Windows 10: Dual-Boot Installation - 2 copies of Windows

Discus and support Dual-Boot Installation - 2 copies of Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am setting up the dual windows on my laptop. The laptop has 2 drives (ssd 256gb and hdd 1tb). I am wondering if someone can give some advice on how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nickeh1, Jul 27, 2019.

1. nickeh1 Win User

Dual-Boot Installation - 2 copies of Windows

I am setting up the dual windows on my laptop. The laptop has 2 drives (ssd 256gb and hdd 1tb).

I am wondering if someone can give some advice on how the dual-boot windows installation should be achieved.

The purpose of putting dual boot windows on this laptop is that we run a server at local events from time to time. We have noticed that if we use the laptop (one operating system) for both personal use and the server, the applications installed on Windows used for general use, interferes with the server.

To avoid this, we want to create a second installation of Windows which will have server data only and be used for this only (no personal use). The other copy of Windows (which already exists) will be used for general use.

I have some initial questions as listed below:

1. Would you agree the best way for us to do this would be dual-boot?

2. 1. Can I dual boot 2 x Windows 10’s?
    or does it need to be Windows 10 and another version of Windows such as Windows 7?
    Windows 10 already exists on the laptop from factory.

3. 2. The current Windows is installed on the SSD as it came factory loaded like this. I need the second installation of Windows (used for Server only) to also be installed on the SSD. This is because the server will need the power of the SSD to run efficiently. Would it be possible to split the SSD into 2 partitions? Could there be any complications around this?

4. 3. If I split the SSD and have 2 partitions on the SSD each with a Windows copy,
    Will I be able to access the 1tb HDD drive (also in the laptop) from both Windows copies from within Windows?

5. 4. Is dual-boot Windows difficult to achieve? How should I install the second copy?

Any advice would be really appreciated on how I can best achieve this.

Look forward to hearing from you.

:)

nickeh1, Jul 27, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 27, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Jul 27, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Jul 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Dual-Boot Installation - 2 copies of Windows - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Installation

2. Dual Boot: 2 different Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot: 2 different Windows 10: Hello everyone, I am having a little bit of trouble and hoping you guys can help me out. I want to set up a dual boot with two different versions of Windows 10. The first (and primary) would be the 2004 update with my primary C drive, the second would be a flash drive with...
  3. Windows installation for dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows installation for dual boot: Hello to everyone, I have UEFI based laptop HP Envy 17J015SR. I wanted to install Windows 7 and Windows 10 to my laptop in order to use advantages of both systems. I have both operating systems license and i have created installation drives for both sustems separately by...
  4. Windows boot screen installer Dual boot

Windows boot screen installer Dual boot: When I saw this I instantly force shut down and booted my mxlinux. All the files were safe of both windows and Linux. This problem occured after I ran a command that was supposed to fix the problem of me having different time in Linux and window on dual boot. The command:...
  5. 2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?

2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?: I have already checked that the process to upgrade my Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit laptop to the equivalent Win 10 runs smoothly keeping almost every application and all data perfect. The point is that I have a rather complex (for me) configuration in an HP system with two Win...
  6. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  7. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  8. Dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10

Dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10: Hi, Is it possible to dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10? I wanted to use one for daily use and one to test insider builds. Will there be any issues with activation if I run two different editions of Windows 10 on one PC. I have a full retail edition of Windows 7 Home...
  9. Dual Boot question #2

Dual Boot question #2: Hello, I have a dual boot laptop (Legacy BIOS), with W 10 Pro x64 (clean installation from Media Creation Tool dvd) and W7 x64 The disk management layout is the following: (from left to right): Basic MBR Hard Disk 0 1) Recovery OEM Sony partition 15 GB primary (hidden...
  10. 2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?

2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?: Hello everyone, Just want to ask if it's possible to have 2 x Windows 10, dual boot. Would that be possible, at all ? If yes, could i rename one of them, or both, the way i want ? For example, when i select the OS, it should appear something like " Windows 10 gaming "...