Windows 10: Dual boot no option menu

Discus and support Dual boot no option menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm currently running ver 14393 (32) and tried installing 14986 (insider) on a partition. The install went ok but the installed version had some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tcebob, Dec 27, 2016.

1. tcebob Win User

Dual boot no option menu

I'm currently running ver 14393 (32) and tried installing 14986 (insider) on a partition. The install went ok but the installed version had some problems: repeated BSODs and really slow response. The hard part was getting back to my working version. I thought there was a boot menu to select which installation to boot to but none appeared. I finally booted from the install disk and found the boot choices there. What can I do to fix this problem?

:)

tcebob, Dec 27, 2016

2. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Dec 27, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    System must start twice to run

Hi,

What are the options it gives with the Dual Boot window ?

There is a setting in System Configuration (msconfig) BOOT Tab, where you can modify the Boot menu at startup...

slance310, Dec 27, 2016
  4. SIW2 Win User

Dual boot no option menu

Add an entry to the boot menu using bcdboot.exe.

Open an admin cmd and type:

bcdboot 14393_partition_letter:\Windows

e.g.

bcdboot d:\windows

(then press enter)

5. Edwin New Member
    @tcebob :
    Could you get in to the new version?

The boot timeout could have faulted to 0, you may be able to change that by holding Shift while clicking Restart to access boot options.

Edwin, Dec 27, 2016
  6. tcebob Win User
    To clarify: I could only boot to the new version. I found a program EasyBCD NeoSmart Technologies that makes bcdboot a bit easier. It's really confusing to have 2 operating systems named "Windows 10" but I managed to sort it out and renamed one to "Insider." Now that I know about shift/restart I think I'll opt out of the automatic menu.

Many thanks!

tcebob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual boot no option menu

1. Dual boot no option menu - Similar Threads - Dual boot option

2. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  3. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  4. Dual boot option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot option: Hello sir, i have a dual boot os on my windows 10 and i already delete the other one using msconfig option, Now i want to bring back the dual boot option again.. Is it possible?...
  5. Dual boot not working [Menu and advanced options]

Dual boot not working [Menu and advanced options]: Good morning / evening everyone i have windows and kali linux installed on my machine , when i first installed kali , there was a problem and it's that kali didn't appear in the dual boot menu , only windows 10 did , i solved this issue by booting into windows then going to...
  6. Dual boot menu dissapeared and there is no option any more anywhere

Dual boot menu dissapeared and there is no option any more anywhere: Hello I had a win7 os and i install in the same ssd 1Tb in a new partition a win10 new os. there was a boot menu in the begining to choose what os i want and default was win10. It worked normal for 10 days and suddenly maybe after a win10 update the boot menu is...
  7. Bringing back the Windows 10 option in the dual-boot menu

Bringing back the Windows 10 option in the dual-boot menu: Hi! I have a problem. I have installed Debian 10 on my computer as second OS next to my Win 10. After this the Debian was my default system to boot into, but I wanted my Windows as default, so I went on and made some modifications after tutorials that I can't remember, and...
  8. Dual Boot Option Missing

Dual Boot Option Missing: It was there - options for booting into Win7 or Technical Preview. The 'time to display....' is set at 30 seconds but only Win7 is showing. Any thoughts appreciated - regards. 3716
  9. Dual Boot No Boot Menu

Dual Boot No Boot Menu: Ladies and Gentlemen I am in a new arena and need some help. I have been in the INI and BCD Arena but not the EFI MBR. I decided to go with a new motherboard and AMD RYZEN CPU. I set up the new system and moved my hard drives with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and Windows 8.1 Pro...
  10. No dual boot menu at all?!

No dual boot menu at all?!: Hello, ] I recently (clean) installed Windows 10 on a new SSD. Windows 7 resides on my first drive. 1) I first set the USB to boot from; 2) Began to install Windows 10; 3) First snare: upon first reboot, after removing the USB, the system just started my old...