Windows 10: Dual Boot Computer Not Working After Windows May Update

Discus and support Dual Boot Computer Not Working After Windows May Update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My dual boot (Win 10 and Linux) computer stopped working during the Windows Update to the May update. Apparently, GRUB stopped working and now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BillMurrin, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Dual Boot Computer Not Working After Windows May Update

My dual boot (Win 10 and Linux) computer stopped working during the Windows Update to the May update.

Apparently, GRUB stopped working and now Windows won't boot at all. I can still boot into Linux. The hard drive appears to have all of the files, but it must have a bad MBR; just my guess.

I've tried "Bootrec /RebuildBcd" from the command prompt and several similar commands, and all the options in my recovery drive, but it still won't try to boot to Windows.

To make things worse, my old computer developed a hardware problem when I was trying to get it to boot; probably just too many quick power cycles. So I have a new computer that I'm trying to get my old hard drive to work in.

I would really like to not have to reload Windows, cost, and lose my installed programs that are on the drive. Although I should have an older system image that I should be able to load onto the hard drive.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

:)

BillMurrin, Sep 14, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 25, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Sep 25, 2019
  4. Dual Boot Computer Not Working After Windows May Update

Performing Dual boot on the computer (Windows 10 and windows xp).

Hi Vaibhav,

You will not face any system performance issues on performing dual boot by loading older Windows version first (Windows XP) and then the latest Windows version (Windows 10) on the computer.

To perform dual boot on the computer, you first have to create partitions to load both the OS onto the drives. Create disk partition by following the steps below and perform dual boot on the computer.

• Press Windows logo + R keys on the keyboard to open
      Run command, type diskmgmt.msc and press
      Enter.

• Right click on OS(CDual Boot Computer Not Working After Windows May Update :) hard drive and select
      Shrink Volume.

• Allocate the disk space in MB and click on
      Shrink. An Unallocated drive will be created.

• Right click on the Unallocated drive and select
      New Simple Volume option. Follow the onscreen instructions and provide a drive name/letter in the process.

• Perform dual boot and check if the issue is resolved on the computer.

Write to us with the status of performing dual boot on the computer in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

Dual Boot Computer Not Working After Windows May Update

1. Dual Boot Computer Not Working After Windows May Update - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Computer

2. computer stopped booting Windows after update may have failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer stopped booting Windows after update may have failed: I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 11 but I have been spending more time in Windows 11 lately... until now. It seems that an update may have been installing in the background while I was doing other things Saturday night and I got a blue screen, then it rebooted itself and went...
  3. computer stopped booting Windows after update may have failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer stopped booting Windows after update may have failed: I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 11 but I have been spending more time in Windows 11 lately... until now. It seems that an update may have been installing in the background while I was doing other things Saturday night and I got a blue screen, then it rebooted itself and went...
  4. Dual Boot problem after September update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot problem after September update: I have dual-boot Windows 10 on a Desktop i7 PC. I've been using it for ~3 years. When the September updates came out, I installed them on my primary system with no problem. Later yesterday I installed them on my secondary system. The installation went fine with no problems,...
  5. Updating to windows 11 after a dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updating to windows 11 after a dual boot: I have dual-booted my system which has windows 10 with ubuntu. I want to update to windows 11 as I can see It in my updates. The question that I have is if I update it to windows 11, will it cause problems with my dual-booted ubuntu? will ubuntu get the path of windows 11 and...
  6. Updating to windows 11 after a dual boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updating to windows 11 after a dual boot: I have dual-booted my system which has windows 10 with ubuntu. I want to update to windows 11 as I can see It in my updates. The question that I have is if I update it to windows 11, will it cause problems with my dual-booted ubuntu? will ubuntu get the path of windows 11 and...
  7. Ethernet doesn't work after dual-booting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet doesn't work after dual-booting: Recently, I dual-booted W10 and Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon both 64-bit. After dual-booting, ethernet works only on LM, while on W10 it says that it's not connected. I saw a few topics with a similar problem but all of them had no connection on LM, not W10. Feel free to ask for...
  8. Headphone audio not working after dual booting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphone audio not working after dual booting: Hi I recently dual booted into Linux Mint from Windows and everything went well. Unfortunately, after I booted back into Windows, the audio from my headphones doesn't seem to be working. I tried troubleshooting, re-installing realtek hd audio drivers, but nothing worked. The...
  9. Windows not working after dual boot

Windows not working after dual boot: I have Dell Inspiron 5570, i5 8th gen, 2 TB Hard drive, 16GB intel optane and 8 GB RAM. I tried dual boot my PC with ubuntu 16.04, but I was not getting any drive details. So I used terminal in live ubuntu environment with following command: sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda After...
  10. Windows 10 May update(1903) Dual Boot up issue

Windows 10 May update(1903) Dual Boot up issue: I am trying an In place upgrade from the windows 10 1803 version to the latest May update (1903) using the ISO file After the successful installation of the update, On the machine boot up it came up with the Dual boot screen, Both Os was windows 10, One of the them was my...