Windows 10: Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up

Discus and support Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to dual boot OSX and Windows 10 on my desktop computer. OSX is fully installed, and I have created Windows 10 install media on a flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rhart14, May 25, 2020.

1. rhart14 Win User

Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up

I am trying to dual boot OSX and Windows 10 on my desktop computer. OSX is fully installed, and I have created Windows 10 install media on a flash drive. I am able to boot into the installer, but when I tell the installer to install in the unallocated space ~250gb, it creates 4 partitions in such a way that the Recovery partition ends up being mounted as the C: drive which prevents anything from being installed. I have tried to reassign the partitions so that the main partition is assigned to the C: drive, but when I try to install after doing this, the installer cannot recognize my partitions because of the existing OSX partitions. The installer gives me the error "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." How can I fix this so the install will start working?

My drive is formatted as GUID partition table and I have ensured that my bios settings boot in UEFI mode.

:)

rhart14, May 25, 2020
  2. Solaris17 Win User

Dual Boot?

I can help here iv had both i used partition magic to split my HDD and i installed vista on one and xp was already on the other only problem is id watch out if i were you for some reason vista does not like to dual boot iv seen this on a couple of my machines and my buddys. so step one have xp installed step 2 find a partitioner of your choice i dont know of any except partition magic and the one included on xp...only thing is i dont think the one on xp will even partition them...then pop in your vista DVD and select the drive of your choice....the only thing i can think of that causes vista to hate dual booting sooo much is that when their are 2 OS's installed xp uses its own prog to list them on boot well vista uses a totally diff boot loader than the previous os's and i think they conflict the problems i hade were the standard missing windows folder missing HAL.dll and the nt one dont remember the name.....that and after your done vista and boot into xp things didnt like to start correctly specially if you scan disk with vista.

Solaris17, May 25, 2020
  3. Dandel Win User
    How to go about building a tri-boot system?

i dual boot all the time, and going in to tri boot is easy.

step 1) partition the drive in to 3 partitions ( leaving 1 empty for the linux installer. )
    step 2) install windows on the first 2 partitions.
    step 3) install linux, and let it auto partition the remaining space. ( i recommend at least 30gb of space for linux, because it will make things a lot easier. )

step 4) enjoy.

Dandel, May 25, 2020
  4. Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up

Install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition

Hi Krishna,

Really appreciate your advice! But, unfortunately, neither of your suggestions re shutdown worked for me.

In answer to your questions:

• What is the make and model of the computer? - Lenovo B570
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you have already performed? - all that I can find on the internet, eg stopping quick resume, powercfg, etc etc etc
    • What exactly happens when you try to shut down the laptop? - the power button light stays on, and the fan speed increases
    • How exactly are you trying to install Windows 7? - keep Windows 10, reinstall Windows 7 in a new partition for dual boot.

Note: I only have 1 hard disk in my laptop.

Thank you and any other expert will is willing to help out!

forumnovice, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up

1. Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Partitions

2. I messed up making the partition during boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I messed up making the partition during boot.: I installed Windows 11 from USB and followed the instructions. But during the partition process of the installation, I forgot to allocate the space. Now I can't make any changes to the partition. All it shows is a grey unclickable surface when I try to allocate. I would like...
  3. I messed up making the partition during boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I messed up making the partition during boot.: I installed Windows 11 from USB and followed the instructions. But during the partition process of the installation, I forgot to allocate the space. Now I can't make any changes to the partition. All it shows is a grey unclickable surface when I try to allocate. I would like...
  4. Dual boot windows overwrote boot partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot windows overwrote boot partition: Hi so I have had a Windows 10 install on my PC for around 3 years and wanted to try the new Windows 10 insider builds and so I created a separate Windows 10 install on another drive in my PC so it doesn’t conflict with my main Windows 10 install however the new install has...
  5. Will BIOS update mess up my windows dual boot with linux?

Will BIOS update mess up my windows dual boot with linux?: I have a lenovo idepad3 BIOS 5 update and instruction number 5 is "Please load default in BIOS setup menu before executing this program." I'm worried that this might mess up my dual boot. What should i do?...
  6. dual boot mess up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    dual boot mess up: I installed pop os from a video that worked in the past to upgrade to a new version of pop os, now the boot menu when I hit f12 won't see windows 10 install on my separate drive. It just says intel where windows boot manager should be. I troubleshooted with the windows boot...
  7. Dual Monitor Mess Up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitor Mess Up: Hi. I was trying to set up a second monitor for my laptop to run simultaneously. When hooked up in the display settings, I clicked something for set to second monitor or something. Now when I have a second monitor connected both screens are blank and I cant access the...
  8. Messed up recovery partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Messed up recovery partition: Hello, I was trying to create a recovery drive for my windows but it kept giving me an error. I checked reagent/info in cmd and it turns out the windows recovery environment was disabled. I tried using the code Code: REAGENTC.EXE /setreimage /path...
  9. Will upgrading when I have a dual boot mess things up?

Will upgrading when I have a dual boot mess things up?: My laptop currently runs a duel boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. The MBR is GRUB. If I start the upgrade to Windows 10, will it mess up the MBR? Will it remove my ability to boot into Windows? I don't care about the Linux partition, as I never use it. Also, if I upgrade using...
  10. Update to build 9860 messes up dual-boot setup

in Windows 10 News
    Update to build 9860 messes up dual-boot setup: Perhaps this was already discussed in other threads, but I decided to post that as a general warning: if you are using Win10 in a dual boot configuration on a separate drive, make sure you physically unplug all other hard drives before updating to a new build. Failure to do...