labels in the listings above even though it lllustates how to do this.

As long as you don't have a UEFI install then you can move the boot loader to Windows 10 so that it manages the Dual Boot using it's menu, add the Dual Boot back from there. These same steps using EasyBCD should do it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/209885-boo...

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jan 24, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

1. Dual boot can I rename my drives? - Similar Threads - Dual boot rename

2. Dual boot can I rename my drives?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual boot can I rename my drives?: I have a dual boot set up windows 10/7 win, 7 is installed on a separate internal drive call virtual on my d drive can I rename it to win 7 without any boot up problems. Regards. 172921
  3. Dual boot computer, only windows10 can write on a drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot computer, only windows10 can write on a drive: I'm using windows and linux on my pc, however only windows can write on a specific drive. How do I change it so that linux can freely write on that drive too and edit existing files? submitted by /u/arkindal [link] [comments]...
  4. Can I clone my Windows 7 drive, update to Win10, dual boot & use both?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I clone my Windows 7 drive, update to Win10, dual boot & use both?: hi, I was prompted a while ago to update to Windows 10, but haven't had a reason to until recently, there's a game (Killer Instinct) which is Windows 10 only so I decided now's the time. When I was prompted for the update originally, I followed a guide on this forum...
  5. how can I dual boot win10 with win7

how can I dual boot win10 with win7: simply, will have legal activated copies of each on the same PC in different drives. Right now, I have win 10, but I will have win7 on another drive. 97664
  6. Can I Dual Boot After The Fact?

Can I Dual Boot After The Fact?: If anyone thinks they are important, here are the specs for my machine. Skip them if you want. I have never purchased a computer built by someone else. They always seemed to be clunky and they put in what they want to sell you. I just like my builds much better than someone...
  7. Dual booting on seperate hard drives?

Dual booting on seperate hard drives?: Not sure where this was supposed to go sorry in advance, I want to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10 on 2 seperate hard drives is it possible? 16808
  8. Dual Boot Last Drive Mounted

Dual Boot Last Drive Mounted: Since I can not run Feedback Hub, I do not know why, I need to write it here hoping that some could help or it is Windows Bug. Before Fall Update, I had very satisfying Dual Boot situation like this: Disk 1 - Win 10 x32 Disk 2 - Win 10 x64 (have to have both of them)...
  9. Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?

Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?: Can I have both a GPT and MBR formatted drives on a dual boot system? I would like to retain my Win 7 installation as is with MBR formatted hard drive, and after the Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade, do a clean Win 10 install with GPT (UEFI) format. 8859
  10. Can I stop Win10 hijacking my dual boot options?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I stop Win10 hijacking my dual boot options?: Howdy... I thought I'd stopped Win10 interfering with my dual boot options (selecting Win10 or Win7) but last night showed that disabling Fast Startup isn't enough. Wishing to switch over, I used the “install updates and shut down” option, so I could defer the lengthy...