Windows 10: dual-boot Linux

Discus and support dual-boot Linux in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gregyurkon, Nov 17, 2015.

1. dual-boot Linux

I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is this a situation where I need to go to Lenovo for advice?

:)

gregyurkon, Nov 17, 2015

2. USB with linux plugged in causes BSOD on WIndows 10

Thats not the best way to dual boot Windows 10 and Linux. Linux should be installed a local drive or partition. Learn more:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/dual-boot-wind...

Andre Da Costa, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 17, 2015
  4. dual-boot Linux

Do you need direct hardware access? If not and you just want to run Linux, you can always virtualize it. It's much simpler than worrying about bootloaders.

DeaconFrost, Nov 17, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Use Macrium Reflect, Acronis or any other cloning application to make a full backup of your Windows system. Then you don't need the recovery partitions. You can just delete them and make room for Linux. Linux will install Grub to dual-boot, but you can also add a Linux entry in Windows Boot Loader using EasyBCD if you prefer.

spapakons, Nov 17, 2015
  6. Actually, I don't know whether I need direct hardware access. The main reason I'm contemplating Linux is to try to get Civilization: Call to Power to work again. I'll probably wait until I've either succeeded or failed to look into other things to use Linux for, assuming that I decide to go through with adding Linux.

The C partition has about 62GB occupied, and I don't have anything big enough to back that up on, although I did use Lenovo's OneKeyRecovery to backup Windows 10's original state (44GB). Anyway, the D partition (25GB) is the largest of the "extra" partitions, so, if the stuff Lenovo put there is not actually being used by anything, that's the most likely candidate for making a Linux partition, unless there's a reason not to.

gregyurkon, Nov 18, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    To play a game you will need the full power of your graphics card. The Virtual Machine cannot provide that, go for the dual-boot. If there are official Linux drivers from manufacturer for your graphics card, install them to get full acceleration, don't rely on third-party drivers.

spapakons, Nov 18, 2015
  8. dual-boot Linux

Considering how old the game is, just getting the game to run will be more of an issue than acceleration.*Huh Regardless of that I would prefer official Linux drivers whenever possible. I guess the next step will be to find out from Lenovo whether there are any other issues I need to be aware of.

gregyurkon, Nov 18, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    Don't expect Lenovo provide Linux drivers on their site, unless your model comes with Linux installed. Try directly at manufacturers (Intel etc). Use Aida64 in Windows to see exactly what devices you have so you know what to look for. In Linux you can use Hardware Info or other tools.

Can't you just find and install the Windows version of the game? It should be abandonware (programmers have no claims) by now and so legal to download and install it. No sure if it works in Windows 10 though, but you could try. Don't forget to install latest DirectX 9.0c runtime as old games look for DirectX 9 files not available in Windows Vista and later.

EDIT: As I thought, it is abandonware. Download the Windows version from here. Run the setup in Windows XP compatibility mode with administrator privileges to maximize chances to work in Windows 10. After the installation, right-click on the shortcut and set compatibility to Windows XP and check the box to Run as Administrator, just in case. I would select the option to apply the settings to all users, rather than current user to be extra sure.

spapakons, Nov 18, 2015
  10. Right now, the project is still in the initial investigation/looking-for-a-better-reason-than-playing-an-old-game phase.*Smile

gregyurkon, Nov 18, 2015
  11. For those of you who've been on the edges of your seats wondering (The Internet being what it is, there must be someone who fits that category.), I discovered that creating a VM is pretty easy nowadays, and I've set up a VM running Ubuntu.

gregyurkon, Dec 16, 2015
  12. I've been running Ubuntu for a while now in that setup. Easy to do and easy to manage.

DeaconFrost, Dec 16, 2015
  13. spapakons Win User

dual-boot Linux

In Windows 10 Pro 64-bit you can enable Hyper-V and create the virtual machine. In other versions you can use VMWare Player which is free. Not sure if it allow you to create a new virtual machine though. You may have to download the trial version of VMWare Workstation. There are other free applications such as Oracle's VirtualBox, but VMWare has the most features and a rather good 3D support, while others can be 2D only (usually compatible to very old S3 Trio cards). I would install the trial version of VMWare Workstation to create the virtual machine, and then use the free VMWare Player to run it without having to buy the full application. Creating an Ubuntu virtual machine in VMWare is very easy. You just browse to the ISO, the Ubuntu version is recognized automatically and the virtual machine is configured as appropriate. Of course you can manually adjust the size of RAM and virtual hard disk, but default settings should be OK. All you have to do is to install VMWare tools after Ubuntu setup is complete. This is the trickiest part as it involves using the Terminal. No sweat! Google it and you'll find step-by-step guide.

spapakons, Dec 16, 2015
  14. VMware which I downloaded a few days ago is the only one of those options I knew about. I think your info is a little outdated, unless I misunderstood you. VMware Workstation Player 12.0 is free and lets you create new VMs. I got it so that I could check new software for viruses, then I remembered about this thread, and I made a Ubuntu VM. I forgot to install VMware Tools in the Ubuntu one though. Thanks for reminding me.

gregyurkon, Dec 17, 2015
  15. spapakons Win User
    I just wasn't sure if you can create a virtual machine in VMWare player or you only run it.

spapakons, Dec 17, 2015
Thema:

dual-boot Linux

1. dual-boot Linux - Similar Threads - dual boot Linux

2. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dual-boot Windows and Linux: I have a new laptop with a 512 GB SSD. I want to secure-erase the SSD and install Windows and Linux in a dual-boot configuration. Doing the secure-erase is easy, as I can do it with a Linux LiveUSB. I already have a current Windows LiveUSB ready for installation. I did...
  3. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual-boot Windows and Linux: I have a new laptop with a 512 GB SSD. I want to secure-erase the SSD and install Windows and Linux in a dual-boot configuration. Doing the secure-erase is easy, as I can do it with a Linux LiveUSB. I already have a current Windows LiveUSB ready for installation. I did...
  4. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dual boot with Arch Linux

Dual boot with Arch Linux: I have windows 10 installed on a 1tb ssd booting in UEFI BIOS mode. I want to install arch linux on a seperate 120gb ssd. Ive previously installed arch a few times so i’m familar with its installation. However, i cannot seem to find any clear information on how to be able to...
  6. Dual boot Windows10 and Linux Mint

Dual boot Windows10 and Linux Mint: I am kinda stuck here.I installed windows10on an old dell desktop.Also decided to dualboot with Linux Mint so I could play around.Anyway,my grandson would like the computer so I deleted the linux partition.Now when I boot up or restart is shows GNU GRUB 2.4 and then a...
  7. Remove Linux Dual Boot issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove Linux Dual Boot issue: Hello, so I want to remove my linux dual boot and so I tried to follow this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWe9zlSmzjA The issue is when I get to do the bootrec /fixmbr command it comes up with "The system cannot find the file specified" My current dual boot...
  8. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  9. Uninstall Linux dual boot

Uninstall Linux dual boot: Hello everyone ! I first want to mention thant english is not my first language, so, sorry if I make mistakes and am not clear enough ! I just received a second hand computer with windows10 and linux installed on it. The person I got it to told me it would be easy to get...
  10. Dual boot Windows with Linux

Dual boot Windows with Linux: Is there a tutorial here (I didn't find, so maybe in another place there's a good tutorial?) on how to be able to install both Linux and Windows 10 on my laptop's hard drive? So that when I restart my laptop I will be able to choose from either Windows 10 or Linux? I did...