Windows 10: Dual boot system

Discus and support Dual boot system in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by joemurphy6, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Dual boot system

I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives

I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting software

her computer is running windows7(OEM), intel,I5 3rd or 4th gen(3XXX), 8gb memory, and 500gb hard drive. the computer is a Dell optima7010

She need to upgrade to new software that operates under windows 10 professional, but still needs toaccess the old software and data under win7 but cannot afford or have the space for another computer. She would only need to access the older stuff occasionally

To me it seems the best way is to set up a dual boot system using 2 different hard drives. The old drive cold left as is and win10 and new software installled on new drive.

How would the licensing for windows work. Can you have 2 versions of window licensed for the same computer at the same time. regarding the dual boot it seems that I can default to win10 boot then when win7 is needed can hit a fnction key to select which drive to boot from. Plan on putting win10 on a 1 TB drive,

any issues here. Is there a better way to accomplish this.

thanks in advance for any help

:)

joemurphy6, Dec 14, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Dec 14, 2019
  3. Dual Booting

Please follow the steps in the tutorial for how to post the screenshot. I cannot even see Disk 0, 1 and 2 on the drive map, and the columns were not spread so i can see the labels in the listings above even though it lllustates how to do this.

As long as you don't have a UEFI install then you can move the boot loader to Windows 10 so that it manages the Dual Boot using it's menu, add the Dual Boot back from there. These same steps using EasyBCD should do it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/209885-boo...

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 14, 2019
  4. adj592 Win User

Dual boot system

No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10)

I thought I'd just post a little guide.

This is the only thing that worked on my ASUS N55SF dual boot system: Win7 on HDD (MBR) and Win10 on SSD (GPT).

Step 1
    Assuming that you have already Win7 installed on your primary disk, install Win10 on your secondary disk.

Step 2
    When install is done, enter your BIOS and go to the Boot section. There you should see "Windows Boot Manager" as your default boot option. Change it so that your primary disk (where you have Win7 installed) becomes your default boot option (it should be something like "P0:" followed by your disk model number, mine is "P0: ST9750423AS"). Save and restart.

Step 3
    Now Win7 should start automatically (no boot manager showing up). Enter Win7, open an elevated command prompt and run
    bcdboot X:\windows
    where X is the Win10 system partition as seen from Win7, typically E, F, G or H.

Step 4
    Restart. You should now see the Windows Boot Manager (probably the Windows 10 GUI boot manager). Select Windows 10, install your audio drivers (if you already have, I suggest you uninstall them and restart before doing this), restart and you're done.

adj592, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

Dual boot system

1. Dual boot system - Similar Threads - Dual boot system

2. Dual booting from UEFI system

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual booting from UEFI system: I just purchased a new pc that comes with windows 10 home and uses UEFI for booting. I have a disk image of windows 7 from my old pc which used BIOS. I want to restore that image to a GPT disk partition and then setup a dual boot. Is this possible? How do I go about setting...
  3. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  4. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  5. Time delay in dual boot system

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time delay in dual boot system: I have a dual boot system with Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Every time I switch to Ubuntu and get back to windows, I find time is delayed 2 hours! I am using a Dell laptop. What should I do to fix this?...
  6. Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System: Dual-boot system Partition C:\ = Windows 10 Pro Partition E:\ = Windows 7 Pro Would it be possible to switch the OSs? I have applications to clone one partition to another but my concern are the already installed apps being functional. Did a Google search and all I found...
  7. Dual booting restart to other system

Dual booting restart to other system: I have dual booting setup on my pc my main system and my development system but to get the development system my computer first boots the main one then asks me which os i would if the main one it goes right to as it already loaded but if it is the development system it will...
  8. Dual booting and system imaging

Dual booting and system imaging: Hey. So i currently have Windows 10 pro on my wd blue nvme 256gb and i have 500gb ssd for storing my games. I will get a another 500gb ssd for other media like videos and photos. I would like to get into video editing and that leads me to "how to do this". I want to dual...
  9. Reinstalling Dual Boot System - Maybe

Reinstalling Dual Boot System - Maybe: Since Windows 8.1 core OEM has the Sear.ch malware on it and I have a Windows 8.1 Pro key, I'm going to format the partition and reinstall. I have the flash drive ready with Windows 8.1 Pro on it. At the same time I'm going to format the partition and reinstall Windows 10...
  10. How to install on a dual boot system?

How to install on a dual boot system?: I have two systems. System 1 is a desktop running W7 Premium SP1. I did clean install of W10 from iso on separate partition. W10 will not activate using W7 numbers. I suspect that is because I moved W7 to an SSD 6 mos. ago and W10 expects the old HDD. BTW, installed W10 to...