Windows 10: Dual boot using vhdx file

Discus and support Dual boot using vhdx file in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Has anyone done this successfully? I'm trying to test this in a VM (VMWare Workstation) following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/djabbado, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Dual boot using vhdx file

Dual boot using vhdx file Y5ixW_zG7rntdL6OXzv76FGpFYerLP8ofTbfuTxwiWA.jpg

Has anyone done this successfully?

I'm trying to test this in a VM (VMWare Workstation) following https://win10.guru/native-boot-vhd-dual-boot-made-easy/. Everything seems to go to plan. However on rebooting I get the following:

https://preview.redd.it/2jmbhp5b4zq...bp&s=e39c987025210b6a496444e0ef5eee3d659985e0

The VM is booting in UEFI mode and Secure Boot is disabled so that's not causing the issue. Anyone know what could be going on?

submitted by /u/djabbado
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/djabbado, Oct 3, 2020

2. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

Just to clarify, you are using easy bcd to add the linux entry to the windows boot manager or you have installed linux with grub as the manager and that forwards the windows vhdx entries to the windows boot manager. It would help greatly if you put the quick order of your steps that I can follow, like:
    1. Add vhdx entries to windows boot
    2. install linux like a normal dual boot with grub.
    or does the order not even matter and you can add entries at any time and grub picks them up.

sticker592, Oct 3, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Repair HyperV Machine Boot (VHDX)

But then you have two full installs of Windows in the same VM and all you are using the second install of Windows for is a boot menu entry to boot the first install.

It would take less than 5 minutes just to recreate a System partition on the existing vhdx drive.

NavyLCDR, Oct 3, 2020
  4. Dual boot using vhdx file

DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.

Thanks for the tip but it's been a long time since I made the script and I don't remember much.

I'd like to check everything with you.

I read this tutorial to create the VHDX Create and Set Up New VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10. and this Problem creating GPT VHD automatically even if I haven't understood much.

For the installation of windows on the vhd I had found a tutorial but now I can't find it.

Can you help me find the remaining tutorials?

Do you know if there is a script already ready?

In the meantime, I fix the script a little (which is not finished) and place it as soon as it is done.

This is the steps in the script

1. backup bcd
    2. create vhdx
    3. apply windows image to vhdx (install?)
    4. add entry in bcd
    5. restore bcd

einstein1969, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

Dual boot using vhdx file

1. Dual boot using vhdx file - Similar Threads - Dual boot using

2. Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile: Right now I'm booting off of a VHDX file natively. Works great, except no matter what I do, Windows won't create or use a page file! I did some research, and unlike when the VHDX is booted in Hyper-V, native VHDX boot won't put hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, and swapfile.sys on...
  3. Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile: Right now I'm booting off of a VHDX file natively. Works great, except no matter what I do, Windows won't create or use a page file! I did some research, and unlike when the VHDX is booted in Hyper-V, native VHDX boot won't put hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, and swapfile.sys on...
  4. ISO or VHDX image file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ISO or VHDX image file: I am a iMac User running Sur. To use an app name3d Parallels to run a Windows 10 environment, I need to download a ISO or VHDX image file but cannot find it anywhere. Can you please point me in the nright direction?The message I receive during the Parallels installation is:...
  5. Native booting vhdx file not working

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Native booting vhdx file not working: I've been trying to native boot Win10 on a vhdx virtual disk. I'm following this guide: You are being redirected.... Everything seems to work as it should. But when I reboot the system the following error is shown: [img] I'm testing this in a VMWare VM with UEFI boot and...
  6. DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.

DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.: hello everyone, I need to try cortana reminders on the 2004 version. I have vmware but I would like to try to install on my hardware if possible with a dual boot. I would like to use native boot on vhdx file. I have seen tutorials and I have partially prepared a dos...
  7. how to Boot into a vhdx file

how to Boot into a vhdx file: Hi I have created a VHDX file attached it and cloned a copy of widows onto it ( which includes the boot sector)? What I want to do is add this to my boot menu and see if it works. I've read lots of tutorials but they mostly concentrate on making the VHDX file. I am a bit...
  8. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  9. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  10. Dual Boot Missing Files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Boot Missing Files: I have a dual boot system (WIndows 10 and Hyper-V 2016) I use the Hyper-V for development in a virtual environment and Window 10 for gaming. Each of the operating systems are on separate hard drives. I also have two RAID 10 arrays that I use for storing virtual machines...