Windows 10: Dual boot: chkdsk errors & missing files when writing to shared slave

Discus and support Dual boot: chkdsk errors & missing files when writing to shared slave in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I am dual-booting between two physical drives: A host drive with Windows10 1803 (SSD/GPT), and a host drive with Windows10 1607 (HDD/MBR). The 1803... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by shortbit, Nov 13, 2018.

1. shortbit Win User

Dual boot: chkdsk errors & missing files when writing to shared slave

So I am dual-booting between two physical drives: A host drive with Windows10 1803 (SSD/GPT), and a host drive with Windows10 1607 (HDD/MBR). The 1803 is a fresh install via M$ Creation Tool, and the 1607 is my daily driver. I have a SSD/GPT slave shared among the two for data storage. I dual boot by only connecting the SATA0 cable to the host drive I intend to boot from (I never have both connected to the system at once).

Here's what's going on: When I boot from one Windows10, write/delete files to the slave, then boot up using the other Windows10, some or all the files I just copied are missing. This only happens when accessing the drive from the other OS, if I reboot using the same OS after writing to the slave, everything is there.

All drives pass SMART, show no error values/counts in the SMART data, benchmark as expected, and otherwise exhibit no problems.

Other details:
    • System host drives never have problems with data or corruption, problem seems isolated to a shared slave. It does not seem to matter which drive I use as the slave, and at least once I observed it occur on my external WD Passport (usb3, mbr) when using it as shared storage for the dual boot.
    • Wiping/reformatting the slave does not solve the problem.
    • Sometimes when files do show up, some will prompt me for Admin privileges when accessing. If I look at the permissions, they have no owner (says something similar to owner cannot be determined).
    • Chkdsk will usually find filesystem errors, typically being index errors (missing/unused/mismatched etc), but I've also seen security descriptor errors, index pointers to files beyond mft, bitmap errors, and free space marked allocated.
    • At one point, I modified a text file's content, and upon booting into the other Windows, only the old file contents were visible as if I had done nothing.
    • If I do not allow chkdsk to make fixes and I reboot with a WinPE thumbdrive, the missing files in question are clearly visible and readable. I can also copy anything I want to the slave using WinPE and the files show up just fine in the other OS's
    I haven't had much luck googling, as most results pertain to people who hibernate between dual boots or don't shut down properly. It really does feel like that tho, except I do not hibernate and always shut down through Windows before dual booting. Event manager shows no log of unexpected power loss either.

I've just tried disabling search indexing & fast boot from both Windows versions, and for the past couple of dual boots I haven't seen it happen again... Don't know yet if that fixed it or if this is just by chance.

Any ideas?

:)

shortbit, Nov 13, 2018
  2. Homeless Win User

0xc0000225 boot error

For some odd reason when I turned on my computer today, I was greeted with the error 0xc0000225 stating that my NLS files were corrupt/missing. I am Running Vista x64 and so far have tried the following:

Replace NLS files
    Windows repair utility
    Restored an old working registry backup
    Tried booting with different ram configurations
    Created new BCD / Boot
    Chkdsk

Google suggests something about apci, but my gigabyte ud3p doesn't have such an option (already vista compatible) and it seems to only occur to people who are initially installing and not people who already have a working copy.

Homeless, Nov 13, 2018
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Nov 13, 2018
  4. Solaris17 Win User

Dual Boot?

I can help here iv had both i used partition magic to split my HDD and i installed vista on one and xp was already on the other only problem is id watch out if i were you for some reason vista does not like to dual boot iv seen this on a couple of my machines and my buddys. so step one have xp installed step 2 find a partitioner of your choice i dont know of any except partition magic and the one included on xp...only thing is i dont think the one on xp will even partition them...then pop in your vista DVD and select the drive of your choice....the only thing i can think of that causes vista to hate dual booting sooo much is that when their are 2 OS's installed xp uses its own prog to list them on boot well vista uses a totally diff boot loader than the previous os's and i think they conflict the problems i hade were the standard missing windows folder missing HAL.dll and the nt one dont remember the name.....that and after your done vista and boot into xp things didnt like to start correctly specially if you scan disk with vista.

Solaris17, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual boot: chkdsk errors & missing files when writing to shared slave - Similar Threads - Dual boot chkdsk

2. Windows MBR boot record is missing [Dual Boot]

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows MBR boot record is missing [Dual Boot]: I have dual boot with Manjaro, and my Manjaro partition can't find the boot record for Windows. That is because the /boot/EFI/Microsoft does not exist. However, my BIOS does find both installations Windows and Manjaro and succeeds in booting into them. My disk partitionsHow...
  3. Slave HDD´s Windows Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slave HDD´s Windows Files: Good Evening My question is: Can I delete the "Windows" file and all the micrososft related files common files, appdata files, etc from slave HDD´s without causing any instablity? A whille ago I replaced my computer and the old HDD´s that I had are being used as slave...
  4. Dual boot computer, only windows10 can write on a drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot computer, only windows10 can write on a drive: I'm using windows and linux on my pc, however only windows can write on a specific drive. How do I change it so that linux can freely write on that drive too and edit existing files? submitted by /u/arkindal [link] [comments]...
  5. Dual boot: chkdsk errors & missing files when writing to shared slave

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual boot: chkdsk errors & missing files when writing to shared slave: So I am dual-booting between two physical drives: A host drive with Windows10 1803 (SSD/GPT), and a host drive with Windows10 1607 (HDD/MBR). The 1803 is a fresh install via M$ Creation Tool, and the 1607 is my daily driver. I have a SSD/GPT slave shared among the two for...
  6. Dual Boot Missing Files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Boot Missing Files: I have a dual boot system (WIndows 10 and Hyper-V 2016) I use the Hyper-V for development in a virtual environment and Window 10 for gaming. Each of the operating systems are on separate hard drives. I also have two RAID 10 arrays that I use for storing virtual machines...
  7. Hard disk file missing CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk file missing CHKDSK: Hello all, I am unable to access my data. the folder shows 0 Kb. I am also unable to access the FOUND.000, it shows access denied inspite of providing full control. Following log snapshot for reference. Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot....
  8. Error writing to file when installing software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error writing to file when installing software: I am trying to install Macrium reflect. It gets part way through the install process before an error dialog pops up Installer Information Error writing to file: C:\Program Files\Macrium|Reflect\Reflect.exe I have tried running the installer as Administrator I have...
  9. Dual Boot Option Missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Option Missing: It was there - options for booting into Win7 or Technical Preview. The 'time to display....' is set at 30 seconds but only Win7 is showing. Any thoughts appreciated - regards. 3716
  10. Windows 10 Dual Boot UEFI Missing or Shared Partitions on SSD2?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Dual Boot UEFI Missing or Shared Partitions on SSD2?: Dual Boot W10 + W8.1 installs using 2 SSDs. Any thoughts on why there are less partitions on SSD install #2? SSD 1 W10 (installed first) C Drive: - Recovery - System - Reserved - Primary SSD 2 W8.1 (installed last) - Reserved - Primary Am I right in saying...