Windows 10: Dual boot system shows mirrored drives as foreign

Discus and support Dual boot system shows mirrored drives as foreign in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a dual boot system running win 10 on both drives (one 256Gb SSD and one a 2 Tb 7200 rpm). I am using two 4Tb drives mirrored for storage. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Nuckinfutz, May 31, 2019.

1. Dual boot system shows mirrored drives as foreign

I have a dual boot system running win 10 on both drives (one 256Gb SSD and one a 2 Tb 7200 rpm). I am using two 4Tb drives mirrored for storage. When I boot to the SSD the disc manager says the two 4Tb drives are foreign. I can import them back in and they work fine but now the operating system on the 7200 rpm boot drive says the mirror drives are foreign. One issue is the 7200 rpm drive lists the mirrored drives as Drive I and the SSD list them as Drive H. How do I get both operating systems to recognize them as the same drive letter?
    Will, if is possible to do it, aligning the drive letters fix the foreign disc issue?

:)

Nuckinfutz, May 31, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, May 31, 2019
  3. Adam Lee Win User
    Windows 10 Mirrored Drives show up as Foreign after taking them back from offline

I have a set of drives that I used in mirrored setting.
    I took them offline, and after my move I put them back online to rebuild the mirror index. Unfortunately the power went out during the rebuild and now they show up as foreign drives.

Have I lost my data? If not, how do I bring them back up online as mirrored?

Adam Lee, May 31, 2019
  4. Dual boot system shows mirrored drives as foreign

Windows 10 (64): Mirroring the boot drive

My boot drive (CDual boot system shows mirrored drives as foreign :) is 111.79GB SSD drive. I have another SSD, but is 256GB.

I would like to mirror the boot drive to the second SSD and then make use of the remainder as a work area. Is this possible? Are there any gotcha’s or things that I should watch out for?

Can someone also please detail the steps to accomplish this? When this is done, can I boot off either partition? I believe the second location be added to the list of items to try and boot from in the BIOS. Please confirm this.

I tried mirroring but stopped when I received the following warning message………..

Dual boot system shows mirrored drives as foreign 85f08068-452d-4517-8789-9ff692e6f1c0.png

Don’t want to destroy something or have to re-install the OS and the applications.

My disks look like the below and would like to use disk 5 to mirror disk 2 and the remainder as a work area:

Dual boot system shows mirrored drives as foreign dac9620a-3f01-42db-8843-6832927e871d.png

PradeepSubramaniam, May 31, 2019
Thema:

Dual boot system shows mirrored drives as foreign

1. Dual boot system shows mirrored drives as foreign - Similar Threads - Dual boot system

2. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  3. Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management: My current setup involves 3 hard drives:\C: for windows and HDD1, HDD2 for archival purposes.I'd like to expand it into a dual-boot system, to have a fresh and compatible windows install on a separate new ssd for audio production and keep the original one for general use of...
  4. Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management: My current setup involves 3 hard drives:\C: for windows and HDD1, HDD2 for archival purposes.I'd like to expand it into a dual-boot system, to have a fresh and compatible windows install on a separate new ssd for audio production and keep the original one for general use of...
  5. Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. weird system drive letter on dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    weird system drive letter on dual boot: i have hdd with windows 10 installed on it and i just got myself a ssd today since there's still some data left on my old windows i chose to dualboot my windows installation on my ssd so it's much easier to move my data later on. but something weird happened, the system drive...
  7. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  8. Dual boot system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot system: I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting software her computer is running windows7(OEM), intel,I5 3rd or 4th gen(3XXX), 8gb memory, and 500gb hard drive. the computer is...
  9. Dual Booting with a Mirrored Storage Pool

Dual Booting with a Mirrored Storage Pool: I'm planning my new PC build and it will be a dual boot configuration with 2 SSDs as my OS drives. One will have Windows 10, and the other will have Windows 7. I also plan to use three 2TB hard drives for bulk storage. I want to pool the hard drives in Storage Spaces using...
  10. wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system: [img] Hi guys in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition Disk 1 : clone of disk 0 problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mirrored drives moved to new computer lost redun