Windows 10: Dual-Boot System upgraded to Windows 10, now Win7 gives LogON error

Discus and support Dual-Boot System upgraded to Windows 10, now Win7 gives LogON error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi - By the way, I believe that previous post about the drive letters not changing may be incorrect. When I booted on to Win7 and ran the cmd to fix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Roxie2401, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Roxie2401 Win User

Dual-Boot System upgraded to Windows 10, now Win7 gives LogON error

Hi - By the way, I believe that previous post about the drive letters not changing may be incorrect. When I booted on to Win7 and ran the cmd to fix the Not Genuine issue, it had to be from C: So I think the system did change from G to C on that boot - since I can't actually see the My Computer, I really didn't think it had changed.

Any chance running a sfc /scanow would help?

Jumping ahead, what is the correct process for installing Windows 7 "after" Windows 10 if I have to format that partition on HDD-1 and reinstall clean?

Thanks

Roxie2401, Nov 25, 2015
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

Running sfc /scannow might help. Certainly would not hurt.

Have you tried a new (temporary) user account to see if that changes anything?

If it has been less than 30 days since upgrading to Windows 10, you can revert HDD-0 back to Windows 7. If that fixes the problem then you have confirmed that the problem is the sharing of some files between the two Windows 7 partitions.

To do a clean install of Windows 7, you will boot from the Windows 7 DVD. Select custom install option which will give you a list of hard drives and partitions. Select the Windows 7 partition on HDD-1 and reformat it then install to it. It will automatically keep the dual boot menu.

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2015
  3. Roxie2401 Win User
    Hi - Actually, I don't know how to create a new user account when I can only seem to run the Task Manger.

I'll run the sfc /scannow - got nothing to loose.

And with the difference in the number of files and folders in the Windows.old vs. what's in the Windows folder in the Win7, I'm not sure I even what to think about that roll back.

Roxie2401, Nov 25, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If you want to keep an installation of Windows 7, I think your best course of action is a clean install.

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2015
  5. Roxie2401 Win User
    At this point, I agree. Probably wasted a lot of time on this already.

Is this just by using the Windows 7 Pro upgrade disk? Will it give me a choice as to which partition I want the Win7 to reside? Will I need to change boot manger or will that happen automatically?

Still bugs me that everything seems to run, just not the login.

Roxie2401, Nov 25, 2015
  6. Roxie2401 Win User
    Solved - sort of. Found that I had an image of the Win7 HDD-1 partition. It was not current, but rather than doing a new install, I figured at this point it would be worth having Macrium restore that partition from the image. Booted just fine.

I still have no idea what happened during the Windows 10 upgrade of the Win7 HDD-0 partition that would have affected the other location. Obviously something clobbered files since scf /scannow found damaged files but could not repair them.

Thanks for sticking with me during this issue. Much appreciated advice.

Roxie2401, Nov 26, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad you got it fixed!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual-Boot System upgraded to Windows 10, now Win7 gives LogON error - Similar Threads - Dual Boot System

2. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop: This is probably an unfair question to ask in this forum. But given the depth of expertise, someone might have advice to offer! I have recently done successful clean installs and activations of Win 10 with the help of Shawn Brink's tutorials and advice from other forum...
  3. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  4. I have a dual boot with win7 & 10.

I have a dual boot with win7 & 10.: Well I started to use the crappy one {10} since you aren't going to support your best product ever. Well as soon as I got using it for first time it crashed. And now I can't get either os to work. And I also forget how to change the command prompt. And what drive will my...
  5. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  6. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  7. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  8. XP failed after upgrading win7 to win 10 of dual boot with XP

XP failed after upgrading win7 to win 10 of dual boot with XP: Several weeks ago I upped to windows 10 on a dual boot system running windows 7 and XP. Win7 and XP are on different partitions. Over the last week, the XP would not boot unless it was directed to the last successful configuration. I attempted system restore from XP with no...
  9. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010