Windows 10: Dual Boot -- lost mouse/keyboard in win7 after 10 installation

Discus and support Dual Boot -- lost mouse/keyboard in win7 after 10 installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My setup: Intel i5 with 4Gb Ram with Nvidia GeForce GT 610 video card, 64Gb SSD (Win7), 330 Gb hdd (Win Vista), and 1Tb hdd. I've been running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PingJockey, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Dual Boot -- lost mouse/keyboard in win7 after 10 installation

My setup: Intel i5 with 4Gb Ram with Nvidia GeForce GT 610 video card, 64Gb SSD (Win7), 330 Gb hdd (Win Vista), and 1Tb hdd.
    I've been running Win7/Vista for several years now, and decided to upgrade to 10 as some of the new software I want won't run on those older OS's. Windows 7 on the SSD is for gaming only, with nothing else loaded onto it that is not gaming related, not even Acrobat. Everything else uses the 2 hard drives with the older 330 Gb hdd as bootable.

So I upgraded Vista to 7 SP1, and installed Win10. Everything went beautifully once I got SP1 on it. Worked for a few days then went to play a game, booted into 7 and no mouse or keyboard control. After I selected Win7 to boot into from the boot control screen, I had no control of anything. Had to hold the power key to shutdown.

I unplugged the power to the Win10 drive and re-booted. It gave me an error about a missing device and let me press F9 to boot into Win7, after which I had control of my mouse and keyboard. So now when I want to do some gaming I have to unplug my small Hdd and go about it that way, which seems totally insane and just plain wrong to do, but I can't think of anyway to fix this as it only shows up when the small drive is connected. If I do that and boot into 10 it doesn't see anything wrong with the drivers for the other OS, and when I boot into 7 I have no control to do anything at all to fix it <sigh>.

Whats a gamer to do?*Confused

Any help will be greatly appreciated by both myself and my grandchildren who drag me into these gaming sessions. *Biggrin

Thanks.

:)

PingJockey, Sep 17, 2015

2. Windows 7 not working in Windows 10 dual boot system and blue screen appears

Original Title: windows 7 and 10 dual booting

I recently tried to dual boot win7 and win10 to test out win10, i formatted and changed 1 hdd from mbr to gpt, i shrank a partition for win10 (50gb) and installed it without any hiccups, i booted up win10 no problems and the 1st couple of times switching
    to win7 was fine too, but after those 2 times when trying to boot win7my mouse and keyboard became unresponsive, i couldnt login or shutdown or restart without pressing it on my case. I tried disabling the xHCI in the bios, which worked for that 1 time booting
    win7. After that, the only way i could boot win7 and logon was if i disconnected my hdd with win10 on it. So i decided to cut my losses but without being able to logon win7 i used the win10 installation from the boot menu to reformat the hdd with win10 on
    it, now i get the blue screen with error code 0xc0000225 on it, the same as having my hdd with win10 on it disconnected. How can i get rid of this? Basically going back to how things were before the win10 install. I didnt backup any of my drives since they
    were all pretty much full, but the hdd that had win10 on it is completely empty and seperate from win7.

blackflash2099, Sep 17, 2015
  3. linmaxyc Win User
    ual boot system upgrade to windows 10

Thanks Jessen for the hint. I was expecting a yes or no answer, since I already have a dual boot system(xp+win7), and if I upgrade win10 from win7 boot, would win7 be replaced by win10 and becomes a (xp+win10) dual boot system?

But it looks more complicated than I thought, should I check current system has xp and win7 are installed in DIFFERENT partitions, otherwise xp would be gone after win7 is upgraded to win10 if xp and win7 are in SAME partition?

linmaxyc, Sep 17, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Dual Boot -- lost mouse/keyboard in win7 after 10 installation

If your keyboard and mouse are USB, you can try to unplug them and plug them again. Maybe Windows haven't yet loaded any drivers for them. Also check BIOS for entries such as "Enable USB mouse" or "Enable USB Keyboard" and try them to NO or YES. See if that makes any difference in Windows. This is to make USB input devices work before booting in Windows (such as to select a boot entry in a boot loader) but I have seen sometimes that they don't work in Windows, change the setting and check.

spapakons, Sep 17, 2015
  5. They are both USB devices, and I had already tried that to no avail. In fact tried several times; even left and came back before and after unplugging to see if time made any difference, which it didn't.

I didn't see any UEFI(?) setting with the above label, but did see something about "Compatibility" and enabled that. But as noted in OP, after I unplugged the drive that boots Win10 I didn't have any issues at all. So now the obvious thing to do is plug the drive back in, boot up and see what happens.

Go figure, I still get the same error message in place of the dual boot menu, only now when I boot into Win7 I can see the drive that should have booted up Win10, so it is physically working and available, but now .......? <shrug><sigh>*cry

Now that I think about it, I'm going to take a picture of the error screen and post it in my next msg.

PingJockey, Sep 19, 2015
  6. Dual Boot -- lost mouse/keyboard in win7 after 10 installation [​IMG]

PingJockey, Sep 19, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    Here is what this error means: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-79d5b414a81fI was too lazy to read it all, I hope you can find a clue...

Well after having a quick look, I understand that there are some boot entries in Windows Boot Loader than do not correspond to the correct partition since this might have changed. Change hard disk boot priority in BIOS and see if the error remains. Try booting in safe mode and use a utility such as EasyBCD to remove all boot entries and create them again so they correspond to the correct partition and you won't see that error again. The problem arises because a boot entry refers to a partition that is no longer valid (because of a change in hard disk boot priority).

spapakons, Sep 19, 2015
  8. Dual Boot -- lost mouse/keyboard in win7 after 10 installation

*Sad That link doesn't work for some reason, all I get is "Thread not found". But I will try the solutions you mentioned and see what happens.

Thanks.

PingJockey, Sep 20, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    spapakons, Sep 20, 2015
  10. So I finally had a chance to install EasyBCD, and it indicates both boot entries are present and should work, so I guess I'll be reinstalling Windows 10 later in the week.

Still don't know what happened to my mouse and keyboard with the original installation, but I think that has taken a back seat to the problem of now not booting into Windows 10 at all. Thanks for the help.

PingJockey, Oct 3, 2015
  11. CountMike New Member
    Next time you install Windows, do that while disconnecting other disk.

CountMike, Oct 3, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    If you will reinstall Windows 10, first make sure you can boot to Windows 7 without any issue. The connect the Windows 10 disk as second and start setup from Windows 7. When asked for an upgrade, choose a clean install instead. This will copy the necessary files to the Windows 7 hard disk and reboot to proceed. Before starting the Windows Setup, you should be presented with the available partitions. I would delete completely the Windows 10 partitions, just to make sure, and then proceed to installation. To access the disk tools, click on the "disk options" or "advanced" button (I don't remember how it's called right now, but you'll understand when you see it). This should create a new entry in the boot loader for Windows 10. If you have the old entry as well, you can use EasyBCD to remove it. If you aren't sure which is which, you have to either remove it before installing Windows 10 or rename one of the two and try using to load Windows 10 to see which is the correct. Then go back to EasyBCD in Windows 7 and delete the other.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual Boot -- lost mouse/keyboard in win7 after 10 installation

1. Dual Boot -- lost mouse/keyboard in win7 after 10 installation - Similar Threads - Dual Boot lost

2. WIN7 after boot no Keyboard no mouse and usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIN7 after boot no Keyboard no mouse and usb: Vostro 3560 after boot no Keyboard no mouse and usbHi - with a boot stick Win10 or Linux no issues with keyboard mouse or USB . After boot with Win7 I have non of them ,I tried Safe Mode - Repair mode - different USB mouse and Keyboards - regback - rollback to older versions...
  3. WIN7 after boot no Keyboard no mouse and usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIN7 after boot no Keyboard no mouse and usb: Vostro 3560 after boot no Keyboard no mouse and usbHi - with a boot stick Win10 or Linux no issues with keyboard mouse or USB . After boot with Win7 I have non of them ,I tried Safe Mode - Repair mode - different USB mouse and Keyboards - regback - rollback to older versions...
  4. Dual boot Win10 Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  5. I have a dual boot with win7 & 10.

I have a dual boot with win7 & 10.: Well I started to use the crappy one {10} since you aren't going to support your best product ever. Well as soon as I got using it for first time it crashed. And now I can't get either os to work. And I also forget how to change the command prompt. And what drive will my...
  6. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  7. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  8. Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10

Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10: hi, I am new on this forum, but not new with windows or OS setup. I was running win 7 (64bit) pleasantly but decided to install Win10, did all the needed stuff for getting dual boot setup. Win10 booted fine, when selected from dual boot menu, but I have many issues on...
  9. Dual Boot win7/10 questions...with clean install

Dual Boot win7/10 questions...with clean install: Hello, I recently upgraded my one laptop to windows 10 and thought I was doing a clean install but did not and wound up doing a restore that deleted everything. I downloaded windows 10 via the media creation tool in hopes of doing a clean install to my other laptop. I have...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010