Windows 10: Dual boot question 7-10

Discus and support Dual boot question 7-10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I thought it might be a good idea to make a dual boot system,so I can gradually tweak my system to upgrade to W10. But... Can I "tweak"all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wideglide, Jun 30, 2019.

1. wideglide Win User

Dual boot question 7-10

Hello,
    I thought it might be a good idea to make a dual boot system,so I can
    gradually tweak my system to upgrade to W10.
    But...

Can I "tweak"all installed programs so they work under w10 and under w7?

:)

wideglide, Jun 30, 2019
  2. aeneas3 Win User

Windows 10/7 dual boot question - key

hi guys
    I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, I could not find the exact answer to my question.

Both my laptop and desktop have windows 7, different versions. Both have the upgrade ready for them.
    I want to dual boot win7 and 10 for a while, likely will fully transition down the road.

My question relates to both PCs:
    Can I use my free upgrade to create the dual boot without needing a win 10 key I have to pay for?
    The dual boot tutorial suggests the need for a key, so just wanted to see what the answer was before I jump.

thank you.

aeneas3, Jun 30, 2019
  3. ckmape Win User
    error code 0xc0000428 with windows 10 dual booted with 7.

Hello I have a question are you able to help me with error code 0xc0000428 winload.exe is corrupted. I tried this commands but didn't work.

• bootrec /fixmbr
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bootrec /rebuild bcd
    I am trying this in windows 10 by any chance are you able to help me?

This happened when i put in windows 7 dual booted but i tried to reinstall windows 7 but windows 10 still doesn't want to boot. the windows 7 boot manager still recognized windows 10 but i don't want to reinstall windows 10 since I lost my product key and I
    don't want to spend $300 for a new one? any suggestions?

ckmape, Jun 30, 2019
  4. Dual boot question 7-10

Install Windows 7 dual boot on Windows 10 laptop with GPT partition

Hi Krishna,

Really appreciate your advice! But, unfortunately, neither of your suggestions re shutdown worked for me.

In answer to your questions:

• What is the make and model of the computer? - Lenovo B570
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you have already performed? - all that I can find on the internet, eg stopping quick resume, powercfg, etc etc etc
    • What exactly happens when you try to shut down the laptop? - the power button light stays on, and the fan speed increases
    • How exactly are you trying to install Windows 7? - keep Windows 10, reinstall Windows 7 in a new partition for dual boot.

Note: I only have 1 hard disk in my laptop.

Thank you and any other expert will is willing to help out!

forumnovice, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

Dual boot question 7-10

1. Dual boot question 7-10 - Similar Threads - Dual boot question

2. Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot: Below is a listing of my rig's internals. This was my umty-8th build 6years ago, with the Crucial M4 SSD and the Program drive and the Backup drive. The 1TB game drive was added about two years ago. Note: This rig has been nothing but fast and trouble free. Also, I build...
  3. Dual Boot Question

Dual Boot Question: I wanted to update and run a dual boot on 2 separate ssd's. The original ssd has 8.1, and I tried to do an install using an ISO file I made of 10 on the other ssd but could not get past the authentication code since it would not accept my code for windows 8.1. After several...
  4. dual boot question

dual boot question: Thank you for taking the time to read this. I currently have a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and Linux Mint. The upgrade to Win 10 is ready. Will the upgrade destroy my boot sector ? If it does, will I be able to re-install Linux after upgrading to Win 10 from Windows 7?...
  5. dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question

dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question: i'm building a new windows 10 desktop to replace current windows 7 desktop but since all my software is only guaranteed to run on 7 i plan to build the new desktop as a dual boot ( 10 + 7 ) first and then eventually ( in a year or two ) convert to 10 only. i haven't...
  6. Dual Boot question

Dual Boot question: Hi, I have set a dual boot config, on a laptop with W 7 x64 preinstalled. Laptop has one disk drive, before dual boot, with 3 primary partitions, from left to right, in Computer Management: 1. Recovery OEM primary 15 GB 2. System Reserved 100 MB primary (70 MB free)...
  7. Dual Boot question (7 and 10)

Dual Boot question (7 and 10): I have Windows 7, and want to try Windows 10. But I want to set up a dual boot, in case some of my old software doesn't work with Windows 10. This forum has lots of good info on how to do this, but I'm still fuzzy on a couple details. Here's my question: If I create a new...
  8. Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7

Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7: Hello TenForums, first post from a forum lurker new to Windows 10. I've been using Windows 7 Home for years and found Sevenforums very helpful just like this forum. I have read this thread and other tutorials about this topic on other sites/blogs and still have a few question...
  9. Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question

Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question: Here is what I am trying to accomplish 1. upgrade my win 7 pro 64bit install to win 10 LTSB 2. reinstall my present win 7 install from image back up then change my key Reason for this is that I have lost a couple of install disks during a recent move. Need these 2 disks...
  10. Windows 10/7 dual boot question - key

Windows 10/7 dual boot question - key: hi guys I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, I could not find the exact answer to my question. Both my laptop and desktop have windows 7, different versions. Both have the upgrade ready for them. I want to dual boot win7 and 10 for a while, likely will fully...