Windows 10: Dual Boot: Recover Windows 10 boot process. MBR?

Discus and support Dual Boot: Recover Windows 10 boot process. MBR? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I'm trying a dual boot between Windows 10 2004 and ArcaOS 5.0.5. ArcaOS has a boot manager tool called Air-Boot open source that works fine, and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Martin-E, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Martin-E Win User

Dual Boot: Recover Windows 10 boot process. MBR?

Hi

I'm trying a dual boot between Windows 10 2004 and ArcaOS 5.0.5. ArcaOS has a boot manager tool called Air-Boot open source that works fine, and it can boot Windows 10, since I already tested.

My issue is that ArcaOS does something to the Windows 10 partition, that does not allows for Windows 10 to boot back. It just stays in a black screen when the Windows 10 partition is selected to boot. As far as I can see, it does not break the Win10 NTGS partition, but maybe it breaks the MBR or maybe something with the geometry of the disk.

The machine I'm using is a non-UEFI BIOS laptop. No GUID on the HDD, just MBR.

Just in case here it is the partition layout.

----- Output of: lvm.exe /query ------------------------------------------------

Disk Size MB Free Space: Total Largest
    [ D1 ] 715395 0 0
    Disk Partition Size MB Type Status Logical Volume
    Windows 655385 Primary In use Windows
    Disk2 40006 Primary In use Disk2
    ArcaOS 20003 Logical In use ArcaOS

This is from the ArcaOS partition X:\

----- Output of: X:\sys\INSTALL\dfsanos2.exe -B- -a -l- query#part -w ----------

DFSee invocation : X:\SYS\INSTALL\DFSANOS2.EXE -B- -a -l- query#part -w
    Working directory : X:\

DFSee OS/2 16.0 : executing: query
    Number of disks : 9

BIOS-Geo D 1 Cyl : 16383 H: 16 S:63 Bps:512 Size:0x575466F0 = 698.6 GiB
    L-Geo Disk 1 Cyl : 45241 H:255 S:127 Bps:512 Size:0x57541B39 = 698.6 GiB
    MBR crc 6d51c774 : 0x50974e3b = Airboot BM, 09-11-2017 version 1.14 Lang:E, I13X

At least 2 non-trivial minor warnings were not shown. Use 'part -w:t -t-' for details.

Id D A Dr Type Form Label info LVM vol,part Begin-cyl End-cyl Size MiB
    -- - - -- ---- ---- ----------- ------------- --------- --------- -----------
    01 1 > C: P 07 NTFS Windows,Windo 0 41445 655385.1
    02 1 -d P 0c FAT3 SHARED Disk2,Disk2 41446 43975 40006.9
    03 1 X: L 07 JFS ARCAOS ArcaOS,ArcaOS 43976 45240 20003.4
    04 1 Free 45241 45241 9.5
    -- - - -- ---- ---- ----------- ------------- --------- --------- -----------
    > = Active, * = Bootable, r = Removable, R = Removable+Active/Bootable possibly

DFSee OS/2 16.0 : executing: part -w
    Pid01=C: warning : Bootsector GEO Heads/Sectors fields do NOT match geometry!
    It may be harmless, but when it seems to cause problems,
    you can probably fix it by opening the partition and use
    the FIXPBR command or the corresponding menu item being:
    Mode=xxx -> Boot area fixes -> Fix HiddenSectors/Geo value
    EBR03=X: warning : A windows-compatible extended-partition type 0x0f is used,
    Old operating systems might not see all logical partitions.
    Pid03=X: warning : Logical partition is marked as startable! active
    ÚÄÄÄÂÄÄÂÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
    ³ID ³ux³Dr³Type, description³Format ³Related ³VolumeLabel³OS2-LVM/³ Size MiB ³
    ÃÄÄ</dev/sda MBR disk 1>ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ<[ D1 ]>ÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
    ³01>³ 1³C:³Prim 07 Inst-FSys³NTFS ³Win NT ³ ³Windows,³ 655385.1³
    ³02 ³ 2³-d³Prim 0c FAT32-Ext³FAT32 ³MSWIN4.1³SHARED ³Disk2, D³ 40006.9³
    ³03 ³ 5³X:³Log 07 Inst-FSys³JFS ³IBM 4.50³ARCAOS ³ArcaOS, ³ 20003.4³
    ³04 ³ ³ ³Partial Cylinder ³-- -- --³-- -- --³- - - - - -³ ³ 9.5³
    ÀÄÄÄÁÄÄÁÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ
    > = Active/Startable * = Bootable r = Removable R = Removable+Active/Bootable possibly
    ----- Drive List ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Drive A:
    Drive B:
    Drive C: FS='UNKNOWN' Label='' Size=31.99 MiB Free=1.77 MiB Used=30.21 MiB
    Drive D: FS='FAT32' Label='SHARED' Size=39.05 GiB Free=39.05 GiB Used=192.00 KiB
    Drive S:
    Drive T:
    Drive X: FS='JFS' Label='ARCAOS' Size=19.50 GiB Free=18.36 GiB Used=1.13 GiB

Air-Boot and ArcaOS are booting fine, so I now I want to try to restore the Windows 10 partition to boot again.

I tried the following:

1 Win10 USB Boot - Repair your computer -- Troubleshoot - Startup Repair. It failed and said "Starup Repair couldn't repair you PC".

2 Win10 USB Boot - Repair your computer -- Troubleshoot - Command line. Tried this
    - run chckdsk c: /f - just in case
    - bootrec /FixMbr
    - bootrec /FixBoot
    -- Access is Denied
    - bootrec /ScanOs
    -- Scanning...
    -- Please wait...
    -- Successfully...
    -- Total Identified Windows Installations: 1
    -- [1] C:\Windows
    -- The operation completed successfully.
    - bootrec /RebuildBcd
    -- Scanning...
    -- Please wait...
    -- Successfully...
    -- Total Identified Windows Installations: 1
    -- [1] C:\Windows
    -- Add installation to boot list? Yes Y/NoN/AllA
    Pressed Y
    -- The operation completed successfully.

After all that, no Windows 10 boot. Black screen.

I also tried the ""bootsect /nt60 sys"" on Win10 but I also get an "Access is denied" error.

After more reading I tried.
    -- bootsect /nt60 sys /force
    got : Bootcode was successfully updated...

-- bootrec /FixBoot
    -- Access is denied.

Rebooted just in case.... Now I get.
    "An Operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives....

---

This is a test machine, so there is nothing critical there, and I can experiment.

My goal is to try to recover the Windows 10 partition booting process. Reinstalling Windows 10 is a no go for this experiment for a Win10/ArcaOS Dual Boot.

Regards

:)

Martin-E, Aug 26, 2020
  2. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Aug 26, 2020
  3. dual boot windows xp with uefi windows 10

Hi,

It definitely is possible to do a dual boot of Windows 10 with a older version of Windows. There are several steps involved to successfully achieve your objective. For us to resolve your concern, we suggest you follow the step by step process provided by
    Andre Da Costa in the article:
    How to dual boot Windows 10 and older versions of Windows

This covers installing different versions of Windows alongside Windows 10 in a dual boot environment. Take note though to backup any important files that you have before proceeding with any of the steps to prevent any data loss.

We look forward to your response once you complete the steps.

Jordan Dom, Aug 26, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Dual Boot: Recover Windows 10 boot process. MBR? - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Recover

2. HDD not showing up in windows after stupidly deleting dual boot and recovering MBR the hard way

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD not showing up in windows after stupidly deleting dual boot and recovering MBR the hard way: So, I know, I didn't do things the right way.I had a Kali/Win11 dual boot and decided to delete Kali via Disk Manager. I didn't think about what I was doing and didn't realize I'd have to repair MBR. Now my problem is I have My main SSD showing up on my Win11 installation,...
  3. dual boot /mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual boot /mbr to gpt: I would like to enable dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Currently Windows 10 only; please guide me step by step how to convert this disk and install Mint along Windows. i.e. Legacy to UEFI, MBR to UEFI etc., unfortunatelly I am not a 20 years old IT genius.... So far my...
  4. dual boot /mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dual boot /mbr to gpt: I would like to enable dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Currently Windows 10 only; please guide me step by step how to convert this disk and install Mint along Windows. i.e. Legacy to UEFI, MBR to UEFI etc., unfortunatelly I am not a 20 years old IT genius.... So far my...
  5. Convert Dual Boot Windows 10 PC from MBR to UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Convert Dual Boot Windows 10 PC from MBR to UEFI: Greetings -- I have a home-built PC, now about two years old, that runs both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional in a dual boot configuration. When I placed this PC into service, it was essentially a hybrid of new hardware motherboard, Ryzen APU, RAM sticks, case and...
  6. Windows MBR boot record is missing [Dual Boot]

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows MBR boot record is missing [Dual Boot]: I have dual boot with Manjaro, and my Manjaro partition can't find the boot record for Windows. That is because the /boot/EFI/Microsoft does not exist. However, my BIOS does find both installations Windows and Manjaro and succeeds in booting into them. My disk partitionsHow...
  7. Adding MBR to existing windows installation former dual boot.

Adding MBR to existing windows installation former dual boot.: I had a dual boot set up with Windows 7 on one SSD and Windows 10 on another seperate SSD. Unfortunately the Windows 7 SSD has died taking with it the MBR so I now get a 'An operation system wasn't found' message when booting up the computer. Is there an easy way to add a MBR...
  8. Issue in booting with Dual Boot in windows 10

Issue in booting with Dual Boot in windows 10: Hello. I had dual booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 18.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, where Ubuntu was stored. But, now...
  9. Windows 10 Update Destroys Linux Dual-Boot mbr Sector

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update Destroys Linux Dual-Boot mbr Sector: I was hesitant to allow MS unhindered access to perform all it's updates. But this is a computer I bought for cheap because the guy didn't realize the computer stopped working properly because the windows 10 upgrade from win8 killed the use of the DVD due to just a driver...
  10. Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?

Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?: Can I have both a GPT and MBR formatted drives on a dual boot system? I would like to retain my Win 7 installation as is with MBR formatted hard drive, and after the Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade, do a clean Win 10 install with GPT (UEFI) format. 8859