Windows 10: Dual Boot Only Boots Into Default OS- "Choose Operating System" broken

Discus and support Dual Boot Only Boots Into Default OS- "Choose Operating System" broken in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a dual boot system, and at the blue selection screen "Choose Operating System", it offers the choice between two builds of Win10. Before an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DJ5D, Mar 6, 2019.

1. DJ5D Win User

Dual Boot Only Boots Into Default OS- "Choose Operating System" broken

I have a dual boot system, and at the blue selection screen "Choose Operating System", it offers the choice between two builds of Win10.

Before an update 'broke' it, I would just click on which OS I wanted, and it would boot into that OS. Now, it only allows me to boot into the *default* OS, even though it still offers me two choices at startup.

If I click on the non-default OS, the computer reboots and then hangs at the splash screen.

I can still access the other OS, but to do so, I have to power off, reboot, and change the default OS in the options to make it work.

I want to restore the ability to choose which OS I boot into by simply clicking on it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Note: I don't know if this is important, but this laptop has a 250GB PCI Express 3 M.2 Solid State drive, split into 2 partitions, which contain each OS.

:)

DJ5D, Mar 6, 2019

2. How to make make a particular OS as default boot.

Hi Mohammad,

As per the description, I understand that you had installed two Windows 10 Operating systems on a particular hard drive, where one is genuine.

If you would like to make the genuine Operating system as the default boot, please follow the below steps.

• Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type
      msconfig, and press Enter.

• Click/tap on the Boot tab.
      Select the operating system you want to delete that is not set as the
      Default OS, and click/tap on Delete.

NOTE:
      If the OS you want to delete from the list is the
      Default OS, then you will need to change the
      default operating system
      to another listed OS first.

• Check the Make all boot settings permanent box, and click on
      OK.

• Click/tap on Yes to confirm.

• Click/tap on the Restart button.
    Hope the steps provided helps you to select the default Operating system on boot. Please do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Mar 6, 2019
  3. Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10

Would this also apply if a Linux OS was installed after Windows 10, or, does this apply only to Windows OSs dual boot?

cottonball, Mar 6, 2019
  4. Dual Boot Only Boots Into Default OS- "Choose Operating System" broken

' choose an operation system to start"

thank for your assistance,

i did the above step and it shown me only win10 as a default os and there isnt any other operation system except win 10 pro, My computer was booting normally for weeks ago but newly it starts to ask me to choose an operation system, is there any app can
    effect on my PC boot because i download many new app.

bob hammoud, Mar 6, 2019
Thema:

Dual Boot Only Boots Into Default OS- "Choose Operating System" broken

1. Dual Boot Only Boots Into Default OS- "Choose Operating System" broken - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Boots

2. Dual Windows OS system cannot boot with only one OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Windows OS system cannot boot with only one OS: Hello all,I have 2 nvme SSDs on my system that each contains its own Windows installation, one with Windows 10, one with Windows 11.I bought the second SSD a few months back, installed Windows 11 on it, and it works like a charm. However, I am always prompted with the select...
  3. Dual Windows OS system cannot boot with only one OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Windows OS system cannot boot with only one OS: Hello all,I have 2 nvme SSDs on my system that each contains its own Windows installation, one with Windows 10, one with Windows 11.I bought the second SSD a few months back, installed Windows 11 on it, and it works like a charm. However, I am always prompted with the select...
  4. dual boot one broken but only one partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual boot one broken but only one partition: 2015 i bought a laptop with win8 on it. when it was time, i updated to winX. Now at startup, i get to choose dual boot. i never gave it much thought tbo. then my harddrive died 2020 and i gave it to a shop to fix it useless idiot, i had to get the filehistory/image back on...
  5. dual boot one broken but only one partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dual boot one broken but only one partition: 2015 i bought a laptop with win8 on it. when it was time, i updated to winX. Now at startup, i get to choose dual boot. i never gave it much thought tbo. then my harddrive died 2020 and i gave it to a shop to fix it useless idiot, i had to get the filehistory/image back on...
  6. Choose an operating system screen missing on dual-boot Windows 10 computer

in Windows 10 News
    Choose an operating system screen missing on dual-boot Windows 10 computer: [ATTACH]When you have a dual boot Windows, the menu appears as soon as you […] This article Choose an operating system screen missing on dual-boot Windows 10 computer first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Dual-Boots OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual-Boots OS: Hello, I am a Gamer Who is Having a Very Old PC bought at 2012 I am Using Windows 10, My PC Has 2GB RAM, and 2.8GHz Intel Pentium Processor. Windows 10 uses huge amount of ram, especially Windows Security Uses it. Normally, The Windows 10 Uses Half Of My RAM 47~60%...
  8. adding Windows 10 as dual boot operating system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    adding Windows 10 as dual boot operating system: I'd like to add Windows 10 (USB home version) as dual boot operating system. Simple reason is because I'm using software (Vista sp2) that doesn't offer driver support for M-audio devices (Firewire 1814) in conjunction with ProTools for Win 10; and still need to use it....
  9. Dual booting OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual booting OS: Hi, I would like to install dual booting windows 10, both OS in same hard disc. I would like to confirm that no issue to have partition C and D in both OS and no access from each other? Thanks, Ratna...
  10. Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System: Dual-boot system Partition C:\ = Windows 10 Pro Partition E:\ = Windows 7 Pro Would it be possible to switch the OSs? I have applications to clone one partition to another but my concern are the already installed apps being functional. Did a Google search and all I found...