Windows 10: Dual boot gone wrong. Need advice to install Windows to sata ssd properly.

Discus and support Dual boot gone wrong. Need advice to install Windows to sata ssd properly. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm looking for a way to install windows 10 to a sata ssd from a usb with windows 10 media creation tool, but I keep running into issues. When I remove... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/throwawaybeastboy, May 22, 2020.

1. Dual boot gone wrong. Need advice to install Windows to sata ssd properly.

I'm looking for a way to install windows 10 to a sata ssd from a usb with windows 10 media creation tool, but I keep running into issues. When I remove my fedora m.2 ssd and try to install windows to the sata, https://imgur.com/a/DaAqA35, "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files." If I try to tweak the BIOS for a different outcome using the same boot order, https://imgur.com/BYSFZyV, "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." Even when I press the format option on that screen, nothing changes.

But when my fedora drive is connected to the machine, https://imgur.com/a/KEC5ieR, it allows me to install to the sata drive, but after it's finished installing it brings me back to the original install windows screen, when it's supposed to reboot and go straight into a windows account manager.

After trying to install windows to the sata drive the first time (with my fedora m.2 drive still connected), the windows installer installed to my fedora drive, but didn't wipe the drive (I still have my fedora account working perfectly normal if I change my UEFI HDD BBS Priorities in BIOS to boot to fedora and not the windows boot manager, https://imgur.com/yRLWSgE).

lsblk: https://imgur.com/a/Di4gshI

ebibootmgr and -v: https://imgur.com/HEtnnvP

I don't know where to go from here. I don't know how to remove the windows boot manager from my fedora drive. And I don't know how to install windows to my sata drive. I need adivce.

submitted by /u/throwawaybeastboy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/throwawaybeastboy, May 22, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 22, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

Hi Vjblr

Boot your laptop into BIOS (F2 key on the Dell logo)

Click Restore Defaults

Check that SATA Mode is set to AHCI

Then save that and restart your laptop and see if that drive boots . . .

If not, the clone process has not gone well and you may have to do that again, or perform a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD.

Honestly, to get the best possible performance form that new SSD a clean install of Windows is much preferred, I know it is more work transferring your files over and re-installing 3rd party applications, but it is well worth the effort . . .

DaveM121, May 22, 2020
  4. Dual boot gone wrong. Need advice to install Windows to sata ssd properly.

dual boot on m.2 ssd

i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with

core i5 6th gen

8 gb ddr4 ram

1 TB hdd 5400rpm.

currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions.

i am going to install a

860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD
    on this laptop and want to use this ssd as windows partition.

i want to install dual os both windows 7 and windows 10 on this ssd.

want to know is it possible? experts gives opinion and also microsoft.

thanks in advance.

MD ABIDALI, May 22, 2020
Thema:

Dual boot gone wrong. Need advice to install Windows to sata ssd properly.

1. Dual boot gone wrong. Need advice to install Windows to sata ssd properly. - Similar Threads - Dual boot gone

2. Advice on BIOS settings for Windows 11; need to boot from SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advice on BIOS settings for Windows 11; need to boot from SSD: Hiya!The drives on my machine an older Alienware are fairly typical:C internal SSD, the only bootable oneD internal HDE CDR for legacy dataL-to-T partitions on a pair of external drives, nothing bootableFor some reason my machine started giving me these boot errors after...
  3. Advice on BIOS settings for Windows 11; need to boot from SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advice on BIOS settings for Windows 11; need to boot from SSD: Hiya!The drives on my machine an older Alienware are fairly typical:C internal SSD, the only bootable oneD internal HDE CDR for legacy dataL-to-T partitions on a pair of external drives, nothing bootableFor some reason my machine started giving me these boot errors after...
  4. ssd sata wont boot with windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd sata wont boot with windows: im using windows 10 yesterday i acquired a new ssd m2 i installed it but after boot the windows wont boot, after checking bios i can see all my storage disks two m2 ssd, one hdd but i cant see the sata ssd with windows on and my pc wont boot, it says bootable device not...
  5. ssd sata wont boot with windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd sata wont boot with windows: im using windows 10 yesterday i acquired a new ssd m2 i installed it but after boot the windows wont boot, after checking bios i can see all my storage disks two m2 ssd, one hdd but i cant see the sata ssd with windows on and my pc wont boot, it says bootable device not...
  6. ssd sata wont boot with windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Dual boot with Ubuntu gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu gone: Suddenly my grub is gone and when I boot my device goes directly to the Windows 10. Can I remove Ubuntu through Windows without concerns or should I need to be careful because grub is still around and probably will brick my PC? Thanks! submitted by /u/Johan144 [link]...
  8. Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...: I just installed a new SSD (Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe M.2 1TB). The install went well, but I left some files behind on the old drive (An OCZ Trion 120gb SSD). Anyway, I though there would be a problem if I plugged the old drive back in and booted up into windows without hitting...
  9. Changing dual boot Win7 & Win10 from SATA to SSD drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing dual boot Win7 & Win10 from SATA to SSD drive: On one of my desktop computers running Windows 10 Pro, I added a SSD drive. Then, I cloned the OS partition on to the SSD drive, which ran perfectly. But on another desktop, I dual boot Windows 7 Home and Windows 10 Home on an older SATA hard drive. And I've now added a...
  10. Need help to PROPERLY install dual boot: Windows 10 & Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help to PROPERLY install dual boot: Windows 10 & Windows 10: @essenbe and @strick: Perhaps you might remember that you helped me do this once before. I want to keep my current Windows 10 (which is faulty) and do a clean install (as you previously advised). There was something to do with the boot manager that you helped me correct. When...