Windows 10: Dual boot, exist win10 + win7 from image on different drives

Discus and support Dual boot, exist win10 + win7 from image on different drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have win10 installed and running and I’d like to create a dual boot by restoring an image that I made of my old win7 system immediately before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SoFine409, Mar 14, 2017.

1. SoFine409 Win User

Dual boot, exist win10 + win7 from image on different drives

I have win10 installed and running and I’d like to create a dual boot by restoring an image that I made of my old win7 system immediately before upgrade to win10 and then doing a clean install on a new SSD. I realize that I will need to buy a win7 key and I plan to use an OEM version that I will purchase from MicroCenter but before I do I’d like to know if I understand the process correctly.

1. Disconnect the SSD where win10 is installed and then restore the image of win 7 to the m2 SSD where it was originally installed, but do not boot from it yet. This now has H as a drive letter.

2. Reconnect the win10 SSD and let it boot up and then open a commend prompt (admin) and enter:

3. Bcdboot H:\Windows /d/addlast

4. Adjust the timeout with msconfig.

5. Update the license for the win7 using the new OEM key.

Do I have it right?

:)

SoFine409, Mar 14, 2017

2. Is it safe to increase the size of my System Reserved partition in a Win7/Win10 dual boot?

I have Windows 7 and Windows 10 in a dual-boot state (Win10 installed after Win7, both on different drives); but my Win7 installation does not create a separate
    System Reserved partition. I assume that all Win10 files which are stored in a
    System Reserved partition are stored in the System Reserved partition created by Win7...

...But there is one problem: As a stand-alone OS, Win10 creates a 500MB
    System Reserved partition, and my Win7 System Reserved partition is only 100MB, and my dual-boot Win10 installation is using or sharing the Win7
    System Reserved partition, since it was created first.

Here's the dual-boot screen:

Dual boot, exist win10 + win7 from image on different drives [​IMG]

Here's the dual-boot setup in Win10:

And here is the dual-boot setup in Win7:

Given a test run, I discovered that, with Win7 and Win10 on your machine, you can't have 2 separate
    System Reserved partitions (one on the Win7 drive and one on the Win10 drive), because upon boot of one OS or the other, errors, blue screens and the need to repeatedly check the disks for consistency have the potential to corrupt either one OS or
    both.

Since my assumption is that the Win7/Win10 dual-boot setup shares the same
    System Reserved
    partition, is it safe to increase the size of this partition to 600MB (100MB for Win7 + 500MB for Win10), especially with the possibility that Win10 may dump enough files into this partition to completely fill or overwhelm the original
    100MB that was created with the Win7 installation? I have Acronis Disk Director 12, which can resize any volume, before or after the OS partition.

CookyMonzta, Mar 14, 2017
  3. linmaxyc Win User
    ual boot system upgrade to windows 10

Thanks Jessen for the hint. I was expecting a yes or no answer, since I already have a dual boot system(xp+win7), and if I upgrade win10 from win7 boot, would win7 be replaced by win10 and becomes a (xp+win10) dual boot system?

But it looks more complicated than I thought, should I check current system has xp and win7 are installed in DIFFERENT partitions, otherwise xp would be gone after win7 is upgraded to win10 if xp and win7 are in SAME partition?

linmaxyc, Mar 14, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

There is no need to disconnect the primary (first) SSD, and you only need to restore the OS partition only to the second SSD. You don't need any of the other partitions that might have been imaged.

NavyLCDR, Mar 14, 2017
  5. SoFine409 Win User
    TY NavyLCDR. I was wondering about the strategy of restoring only the Win7 OS partition. Now I know.
    Bob

SoFine409, Mar 14, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Unless you are going to physically boot that drive from UEFI, all you need is the OS partition. In your configuration the computer will boot from the first SSD and load a boot menu that will load the OS partition you pick.

NavyLCDR, Mar 14, 2017
  7. SoFine409 Win User
    Worked perfectly and saved me a little bit of disk space. I also used your previous tip of bcdboot %windir% to get a graphical menu.*Thumbs

SoFine409, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual boot, exist win10 + win7 from image on different drives - Similar Threads - Dual boot exist

2. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop: This is probably an unfair question to ask in this forum. But given the depth of expertise, someone might have advice to offer! I have recently done successful clean installs and activations of Win 10 with the help of Shawn Brink's tutorials and advice from other forum...
  3. Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?: Hi all, I have two seperate SSDs and I would like to install two seperate win10 for dual boot. I do not want to parition part of one hard drive and have both windows on one ssd. Ive tried searching but can only find articles on dual boot seperate ssd with Windows and linux....
  4. Dual Boot Win7 and Win10: Both existent on current machine

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Boot Win7 and Win10: Both existent on current machine: Hello Folks. I am sure this has been asked before but I can't find an answer despite having spent ages trawling the threads. Feel free to point me to an earlier answer if appropriate. So here goes: I have two nvme drives on my machine. One has an up to date Win10Pro 1909 -...
  5. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  6. Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?: Here's the situation. I have a 17" laptop with two Win 7 drives set up with dual boot. One is a 128gb SSD with all my work software. (AutoCad, Rhino, etc) The other is a new 256 SSD with only the Win7 OS installed. Both use the same laptop Product key. I would like to...
  7. Changing dual boot Win7 & Win10 from SATA to SSD drive

Changing dual boot Win7 & Win10 from SATA to SSD drive: On one of my desktop computers running Windows 10 Pro, I added a SSD drive. Then, I cloned the OS partition on to the SSD drive, which ran perfectly. But on another desktop, I dual boot Windows 7 Home and Windows 10 Home on an older SATA hard drive. And I've now added a...
  8. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  9. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010