Windows 10: Dual boot. Two problems.

Discus and support Dual boot. Two problems. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Problem 1 *Smile I've successfully installed W10 to dual boot with Vista. It works well but for one irritation, which is that I am asked for my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooly, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Mooly Win User

Dual boot. Two problems.

Problem 1 *Smile

I've successfully installed W10 to dual boot with Vista. It works well but for one irritation, which is that I am asked for my password every time I select and boot to W10. I get that multi-coloured W10 rainbow lock screen ? the one that you click and it then changes to the normal password screen. Once into W10 I can confirm that the OS is still set to NOT require a password (on the netplwiz screen).

So why does it ask for one ?

(A bit more info if its relevant... the Vista install can be considered a normal clean install. The W10 installation was added onto the D partition by restoring a working Acronis W10 image to that partition. The W10 image up to this point was a clean install in its own right on its own HDD. No dual boot. It was configured NOT to require a password and in use it never did. Once that image has been made into a dual boot with Vista it does ask for a password)

Problem 2 *Smile

Explorer in Vista shows both installations as can be seen. The C and D partitions. Look at this in W10 and the Vista partition doesn't show.

Dual boot. Two problems. [​IMG]

And one partition is missing in W10.

:)

Mooly, Oct 10, 2014

2. Dual Boot for dual boot windows 7 and 10 on two separate hard drives

Hi Jay,

Thank you for updating us with the status of the issue.

I suggest you to enter on BIOS settings and change the boot priority and check if it helps.

You can enter in your BIOS when you first Power On.

There should be buttons or text that informs which keys to hit on the manufacturer logo environment on the start up of your system. Once you are in BIOS settings, there should be a Tab for Boot Order. Select Internal hard drive as your first boot priority
    and CD/DVD/USB as second and save the changes.

Check if it helps. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 10, 2014
  3. Dual Boot for dual boot windows 7 and 10 on two separate hard drives

Sorry for my first post it was some what unfocused.

The issue are you facing is that when i turn on my pc and let it boot up normal in to win7. a Black screen saying Remove disk or other media
    press any key to restart.When i click that it runs Check for consistency. Diagnostics test came out ok . it Only does it every time
    after i boot in to win 10. If i just boot in to win 7 only it run fine.

Yes im able to boot to Windows 7 from dual boot login.

Before i installed my sdd for win 10 i unplugged my hdd with win 7 on it and only reconnected it after win 10 was fully installed then rearranged my boot order having 7 then win 10

jayfromIreland, Oct 10, 2014
  4. Dude Win User

Dual boot. Two problems.

5. DavidE Win User
    If you look in Disk Management in Win 10 I expect you will see there is no drive letter assigned to the Vista partition.
    That would explain why you don't see the Vista partition in File Explorer.

I don't know why it's asking for a password.
    You can work through this tutorial by Brink and see if it helps.
    Log On User Account Automatically at Windows 8 Startup

DavidE, Oct 10, 2014
  6. Dude Win User
  7. Mooly Win User
    Thanks for your thoughts on this.

OK, firstly the password thing... I've possibly inadvertently "fixed" it by altering the default operating system to Vista. What I didn't realise was that doing that loses me the rather nice W10 boot manager screen. However it does now seem to boot to W10 without asking for log in details.

The other issue. Here are the screen shots and you can wee that in W10 the Vista partition is missing from the disk management console. Scrub that last sentence... I think David has the answer.

Mooly, Oct 10, 2014
  8. Mooly Win User

Dual boot. Two problems.

David *Smile I think you have it.

Mooly, Oct 10, 2014
  9. Dude Win User
    Like David said, you need to assign a drive letter

10. Mooly Win User
    Yes, it seems so. It gets a bit confusing because C is always the active partition in use.

Mooly, Oct 10, 2014
  11. DavidE Win User
    Yes, if you want to see the Vista partition in Win 10 just add a drive letter.
    I don't use a drive letter for other OS partitions on a multi-boot PC.
    It helps keeping things from mistakenly being placed on the wrong OS partition.

DavidE, Oct 10, 2014
  12. badrobot Win User
    Because when you boot up with W10, it takes over the C drive which is the default drive for OS in use. Just assign any letter to the Vista drive if you wan to see it.

badrobot, Oct 10, 2014
  13. Mooly Win User

Dual boot. Two problems.

Thanks folks. And that's a good tip on maybe not to assign a letter anyway.

One to called solved methinks... thanks.

Mooly, Oct 10, 2014
  14. DavidE Win User
    Another fyi about dual booting.
    Some Defrag programs can wipe out restore points on Other OS partitions.
    i.e. If you Defrag in Vista and the next time you look in Win 10 restore points have disappeared, this may be why.
    I don't know if this happens with Win 10, but it does happen in prior versions.
    There are ways around this.
    I use Backup Images so I'm really not concerned with restore points...

DavidE, Oct 10, 2014
  15. Mooly Win User
    Thanks for the tip. Its always interesting to know these quirks. Something I would never have associated is defraging one OS and it causing an issue on the other.

(like yourself I use backups (Acronis) extensively on my main set up and in fact have restore points disabled... any doubt over something and I'd prefer to restore a backup)

Mooly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual boot. Two problems.

1. Dual boot. Two problems. - Similar Threads - Dual boot problems

2. Dual Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot Problem: HiI recently installed windows 10 on a second hard disk. And now my old hard disk with windows 8 won't boot... I tried a bit with bcdboot but didn't manage. How can I get it to work?...
  3. Dual Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Boot Problem: HiI recently installed windows 10 on a second hard disk. And now my old hard disk with windows 8 won't boot... I tried a bit with bcdboot but didn't manage. How can I get it to work?...
  4. Dual Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Problem with Dual Boot

Problem with Dual Boot: I had installed Windows 10 and windows 7 on seperate partitions of a drive and the dual boot option was showing and working fine but now, i resized the partition Which failed in the process and now i don't see any windows 10 boot option at startup. My computer boots into...
  6. Dual Boot Problem

Dual Boot Problem: I have a dual boot desktop PC. One SSD is running Windows 10 Home, the other SSD is running an image of the first.I usually create a new image once a month or after a cumulative update and/or feature release has been providedI've just created an image using Acronis Disc...
  7. Dual Booting Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Booting Problem: In my computer I have 2 SSD. 1 is for my personal use. 1 is for work use. The work use one was cloned from my wife's work PC. I would like to be able to choose from either drive upon startup. However, upon installing the work SSD, it appears that it's drive letter is set to...
  8. Dual boot problems

Dual boot problems: I install some days before on a win7 system win10. Dual boot menu was starting at the beginning of every boot and i choose what i wanted. Windows 7 is very importand for me cause i have installed a digital signature on them and it does not work on Win10. Today this menu of...
  9. Dual Boot two Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot two Windows: Can I setup a Dual boot of two Window on same laptop having two different licenses? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-two-windows/fc7ec334-c03a-4172-8b7e-d25da81c6763"
  10. Dual boot problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual boot problems: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 pro configured as a dual boot system, business and personal. My business side boots fine, the personal side accepts password and then goes to a black screen with a mouse pointer showing, the pointer moves with mouse activity but does not...