Windows 10: Dual-Boot System upgraded to Windows 10, now Win7 gives LogON error

Discus and support Dual-Boot System upgraded to Windows 10, now Win7 gives LogON error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a dual boot system in the following configuration: HDD-0 = Win7 OS, HDD-1 = Win7 OS, WinXP OS. I have successfully booted into each of these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Roxie2401, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Roxie2401 Win User

Dual-Boot System upgraded to Windows 10, now Win7 gives LogON error

I have a dual boot system in the following configuration:

HDD-0 = Win7 OS, HDD-1 = Win7 OS, WinXP OS. I have successfully booted into each of these operating systems - and the Win7 OS on HDD-1 is an exact clone of the primary OS on HDD-0.

I just upgraded the Win7 OS on HDD-0 to Windows 10 using the "Get Windows 10" process. I now get the new blue Boot Manger screen with all three OS's listed and I can successfully boot into Windows 10 and Windows XP. But I cannot boot into the Win7 OS on HDD-1 (which I could before the Windows 10 upgrade). How the upgrade even knew about the other copy of Windows 7, since it was not active and lives on another HDD is beyond me.

One strange thing - if I do a cold startup (power on) I get the new Boot Manger screen. But if I do a Restart from Windows 10, I get the old, black & white boot manger screen - and it does list all three OS's correctly, too.

The error message I get when trying to open (boot) the Windows 7 OS is: "LogonUI.exc - Entry point not found. RtlReleasePath could not be located in the ntdll.dll" And, like others, I now get the black screen with "Windows 7, Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine (but it was yesterday before the Windows 10 upgrade on the other HDD).

And like others, I can start the Crtl+Alt+Del to get the screen with users, Task Manger, etc. And, I can run all my applications by manually starting them in a New Task and browsing to the exe file - like Firefox.exe or Word.exe So, it looks like Windows 7 started and may be running. I just can't get into it.

I understand this may have something to do with the faster boot that was introduced in Windows 8 since the problem started around then.

I think both issues, the LogOn and the "Not Genuine" are both related to the Entry Point no located in the ntdll.dll.

At this point I really don't want to reload Windows 7 since it appears to be running and all the apps can be run manually.

All this happened after the upgrade of the other Win7 on HDD-0.

I'm going to post this in the Sevenforums, too, since it may be related to that OS as well.

Thanks

:)

Roxie2401, Nov 24, 2015

2. Windows 7 not working in Windows 10 dual boot system and blue screen appears

Original Title: windows 7 and 10 dual booting

I recently tried to dual boot win7 and win10 to test out win10, i formatted and changed 1 hdd from mbr to gpt, i shrank a partition for win10 (50gb) and installed it without any hiccups, i booted up win10 no problems and the 1st couple of times switching
    to win7 was fine too, but after those 2 times when trying to boot win7my mouse and keyboard became unresponsive, i couldnt login or shutdown or restart without pressing it on my case. I tried disabling the xHCI in the bios, which worked for that 1 time booting
    win7. After that, the only way i could boot win7 and logon was if i disconnected my hdd with win10 on it. So i decided to cut my losses but without being able to logon win7 i used the win10 installation from the boot menu to reformat the hdd with win10 on
    it, now i get the blue screen with error code 0xc0000225 on it, the same as having my hdd with win10 on it disconnected. How can i get rid of this? Basically going back to how things were before the win10 install. I didnt backup any of my drives since they
    were all pretty much full, but the hdd that had win10 on it is completely empty and seperate from win7.

blackflash2099, Nov 24, 2015
  3. linmaxyc Win User
    ual boot system upgrade to windows 10

Thanks Jessen for the hint. I was expecting a yes or no answer, since I already have a dual boot system(xp+win7), and if I upgrade win10 from win7 boot, would win7 be replaced by win10 and becomes a (xp+win10) dual boot system?

But it looks more complicated than I thought, should I check current system has xp and win7 are installed in DIFFERENT partitions, otherwise xp would be gone after win7 is upgraded to win10 if xp and win7 are in SAME partition?

linmaxyc, Nov 24, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Do you still have the Windows 7 installation media (USB or DVD)? I suspect that when you cloned the HDD-0 Windows 7 to HDD-1 and ran them side by side some pointers in the HDD-1 Windows 7 were still pointing to and actually using the Windows 7 on HDD-0. What I would try is from within Windows 7 run the setup.exe on your Windows 7 installation media, in effect doing an in place upgrade of Windows 7 to Windows 7. That might re-install some of those target files and pointers to their proper locations on HDD-1.

The Windows 10 install was aware of the Windows 7 on HDD-1 because of the pointer to it that was contained in the BCD store (boot files).

Your "cold startup" from Windows 10 shutdown is not as "cold" as you think it is. It is actually a hybrid shutdown recovery, very similar to hibernation. The "restart" from the Windows 10 power icon is actually a true all the way shutdown to bios and restart, that's why you see the different initial boot menu. You might have less problems if you turn fast startup off in Windows 10.

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Nov 24, 2015
  5. Roxie2401 Win User
    Thanks for the reply - I do have my original Windows 7 Pro disk; if I run the setup.exe on the DVD how will that affect all the currently installed applications (that appear to run just fine from the Task Manager)? I'm just so convinced that Windows 7 seems to be running, just not passing the LogonUI successfully, that I don't want to do a full reinstall.

Roxie2401, Nov 24, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It should not affect all your currently installed applications or user data files.

This article contains a very thorough process, but most of the preparation steps are not really required (but good to do anyway):
    How to Repair a Corrupt Windows 7 Installation | PCWorld

This is a simplified tutorial - just do it in Windows 7 with the Windows 7 DVD instead of Windows 10:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Nov 24, 2015
  7. Roxie2401 Win User
    Hi - am I correct that since I can't get to the Optical Drive from my Windows 7 in its current state, that I should boot from the Installation Disk? How will it find the Windows 7 OS that I want to repair?

Roxie2401, Nov 24, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NO! Do not boot from the Installation Disk! What you can do is in Windows 10 copy all the files from the Windows 7 installation disk to a folder that Windows 7 has access to, like create a new folder Win7 and just dump all the files from the DVD into it. Then from within Windows 7, run setup.exe from the folder you copied the files to.

Booting from the Windows 7 disk will cause you to do a clean install and, at best, copy all your old Windows 7 stuff to windows.old folder and at worst wipe it out completely.

NavyLCDR, Nov 24, 2015
  9. Roxie2401 Win User
    Got it - copying all the files & folders from the Windows 7 Pro installation disk to a folder in Windows 10 - then move that folder to the Windows 7 on HDD-1 and boot into that OS and use the Task Manager to find and run the startup.exe file. And when the window opens select "Upgrade"

Sound right? (And keep my fingers crossed!)

Roxie2401, Nov 24, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep, sounds right. Good luck!

NavyLCDR, Nov 24, 2015
  11. Roxie2401 Win User
    Well, no luck. Get the following two error messages:

api-ms-win-core-com-midlproxystub-l1-1-0.dll is missing

Ordinal 854 Not Located in iertutil.dll

Next message is "to upgrade Windows, the User, Program Files & Windows need to be on the same partition. Well, they are....

Still bugs me that I can run from the Task Manager and not the usual desktop. Looks like a logonUI.exe issue again.

Roxie2401, Nov 24, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Two thoughts :

When running in the Windows 7, is it C: drive, or something else? If it isn't C: drive, then I would change the drive letter to C:. You will have to do that while booted in Windows 7. Might have to install MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to do it.

Second thought is to create a new user account in Windows 7 and see if the problems exist in the new account.

NavyLCDR, Nov 24, 2015
  13. Roxie2401 Win User

Now this is interesting. Before the Windows 10 upgrade the drives were labled:
    C: Win7 (HDD-0), D: WinXP, G: Win7 (HDD-1) with the C Drive being flagged with the Windows 7 Icon.

If I booted into WinXP the drives were relabled:
    C: WinXP, G: Win7 (HDD-1) no change, and J: Win7 (HDD-0) with C Drive being flagged with the Windows XP Icon.

And if I booted into the HDD-1 copy of Windows 7:
    C: Win7 (HDD-1), D: WinXP and J: Win7 (HDD-0)

So, booting changed the drive of the desired OS to C: each time and moved the OS that was C to another drive letter.

After the Windows 10 upgrade the drives are labeled:

C: Win10, D: WinXP, G: Win7

Booting to Win10 and WinXP does change the active OS to C.

But booting to Win7 does not rearrange the drive letters; in other words, Win7 stays G: not C:

I don't know why, the boot manger looks correct (from EasyBCD 2.3):

There are a total of 3 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 10
    Timeout: 10 seconds
    Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
    Name: Windows 10
    BCD ID: {current}
    Drive: C:\
    Bootloader Path: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
    Name: Microsoft Windows 7 1-Win7
    BCD ID: {f510424d-7031-11e4-8421-00219b205fea}
    Drive: G:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #3
    Name: Microsoft Windows XP
    BCD ID: {f510424e-7031-11e4-8421-00219b205fea}
    Drive: D:\
    Bootloader Path: \NST\ntldr

Thoughts as to why Win7 does not get the C: drive letter when I boot to it and it appears to run but with the LogonUI error.

As an aside, I no longer have the "not genuine" message - I ran a Cmd of slmgr -rearm and "maybe" that resolved the Build 7601 issue. But I still have a black screen right after the Error of LogonUI.exe and then the blue Welcome screen, it goes black with another LogonUI error.

Roxie2401, Nov 24, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Could it be that when you booted into HDD-1 Windows 7 before the upgrade to Windows 10 that your HDD-1 Windows 7 was actually G: drive and the C: drive was pointing back to the original HDD-0 Windows 7? I think your problems are related to drive letter assignments. Windows 7 is looking for files that were originally on the HDD-0 the whole time and you took those files away when upgraded to Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2015
  15. Roxie2401 Win User
    Well, I don't think so -- the reason is that the Win7 on C had a different desktop and shortcuts than the Win7 on G (Actually, I put an empty folder on each desktop (O-Win7 & 1-Win7, 0-WinXP, 1-WinXP) so by looking at the desktop I knew which OS was booted.

Also, its strange but the Windows folder in Win7 shows 130,592 Files and 28,007 folders but the Windows.old folder left by Windows 10 upgrade shows 108,783 files and 23, 058 folders. Don't know why the difference.

Question: And maybe this is just old thinking, but does Windows 7 have a "Repair Console" or was that way back in Windows XP.

I guess this may all come down to having to format that G partiton and reinstall Windows 7 & all the associated Applications. I know I can get the User files before the format - it just bugs me that this LogonUI error seems to be the stumbling point and I can run everything from the Task Manager.

If it comes to the reinstall, the machine originally came with Windows Home and I upgraded to Windows Pro. Can the reinstall be from the Windows Pro disk, even though it says Upgrade?

I'll check for your reply but am going to call it quits for today. I've booted so many times I can't see straight.

If your "name" is an indication, "Thank You for your Service". Have a great Thanksgiving!

If you keep thinking about this issue, please let me know.

Thanks

Roxie2401, Nov 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Dual-Boot System upgraded to Windows 10, now Win7 gives LogON error - Similar Threads - Dual Boot System

2. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop: This is probably an unfair question to ask in this forum. But given the depth of expertise, someone might have advice to offer! I have recently done successful clean installs and activations of Win 10 with the help of Shawn Brink's tutorials and advice from other forum...
  3. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  4. I have a dual boot with win7 & 10.

I have a dual boot with win7 & 10.: Well I started to use the crappy one {10} since you aren't going to support your best product ever. Well as soon as I got using it for first time it crashed. And now I can't get either os to work. And I also forget how to change the command prompt. And what drive will my...
  5. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  6. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  7. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  8. XP failed after upgrading win7 to win 10 of dual boot with XP

XP failed after upgrading win7 to win 10 of dual boot with XP: Several weeks ago I upped to windows 10 on a dual boot system running windows 7 and XP. Win7 and XP are on different partitions. Over the last week, the XP would not boot unless it was directed to the last successful configuration. I attempted system restore from XP with no...
  9. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010